removing rear lights in panel van conversions

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
I had a bike rack fitted on Friday...because the e bikes have longer wheel base and obstruct lights a bit, I need to carry a tow board with lights and number plate. I booked van into auto electrician today and he called saying he could not remove rear van lights as furniture in the way.... I mean how do you change a bulb if you cant get to the back of lights! *-)

You can get a Fiat cable that plugs into the wiring harness under the van. Not cheap, but perhaps a better solution than a relay system with potential canbus problems. Haven't a clue how to change the rear bulbs on your vehicle but the handbook should tell you. On ours there is an internal removeable panel on each side.

Most X-250 bike racks (Fiamma and Omnistor) have the rack above the lights. Presumably yours is different which probably isn't a bad thing as you need arms 6' long with them.

Edit - Here's the eBay link for the harness http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Fiat-Ducato-Towbar-Wiring-Harness-50901586-New-/150604601480?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item2310bbd888

I would be asking this question of the converter, and very soon because this would seem to be a HUGE oversight and they are completely responsible for finding a solution since in it's current state it falls foul of construction and use regulations.

Nick

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Rolyk and Nick!

I think the chap was to busy to look properly...as there are two plastic pocket inserts above lights inside on both sides, and I am sure these allow restricted access. We did discuss this but he said he could not see how to get to bottom bolt...I will have a look tomorrow :-S

chap said can bus thingy also has to connect in behind light as well. I called local service agent and chap I need to talk to not there till tommorow. if you fit can bus lead do you not still have to go to Fiat to get them to tell ecu to recognise the thing??

EDIT:

Oop's

Just had email from Adria complete with instructions and photos on how to remove lights *-) ( as above) what a donut....Both me and the electrican :D

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2011-05-17 8:11 PM

Is it like me globecar? nearside easy to access throu rear storage compartment, offside has a removable panel in gas compartment.

I think the electrican threw me and its not that bad (says he who has not looked yet:-S) there is a plastic storage pocket either side above bed? for glasses clock etc.... you just remove them and struggle to get to bolts I imagine...although photo instructions Adria sent me look straight forward enough..

Guest JudgeMental

have had a look and removed pocket so you can get to back of light (just about :-S )

auto electrican says it should work with canbus and he was just using a ducato wiring kit with relay...

OR should I pay up for the expensive Fiat canbus adapter*-)

If he thinks it will work, leave it to him, on the basis that if it doesn't, you pay the extra over cost of the Fiat connector and he carries out whatever additional labour is required to swap it over at his own expense. If, in the process, he buggers the canbus and it has to be reset by a Fiat dealership, he pays for that, too.

Should result in a quickish indication of his real competence and confidence! ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Brian! :-D He had not ordered a Ducato kit (he thought I said diablo :-S) So I have to call him Friday.....Getting there.

This fitting out a new van is expensive...I am hemorrhaging money! *-)

Archived