Draining Down Fresh water systems

HymerVan

For various reasons our first trip this season has only now been completed and we have a leaky fresh water system. The leaks are in the washroom, probably a split pipe or connection around the area of the tap (which doubles as the showerhead). Last winter we had the coldest weather for decades and I tried my best to drain water and left all taps open etc. I suspect this is frost damage (although when the dealer did my hab service they failed to pick it up).

Anyone got any tips about how to FULLY drain the system etc ? Has anyone used pumps to blow water out etc ? I have a vague recollection of such an accessory being advertised.

Oh and yes I know we are going into summer but I am just planning ahead !!

Did you just drain the tanks or did you drain if fully using the drain taps as well. If you missed the taps Hymer usually fit them at the lowest point on the system often hidden under a draw not that obvious if you don't know where to look. The shower head should be raised to it's full height when draining.

Also not unknown for the shower trap to freeze & crack in cold winters, use a syringe to extract water via plug hole.

Guest Tracker

Open all the taps and blow back down each until no more water cames out the others will help. I use a length of plastc tube as my head is the wrong shape to get under the taps!

Run the pump dry with the tank empty - but not for too long as it won't do it any good running it dry!

Ensure the hot and cold tanks are both completely empty by leaving the drain taps fully open for a while until no more water dribbles out.

By doing all this you might have to suck water up through the pump and taps (with pump running) to prime the pump when you refill but it's better to get a face full of water than burst pipes or tanks!

Hi . When I drain our Hymer, I open all the drain taps, freash and grey,the boiler one is under the wardrobe, switch 12 volt supply off, open all taps, lift shower hose up to drain. When water has stopped flowing I rock the M/H backward and forward in 1st and reverse, to dislodge any standing water. Then finally pour some screen wash (this contains antifreeze) ,into the waste traps. Survived so far including last winter.

Brian B.

Guest Tracker
thebishbus - 2011-05-18 6:34 PM

Then finally pour some screen wash (this contains antifreeze) ,into the waste traps. Survived so far including last winter.

Brian B.

I find it easier to just put the sink plugs in place - but then I like sink plugs anyway and hate to think of them sitting all alonesome in the drawer!!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-05-18 8:28 PM

I find it easier to just put the sink plugs in place - but then I like sink plugs anyway and hate to think of them sitting all alonesome in the drawer!!

This is why there are no plugs in europe because we have a international plug barron living in Norfolk :D

Alternatively find a garage for your camper, as the only time we had frost damage was whilst it was outside waiting for the garage to be built.............but this winter minus 17 8-) .......so had the heater on in the van in the garage 8-)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all contributions.

Yes I did open all the valves etc !!

I e-mailed Hymers service dept at Bad Waldsee with photos etc, (they did very efficient work on the Van last year) and they have come back with advice that the problem area is very likely to be the tap in the washroom (which of course points to inadequate draining).

Browhills were glad to take the van in for repair but warned that they might not hold the neccessary parts. If they didnt have the parts and a return visit was needed that would make a double return trip of 1000+miles. On that basis taking the Van to southern Germany for repair (circa 1500 miles + ferry) looks an attractive option if my local dealer cant fix.

Archived