saga insurace

rapidoman

Guest Tracker

A trailer will normally be covered for third party risks by the towing vehicle's insurance but only whilst attached to the towing vehicle.

This would, for example, also normally include any damage that the trailer inflicts as a result of becoming detached whilst being towed by the isured vehicle - but not damage to the trailer however caused - or any damage or third party injury caused by the trailer whilst not attached.

Check with the towed vehicle insurer for the precise wording as individual policies may vary.

Guest JudgeMental
I am sick to death with the constant barrage of postal offers from this company..... I have emailed and called them repeatedly and they still continue to send me junk mail! *-)

Guest ChrisB

I have the Saga motorhome insurance. For a few pounds (£6.30 pa in my case) they will add the trailer for full benefits (including loss/damage when detached).

I've been with Saga for a 2 years now and no-one has bettered their quotes (this was not true previously when I was with Safeguard). Cover and conditions are also very good (e.g. "any driver" cover in an emergency, no loss of NCD for vandalism claims...).

JudgeMental - 2011-05-17 2:51 PM

I am sick to death with the constant barrage of postal offers from this company..... I have emailed and called them repeatedly and they still continue to send me junk mail! *-)

Same thing happened to me because I had once insured my caravan through them. If you have one policy, they pass your details around all their departments. - Finally, after I had written to them many times with no effect, I called them, accounts I think, & they put me on a block list, so you get no more from any department unless you specifically request it.

And - it seems to have worked for a couple of years now.

Jeremy the L'aimeDuck

Been with SAGA for the last few years. Quote came in this year with a big increase. Called SAGA and reason was "to cover for boy racers and those uninsured" Well, If they want to take on the boy racers that has to reflect in the premium to them as I certainly am not making up there shortfall. I went elsewhere for the same as last year with better cover.

The SAGA mail is receding at the moment but will return next year at renewal time.

We were with Saga for a couple of years and then it went hugely. What annoyed us was that they charged an admin fee for any amendment you made such as going into secure storage in the winter and the premium even went up! Their overseas cover was good at 365 days per year and we had no problems with them but then we had no claims either.

We are with Caravan Guard now who undercut Saga by about £100 even with breakdown cover which we did not have with Saga.

malc d - 2011-05-17 4:28 PM

Saga could reduce their premiums all round if they would stop spending so much on postage, sending out unwanted junk mail.

:-(

I just look on the junk mail as giving employment to printers, helping keep our universal postal service and feeding our local recycling service so no losers just a bit more sorting of mail. Helped by the fact that their junk mail dept has made a very silly error in our address so I can spot them without even opening.

Edit to add - we have toad and tug insured with Saga, just in case!! Can see problems if insured with different companies in the event of a claim - you can just see the "it's the other company that covers that eventuality" letters.

JudgeMental - 2011-05-17 2:51 PM

Me too, had 4 in the last week all the same, one to me, one to my wife, one to both of us and one to me with name misspelt.

the way I deal with unwanted junk mail is to cross out my name and address on the envelope and then mark it "gone away" or "not known at this address".

It's hard to tell if it works though

squip

I have always thought that the only way to judge an insurance company is " How do they perform when you have an accident?" We have been with Saga since we got our motorhome 2 years ago,unfortunately in that time we have had to claim twice, both times for accidents in France. I have to say they performed excellently arranging for repairs to be undertaken as soon as we arrived back in the UK- this was our choice as the van was still roadworthy. The repairs were carried out excellently and on time by the repairers and Saga kept in touch regularly with regards to our claim against the Spanish driver in the second instance, this took only 3 months before settlement. We could not praise them highly enough. Also, they have been able to provide multiple policy loyalty discounts so that both our cars are insured much more cheaply through saga than available from other internet based insurers. There house insurance is also competitive. My only gripe is that they will not allow our 28 year old daughter to be a named driver on the cars.

And finally- the travel insurance they offer, particularly to those with notifiable medical conditions, is also very competitive.

