Does anyone full time in a caravan?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just curious :D .......................I know loads of people have stayed in a caravan long term on a site or whilst they carried out a building project......................but does anyone fulltime? ie tug it round from site to site all year (?)

Yes I know for some people its their way of life, but I was refering to your bog standard home owner ;-)

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2011-05-18 9:16 PM

I used to live in a touring caravan during the working week. This was after I got fed up of living in hotels.

At the site where we stayed across from Dave's all the piches are super pitches..................which even in our old camper can work B-)

There was a caravan that was obviously long term as the hose was lagged 8-)................but it got me wondering if people in caravans tour in the same way as us campers (?)

Lived in one for three years. It was a little different in that it had very large wooden wheels with iron tyres with the shafts tucked under the body. A bit like a honeymoon house it were. hot in summer, freezing in winter.

An outside tap that iced up and needed a fire under it to get water and the thunder box way down the garden. Wonderful for two just married. I doubt it would be now for two wobbly old people.

art

We do not full time but we do spend one or two three month spells per year in our caravan touring Europe.

Last year we did Mosel, Rhine, Switzerland, some of the top of Italy and then slowly down to Spain.

This year it is Romantic Road, Austria and right round Italy.

Must see Pompei, Herculanium, Rome and Pisa and anywhere else the Judge will recomend when I manage to PM him :D Thanks Judge :D

We met a couple last year at Trebes that fulltime in their caravan. They spend 6 months onsite in Spain and when the prices rise for the season they tour going back to the UK once a year for the MOT on their 4 x 4 which was absolutely packed with their belongings. They have been doing this for 10 years.

No but did (in a previous life before divorce etc etc) plan too. Now I am able to afford a motorhome and spose its do-able if only finances etc would allow.

Personal pension not worth a bean, only just recovered (financially) from very unammicable and costly divorce 15yrs ago, the need for a daily soak in a hot bath due to acute sciatica and of course bussiness and family commitments dictate otherwise. Still we can but dream. :'(

We did but only while we were building in France, one of the major problems was that because we had no bills we couldn't provide 'proof of residence' so there were odd problems , like being unable to buy a French Mobile, we arranged assurance on the car before we moved and managed to persuade the Prefecture that our contract with the Builder was proof so that we could re register the car and save the trip back to the UK for MOT etc. We had no electricity and managed with a 2.5Kw genny and a domestic size Fridge. The tap for the Builders was 100 m from where we parked the van so a long hose worked  but it meant a treck to turn it off...We are metered so didnt want the risk of wasteing water, Grey and black waste was soaked away after digging a vast pit in the field we own, fun for 9 months but we became stir crazed and went motor homeing in Italy over the winter..pure luxury except the MH wasnt built to take the level of use while full timing and started to fall apart....it was only 6 months old at the time!!! So we sold it and two years later went for the Hymer, old but built like a brick...........

VERY interesting thread - hope lots of people with lots of experience and expertise post of their experience as this is what I would truly love to do in a few years time. We plan to "do" Europe as well as taking 6 mths in Australia and then another 6 mths in NZ. (family in both)

Our initial thoughts were MH but rather like the concept of moving from lace to place at a slower pace and having a caravan as a base for a few weeks and a tow truck as transport.

For us the jury is still out as to what is better - personally I have never had a problem towing - BUT I am not getting any younger. So the simplicity of a MH is very attractive. But I do not like the idea of being on the go all the time if you want to travel and see places compared with a caravan base and car to tour those places with.

Please - no diatribes on what method is best as I can see the benefits of both - but real experiences would be great. We will need to make a choice so others experience would be of real benefit. :-D

CliveH - 2011-05-19 10:48 PM  Our initial thoughts were MH but rather like the concept of moving from lace to place at a slower pace and having a caravan as a base for a few weeks and a tow truck as transport. For us the jury is still out as to what is better - personally I have never had a problem towing - BUT I am not getting any younger. So the simplicity of a MH is very attractive. But I do not like the idea of being on the go all the time if you want to travel and see places compared with a caravan base and car to tour those places with.

With a caravan there is the ability to park up and use the tow vehicle to tour round, making a thorough exploration of each area you visit.

With a MH you do need a second means of transport, it isnt always easy to park near a town centre and public transport can be variable. Many people have bikes or scooters on the back and if you are fair weather campers like us thats perfect,

I always thought that the ultimate rig might be a swb low roof van conversion (Fiat scudo base?) to use as a picnic van coupled with a 'clubman' 2 berth for overnight. *-)

Guest pelmetman

We have often contemplated going full time since we had the camper :D

We had thought our camper is to small to full time, but having spent over 4 weeks at Christmas, we didn't find any problems B-)..............So we are thinking about trying it from 2013 for a few years, we are thinking of flogging the house and buy a couple of flats for income, which added to Sue's state pension should be enough to keep me in the style I wish to become accustom :D ........

pelmetman - 2011-05-20 8:40 AM

We had thought our camper is to small to full time, but having spent over 4 weeks at Christmas, we didn't find any problems B-)..............So we are thinking about trying it from 2013 for a few years, we are thinking of flogging the house and buy a couple of flats for income, which added to Sue's state pension should be enough to keep me in the style I wish to become accustom :D ........

