Inurance-Again!!

Mike B.

Hi

Just renewed my insurance on the van and quite interestingly it is cheaper than last year in spite of everybody warning of 30 or 40 % increases etc this year.

I have stayed with Safeguard as it suited me and this was the upshot:

Discussed with Comfort in the MMM lounge at the show and got what I considered to be a really low quote, then added in legal, then overseas breakdown and it was around same as Safeguard albeit with no NCD and a £250 excess rather than £100.

Renewal from Safeguard arrives and I telephone them for a discount (Quoting Comfort!) and straight away they offer me and extra £25 loyalty discount. My argument that they should offer me that without brainbashing them fell on deaf ears as did the request for £60 discount for MMM member discount-you've guessed it BRAND NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY!!!!

Anyway in the end got Fully comp, UK/Overseas breakdown, Legal protection, Towing the bike or pup uk/abroad for the sum of £312 which I am happy with as last year was £357.

Never had a problem with them and always found them easy and pleasant to deal with-hence why mend it if not broken? £6 per week for £40k worth of van doesn't sound a lot really does it?

Mike

Interesting Mike. I once asked Safeguard for a quote and after a lengthy question and answer session they asked if I had an all singing dancing alarm system which I did not which then terminated the quote. This really annoyed me as if this is a requirement, why not ask it first.

Do they still require an alarm system? The quote was for a £35K Kontiki living way out of risk areas

Edit Add Safeguard

sshortcircuit - 2011-05-17 4:14 PM

Interesting Mike. I once asked Safeguard for a quote and after a lengthy question and answer session they asked if I had an all singing dancing alarm system which I did not which then terminated the quote. This really annoyed me as if this is a requirement, why not ask it first.

Do they still require an alarm system? The quote was for a £35K Kontiki living way out of risk areas

Edit Add Safeguard

Hi

Can't say definitely as they didn't ask. However, I have a Thatcham cat 1 alarm on the van which was part of the original package. Obviously they would know from past Q&A that I have one but not sure if it is mandatory. On saying that, as we tend to use aires/stellplatz and wild camp it is mandatory for me for my peace of mind when I go to sleep!

Mike

Mike B - I wonder if you were overcharged last time!

When we got our renewal it had gone up by around £70. Hubby rang round various companies and they had all gone up, all of them much more than our renewal price, however when we were at Peterborough I won a £50 voucher on the Safeguard 'Spin to win' wheel so that brought it back down to a reasonable sum again. I too was disappointed that the £60 MMM subscribers discount was for new customers too.

Guest peter
Spoke to Safeguard today and they require a Cat 1 alarm or tracker on all vehicles over 40k. Costing me well over £500 for my 2008 LeVoyageur. Greedy barstewards.

Archived