Thats my opinion for what it's worth

bob

Was insured last year with Saga ,much cheaper and 12 months interest free payments .This year quote not competitive.Had a no fault claim no problems at all ,have sent me confirmation of no claims discount ,went with Comfort £40.00 cheaper with oversea breakdown

Do note that the firm behind SAGA Insurance is AVIVA - who used to be Norwich Union. This is a firm with an appalling claims paying history in the general insurance field. Hence the reason why the recent name change to AVIVA. If they had had a good reputation then any sane firm would have built on that name brand and good reputation.

But when you have a bad name and reputation - you change your name and carry on as before.

Now I deal with pensions, investment etc and I have no issue with that side of AVIVA's business - in fact some of their funds are very good - but so are many others. However, I regularly met with people that when I informed them that our research had indicated Norwich Union/Aviva as coming up as one of the top three, out would come the horror stories of their dealings with the general insurance side of that firm.

Hence now, when they come near the top we ask the question "Have you ever had any issues with...?" and so often the answer is that those who have been treated badly by this firm would not touch them with a proverbial bargepole as a consequence.

It seems to me that this firm now sells its wares by tie-ins with the likes of SAGA. It is the provider behind Tesco Insurance. In fact you can see a list - which I think is pretty comprehensive on the SayNoto0870 website:-

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

- this page lists most of the firms that Aviva/NU has tie ups with.

It does not surprise me on jot to find that NU/Aviva is using Direct Marketing to excess - Independent Financial Advisers and Independent Insurance Brokers do NOT rate this company highly on price, claims paying history or administration.

Hence my view that this company is marketing itself behind more trusted names.

I will post this on Chatterbox as well to get a wider audience.

As an FSA authorised individual I would urge caution when dealing with this firm - I have had far too many horror stories and seen the appalling claims paying history to recommend them.

CliveH - 2011-05-18 8:53 AM

It does not surprise me on jot to find that NU/Aviva is using Direct Marketing to excess

I assume that this comment refers to the previous reports of receiving unwanted 'junk mail' after contact with SAGA insurance. I'd just like to clarify that all of the 'junk' that I received was direct from SAGA themselves and not from any insurance company that may have been linked to them and in fact was not all insurance related: SAGA have many fingers in many pies and they like to let people know what the pies are ......... constantly.

Harvey

Saga has little (if any) current tie-in to Aviva. (I can't vouch for the past)

It is owned, (and has been for around 4 years) by a private equity group, Acromas Holdings, who also own, amongst others, The AA and the British School of Motoring.

The great majority of their policies are currently underwritten by Acromas Insurance, which I believe is also a part of the group. As Brian Kirby has pointed out in the past, it is interesting to note where this particular Insurance Company is regulated (....in Gibraltar 8-) ).

Research indicates that there are reciprocal and disclosure arrangements between the Gibraltar regulating authorities and those in the UK - the value of these I wouldn't feel qualified to comment on.

This from the FSA register:-

Basic details for:

228704 - Acromas Insurance Company Limited

Current status: EEA Authorised

Effective Date: 29/09/2003

Tied Agent:

Undertakes Insurance Mediation:

Registered under Money Laundering Regulations:

Address: The Saga Building

Middelburg Square

Folkestone

Kent

CT20 1AZ

Phone:

Fax:

Email:

- -

- -

Notices: For passported EEA firms, the home supervisor decides whether or not they are authorised to hold client money and/or client assets. If they are so authorised the home state client money and/or client assets rules apply.

Other information: Consumers considering or currently doing business with passported EEA firms ('EEA Authorised'), may wish to ask for further information from the firm or its UK branch about its complaints and compensation arrangements. This is because the position may differ compared to a UK authorised firm.

I have not seen what Brian has posted on this - but I am concerned that all the comprehensive complaints and compensation legislation that apply to a UK based insurer do not apply here with Acromas as it is a non UK firm. Same sort of situation as some had with the Icelandic Banks where they open a branch in the UK but the head office remains elsewhere. BEWARE! - if you have a problem you WILL have far more "layers" to deal with.

I would be very careful in dealing with this firm.