If you have the time, take a look at these particular blogs (touring Europe in small campers)

www.europebycamper.com - Currently touring Scandinavia - Lots of very good information including good places to park inside towns/cities (some of which are free)

www.stevegreenphotography.wordpress.com (Don't be put off by the title) toured France, Portugal, Spain using primarily 'Freecamping' and 'Aires' but also used sites. Gives lots of useful information and includes GPS Co-ordinates.

pelmetman - 2011-05-20 8:40 AM

David , The flats you talk of are they to rent out to tenants . If so out of experience of renting 3 houses I would suggest not to do it . Non payment of rent , property damaged , trouble with neighbours are just a few reasons not to . Just got rid 1 family , we had refurbed house 3 years ago and now they have left we have spent another 1500.00 bringing it back up to spec . Were going to sell it now , waste of time

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2011-05-20 5:56 PM

David , The flats you talk of are they to rent out to tenants . If so out of experience of renting 3 houses I would suggest not to do it . Non payment of rent , property damaged , trouble with neighbours are just a few reasons not to . Just got rid 1 family , we had refurbed house 3 years ago and now they have left we have spent another 1500.00 bringing it back up to spec . Were going to sell it now , waste of time

We know its a risk which is why we are thinking of two small flats rather than a house, if we have trouble in one then hopefully there will still be income from the other :-S ...........

We have rented out a house in the past, and were lucky in having good tenants :D

2013 is a while away yet, maybe interest rates will go up, and it will be worth putting it in a saving scheme, but I doubt it :D

PS thanks for the links BM, I'll have a look B-)

We lived full time in a 23ft, twin axled Coachman VIP for the first year or so of marriage, as my husband used to get moved around the country with his job, sometimes with only 12 hours notice. It was one of the best times of my life. Sure it got a bit cramped sometimes, after all touring 'vans were never really designed for living in, but we loved it. We were never too cold, even with a foot of snow on the roof. The only problems we had really were with finding a pitch. Not all the sites were open all year round, or if they were, they didn't want you staying more than 28 days.

I suppose my dad was a full-timer in a caravan. He was a skilled engineer in the fifties boom time, and would tour the country picking and choosing his employers. :D

Trouble is he took his wife and his four sons everywhere with him (I was no.3).

He only got a house when child no. 5 (a girl) came along. :-D

I was 6 years old before I got to use my own flush toilet. 8-)

Still got the 'travelling' bug, and just bide my time under the tiled roof until it's time for the next trip in the 'van, where I TRULY feel at home...

I would full-time tomorrow (in any type of 'van) if I could persuade Mrs o

knight of the road - 2011-05-21 8:53 AM

Full timing is all well and good, but what do you do to occupy your time? you cannot go sightseeing everyday can you?

What would you do if you stayed at home ?

Cleaning, Shopping, Laundry are just a few of the chores that still need to be done. The rest of the time depends somewhat on the individuals and their interests hobbies, I for instance would, in addition to sightseeing of local towns and villages, walking, cycling, swimming (Pool, Lake, Sea), Snorkelling, Photography, Reading (Kindle), Listening to Music (iPod), Emails, Blogs, TV/DVD's, Sunbathing or just relaxing and people watching........cor there just aint enough time in the day :D

Hi,we full time in our van,we work looking after caravan sites for eight to ten months of the year and for the remainder tour around Britain,we do have a house which the in laws have moved in but after two or three weeks we just need to get on the road again,we find our new 20ft caravan very roomy and cosy and when we are working we have a large awning with annexes and carpet tv etc to relax in,even in the winter without the awning the experiance is very relaxing watching the world go by even with the rain lashing down and the last couple of winters being snowed in on sites in the north of england and still enjoy good walks and meeting new friends and meeting up with old ones.The trick to full timing is not to let it be an ordeal,take each day as it comes and dont make too many plans.

regards Mark,Gail

co-staring Bud the dog

MARK3 - 2011-05-28 4:44 PM

Hi,we full time in our van,we work looking after caravan sites for eight to ten months of the year and for the remainder tour around Britain,we do have a house which the in laws have moved in but after two or three weeks we just need to get on the road again,we find our new 20ft caravan very roomy and cosy and when we are working we have a large awning with annexes and carpet tv etc to relax in,even in the winter without the awning the experiance is very relaxing watching the world go by even with the rain lashing down and the last couple of winters being snowed in on sites in the north of england and still enjoy good walks and meeting new friends and meeting up with old ones.The trick to full timing is not to let it be an ordeal,take each day as it comes and dont make too many plans.

regards Mark,Gail

co-staring Bud the dog

Sounds like an ideal lifestyle - well done for taking the plunge :-D

I am now going green with envy :D :D :D

Archived