Pop-top caravans

Guest Minty37

Guest Minty37
Does anyone know where I could find out a bit more about pop-top caravans. I've only got a small garage and there's a restriction on storing caravans on the driveway's on our housing development. Minty

Guest Eagleyes
We saw the new Hymer Feeling at the NEC show and it looks great. It's a bit pricey, but it seems well put together and I think they're going to up-spec if for the UK. I think Which Caravan will be testing it soon, so watch this space. EE

• 3 weeks later...
www.eriba-uk.com If you live near Gloucestershire their show rooms at Lechlade-on-Thames are very good. Eriba is connected to, or belongs to Hymer so they are well built, with quite a veriety of lay-outs. I have seen one towed by an open sports car.

• 3 months later...
I believe Rapido ceased manufacturing caravans a few years back, but secondhand models remain popular in the UK. Other makers of pop-ups are Rubis and Fleurette and, as you are tight on storage space, you might also consider folding caravans. Visit www.campersandleisure.co.uk for examples of the various makes/types.

• 2 weeks later...

[QUOTE]Derek Uzzell - 2006-07-07 6:31 PM I believe Rapido ceased manufacturing caravans a few years back, but secondhand models remain popular in the UK. Other makers of pop-ups are Rubis and Fleurette and, as you are tight on storage space, you might also consider folding caravans. Visit www.campersandleisure.co.uk for examples of the various makes/types.[/QUOTE]

I think Fleurette, like Rapido, have ceased manufacture of trailer caravans to concentrate exclusively on motorhomes. 

The Rubis is a Trigano product and is, to all intents and purposes, identical to the Fleurette.  I know, because we had a Fleurette and I recently had a good "butchers" at a Rubis.  I gained the impression Fleurette had sold all the moulds and designs to Trigano.  Neat!

These is also Kip, a Dutch make. 

However, I think the daddy of them all is Eriba.  Good quality, universally acknowledged towing characteristics, and quite a good range of models.  Not, however, the cheapest option and some may be too high for your garage door.  They are part of the Hymer group, made near Colmar in France.

If contemplating any of the smaller, lightweight, pop tops, do check the payload.  You tend to get lots of nice looking cupboards, but as you fill them your van reaches its MTPLM quite quickly.  You'll need to be prepared to carry any heavy kit in your car.

• 1 year later...
We have the Trigano Rubis 310 and tow it behind a Skoda Fabia Diesel Est (non turbo) It will tow easily up to over 70 with not a waver though I normally keep to the legal limit. We get 45 plus to the gallon towing and the great thing is that if the car goes through a gap then the van will follow with an inch or two spare! We did not like the awning that came with it, 5 bags! It weighed a ton! So now I have made a conversion kit so we can fit a Sunncamp Scenic porch awning instead. Helps with the MTPLM too! (see Brian's post) See my wiki site for details of the kit. http://trigano-rubis-pop-tops.wetpaint.com

We have a pop top Freedom Discovery Microlite. To fit it in the garage i take the wheels off and replace them with some plywood discs i made. They are only about 10mm larger than the brake drums so it reduces the height another 16cm, its just low enough to clear the roof.

• 5 months later...
[QUOTE]Minty37 - 2006-03-15 10:47 AM Does anyone know where I could find out a bit more about pop-top caravans. I've only got a small garage and there's a restriction on storing caravans on the driveway's on our housing development. Minty[/QUOTE] :-) Hi Minty have a look at my reply to the Eriba Caravan thread, I kept mine in my Garage having said that I had the garage door "opening " made to measure when the Garage was being built ,and that was for an Eriba Triton two berth, ,We have had four Eriba ,s in all we started with a secondhand puck which was about 15 year old when we bought it and all it required was the seats recovering everything else was in working servicable order and belonging to the same people from new it was a credit to them, but the quality of the Caravan and fitments were really good to start with ,and still are, they are slightly smaller berth for berth than the other makes mentioned but I think Eriba,s are more aerodynamically Shaped, and they tow Brilliantly, you dont know they are on they are that well behaved, having said that I must Impress upon you I always had a Alko tow hitch /stabiliser fitted. Also a point to remember is at the time we purchased our Caravan new (2002)none of the range had an oven in them, send for a brochure to the address below ,and get yourself fully informed before you purchase anything. Long may your wheels turn , Corky :-) http://www.eriba-uk.com/contact_us.cfm

• 2 years later...
I seriously urge you to find the the full dimensions of your garage whilst looking for a pop top caravan You can find a Rapido Club 44t pop top caravan info here The beauty about a pop top caravan is the folding top, their interior are very cosy inside. If prefer pop top caravans to folding caravans, as they can still be stored in a garage ( as i said measure yours), but all of the facilities can be used whilst on the road.

These guys are quite good; http://www.campersandleisure.co.uk/ We had a folding caravan as our first move away from a tent. We loved it! Only sold it because we were lucky enough to be able to store it on a friends farm and so migrated to a full blown 5 birth tourer. Still like to see the little "Sugar cube" folding caravans - they really are a design classic. If we wanted to tour and had limited storage space - these things a fabulous.

• 1 month later...

Archived