Satellite systems Dome or Dish

postnote

We are looking to purchase a Satellite system for our 696g but as yet really don't know which way to go. I'm impressed arriving at an Aires to see all the big Oysters pointing in the same direction like sun flowers however believe they are susceptible to in high winds.

My question what is the better system now dome or disk??

Thanks

We had a Tracvision R4 Dome fitted on our van and I was well impressed with it..Well once they had fixed it after I had told them at one of the NEC shows how bad it was or wasn't working..when I explained what was wrong they couriered the part to the NEC and came and fixed it and it was great after that

Not susceptible to strong winds and the Tracvision R5a will track as you drive...I would say go for the dome!!

Guest JudgeMental
what is the opinion of a Dome on a panel van.......Do you think it will look to big? :-S

Just gone thro the same thouhts

In the end went for a dome .

It is wind proof, all the bits outside are under cover , Roadpro are offering a 5 year guarantee on camos domes and it was a bit cheaper than a dish set-up

So I forgot about the impressive dish on the roof

HWO

I have had an oyster 60cm dish fitted for 5 years and only once had trouble with strong winds. Otherwise i have normal Tv as far as Berlin and the south of France .

If you go for a dish bigger is best.

They are very stable.

Its a matter of choice. i do see what you mean when the dish is rotating and finding the signal.

I would think the dome internals are a lot smaller have any of the magazines tested the difference.

Pete

If you need satelite TV while mobile for the kids then a dome is a must, otherwise save some cash and have a dish.

One on here has a Camos dome on the top of his Murvi Morello.

Occasional failure of the toothed belt which drives the internal dish so carry a spare.

C.

Guest peter
It would have to be a very strong wind to upset an Oyster dish, as they are as tough as old boots. That 85 cm dish might look flimsy but its backed up with a very substantial spine that's really rigid. It must be it weighs 18 kgs.

I currently have a CAMOS Dome on my van (On the move version), not that good 'On the Move', whilst it does pick up a signal anytime you go down dips or drive where there are tall trees the signal gets lost. However the 'On the Move' dome (and I would suggest the internal bits and pieces) are slightly larger than the standard dome which may be handy when foreign touring. On our old van we had the standard dome with a FTA (Free To Air) satelite receiver and could get UK TV into Northern Spain. Both domes were Auto-Seek so once switched on it would as the name suggests automatically seek the last satelite it had been latched on to.

Advantages of a Dish rather than a dome is that if you get one large enough then you should get UK TV a lot further away than you would with a dome. Also, you can generally fine adjust the position of the dish which you cannot do with a dome. When in Scotland I could not get a signal because of a tree, however, a chap with a dish was able to adjust his dish position and got a picture.

Although the dishes are fairly secure it is always adviseable to put them in the lowered position when not in use or at night........just in case. No need to do this with a dome.

As for domes on smaller vans, I have seen quite a few of these on sites and they look okay (IMHO), better than a dish which would make you look like one of those mobile news reporting vans from the BBC or SKY :D

Guest JudgeMental
It would really help if people could put in their avatar what camper they have....It ain't that hard. *-)

It all depends on what you want to receive and where.

A 40cm dish in a dome verses an 85cm Oyster with auto skew or for that matter a Katherein CAP 900 - no contest when you are at the edge of the footprint - Portugal, Southern Spain or south east Germany. In these areas you may get Sky News and some of the other channels on the southern transponders but if you are an avid Eastenders, Corrie or for that matter Eurosport fan you would be disappointed with a dome.

If you don't intend to leave the UK then a dome will probably be ok with the exception of the very north of Scotland where it may not depress low enough to lock on to Astra 2.

We have an Oyster auto skew and it received the difficult Astra 2D channels (BBC, ITV etc ) on the Algarve this winter - something you will not expect from a dome.

Another thing to consider is whether the controller will allow you to pick up all satellites. Some have a set number of pre programmed satellites and won't let you "manually" adjust to others. Again whilst we were in Portugal and being bored to tears with the Sky offerings I merely told the dish to go to Arabsat at 26 degrees and watched a whole host of programmes in English (with Arabic sub titles) and all for free!

Judge asks what a dome looks like on a panel van. I considered one very seriously but having seen a white dome on a blue Trigano Tribute at one of the shows I was distinctly unimpressed as the proportions looked ridiculous. There are also height issues on ferries possibly taking you over the 3 metre pricing restriction with some ferry companies and maybe even on French tolls for those who use them. A smaller dome would probably look OK but then you have reception difficulties if you want to use the van in certain countries.

If you have a white van a low dome such as the Tracvision probably wouldn't look too bad but another option is to paint the dome the colour of the van as long as you don't use metallics. Eventually I opted for a 65cms dish on my panel van.

May I also echo the comment that posters should specify the make of their vans under location; it helps to answer questions

JudgeMental - 2011-05-19 1:13 PM

what dish did you get Mike?

when folded can you see it?

Teleco 65cms. Of all dishes the Teleco fits the flatest to the van. Would have liked the 85cms dish but had insufficient room but am getting good reception deep into Spain from the 65cms. Make sure you buy from a fitter that is able to skew the lnb with a meter. Originally mine was fitted without a meter and performance was poor. Got it from here:

http://www.adventure-motorhomes.co.uk/index.html

Very helpful chap; attends most shows and fits accessories for several main dealers. Mine is painted the colour of the van (minus the metallics) which was done FOC.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Mike!

did you get the flat sat? what receiver box did you use?

can you get Arab sat etc....

JudgeMental - 2011-05-19 3:22 PM

Thanks Mike!

did you get the flat sat? what receiver box did you use?

can you get Arab sat etc....

Yes the Flatsat. The receiver I use is the Maxview which is identical to the Silvercrest/Comaq Lidl/Aldi box on my previous van but I also have the small Pace Skybox piggy backed onto it.

I have only used the Astras and Hotbird. As for Arabsat 26 its something I have been meaning to look into but as I'm away for a couple of months from saturday and won't be going much further south than Barcelona I shall get everything I need. When I take my Autumn trip to Portugal then Arabsat would be useful.

Frankkia - 2011-05-19 12:29 AM

with the exception of the very north of Scotland where it may not depress low enough to lock on to Astra 2.

/QUOTE]

North of Scotland is fine on a dome, we were at Dunnet Head which is slightly further North than John O'Groats and received all channels on Astra 2.

Guest peter
JudgeMental - 2011-05-19 12:02 AM

It would really help if people could put in their avatar what camper they have....It ain't that hard. *-)

I would have done but I didn't want to make all you lot with PVC's feel inferior. :D

Oh O/K then, it's a LeVoyageur A Class on the three pointed star chassis. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
jointerjohn - 2011-05-20 11:15 AM

hi judge mental how do i put an avitar on my details please keep it simple thanks

Hi just click on "profile" tab on the left...all the best :-D

lennyhb - 2011-05-20 10:34 AM

We have an 85cm Oyster signal does drop out in gale force winds other than that it's been pretty good even an 85cm dish won't pick up Astra in East Germany or the Baltic coast.

We have managed to pick up Astra 2 (including 2D) as far over as Prague and Gdansk. It requires a sensitive adjustment to the LNB skew but it can be done - either that or the Oyster 85 twin with auto skew.

Cheers

Archived