Again from the FSA website:-

Firm name Post code Previous/Trading As names Status Non-FSMA Registration

Acromas Holidays Ltd CT20 3SE Saga Holidays Ltd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aa Getaways, Aa Travel, Acromas Holidays, Connections, Driveline, Elegant River Cruises... Appointed Representative

Acromas Insurance Company Limited CT20 1AZ Saga Insurance Company Limited

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EEA Authorised

Novator Limited W1K 1RA Saga Capital Limited

No longer Authorised

Saga Personal Finance Limited CT20 3SE Saga Investment Direct Limited

Saga, Saga Financial Planning , Saga Share Direct, Saga Share Direct'S Frequent Trader S... Authorised

Saga Securities AS Saga Securities As

No longer Authorised

Saga Services Limited CT20 3SE

Saga, Saga Financial Planning, Saga Group, Saga Insurance, Saga Insurance Services, Saga Services Authorised

Societe d'Assurances Generales Appliquees (SAGA) Ltd Societe D'Assurances Generales Appliq...

EEA Authorised

WNS Global Services (UK) Limited. IP1 1LL Wns Global Services (Uk) Limited.

Bt Accident Management, Ensign Through Wns, Ge Capital Management, Hsbc Insurance, Invensys Accident Helpline, Markerstudy At Town & Country... Authorised

Interesting when you click the Saga Insurance link under AVIVA on the SayNoto0870.com website (link above does not seem to work - so go to www.saynoto0870.com and enter AVIVA in firm search box and you get a long list of names and departments that AVIVA markets itself as) you go to the SAGA website that states the insurer is Acromas - not a mention Aviva.

And yet Aviva is dealing with the administration!

Peculiar and more peculiar.

I will dig a little more.

Clive,

you do make some sweeping assumptions from dubious information you find on the internet! :-D

Personally, I'd rather trust the current information held on the Company website, and those of the regulators, rather than extrapolate something from a dubious entry on Saynoto0870.

The entry there implies that there might in the past have been a number of household policies arranged through Saga and underwritten by London and Edinburgh (a part of Aviva). It may be the case that some policies are still underwritten by parts of Aviva - though the SAGA website demonstrates that the vast majority, including motorhome insurance, are underwritten by Acromas. From my experience of SayNoto0870, however, I would suspect that this is simply an old link, pre-dating the current ownership of Saga (I know for a fact that the database does not get cleaned out very often).

Saga runs the administration of their policies themselves from their very large (and very swish!) offices in Folkestone.

Whilst I think the fact that they are regulated in Gibraltar raises some interesting questions, they (Acromas Insurance) patently subscribe to the UK Financial Ombudsman service, data being available for the last six months which, admittedly via very brief perusal, indicates a low complaint rate, with a significantly lower than average proportion settled in favour of the complainant.

Saga Services Limited (in this case as I see it, the broker) are (UK) FSA regulated.

Whatever the circumstances, to paraphrase a saying, "If you sup with an insurance company use a long spoon" - you just might need a slightly longer spoon in this case (one that reaches to Gibraltar :D )

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2011-05-17 4:22 PM

Called SAGA and reason was "to cover for boy racers and those uninsured" Well, If they want to take on the boy racers that has to reflect in the premium

I thought Saga only insured the over 50's 8-) ..............so why should the boy racers affect our premium *-) ..............

I'm with Saga on the camper, but did find a cheaper quote but things got a bit busy for a while so didn't get round to changing :D

I would not touch AVIVA with a barge pole stretched half way round the world!!!

Our experience of them: we currently have a case pending with the Ombudsman against them on how they rejigged one of our endowments just before it was due to pay out ... much to THEIR favour, with NO notice to us whatsoever, so we didn't know of the shortfall until there was less than a month before it matured!

Fortunately for us as it was only one of several endowments we had the amount wasn't massive (about £2,000) but to others, with a much larger endowment amount covered, it could easily have been disasterous as they wouldn't have had anywhere near enough to pay off a mortgage.

Hopefully the Ombudsman will decide in our favour but I'm not holding my breath.

many thanks to all who replied it all seems to much of a nightmare :-S so think i will stay with comfort for the bit extra.better the devil you know as they say, one final point, when you speak to saga each person has a different view/opinion on the various queries brought up which does not instill confidence (!) now lets hope we don't get bombarded with junk mail >:-)

Archived