european fuel prices

shirles

We're off to Ireland shortly for 3 weeks - yippee!!!!

As we'll be travelling in both Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic can anyone tell me which is the best place to fill up the fuel in please? :-D

Mel B - 2011-05-19 5:46 PM We're off to Ireland shortly for 3 weeks - yippee!!!! As we'll be travelling in both Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic can anyone tell me which is the best place to fill up the fuel in please? :-D

I would advise anywhere where they sell fuel would be a good idea have a good trip and keep off the Posheen it makes your knee's wobble. 

There's always been a good bit of cross-border trade in fuel in Ireland, some of it legal, and some of it not . B-)

The Republic is cheaper, though it would appear not by a huge amount at the moment (maybe 10-12p per litre on diesel), but still a saving worth making.

Enjoy Ireland, we did!

thanks for the info, am getting the ferry to hook of holland on sat. night and aim to spend a few nights in the hamlyn area of germany courtesy of tesco ferry vouchers so i won't fill up in harwich as holland looks cheaper.

shirles - 2011-05-23 12:07 PM

thanks for the info, am getting the ferry to hook of holland on sat. night and aim to spend a few nights in the hamlyn area of germany courtesy of tesco ferry vouchers so i won't fill up in harwich as holland looks cheaper.

If going via Luxemburg, Diesel will be cheaper than Netherlands.

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

(last updated 17-5-11

At the risk of sounding hopelessly complacent, if you're going, just go!

Fuel prices vary from country to country across Europe, mainly due to tax differences, and they fluctuate almost daily due to the present instability of oil prices. If you try to pick routes through countries with the cheapest fuel, the odds are you end up adding miles to your journey, and so spend more than if you'd just taken the nearest straight line. This was lies madness! :-)

The sad truth is that motorhomes have large frontal areas, so fairly high wind resistance, and most weigh over three tonnes, so the inertia of getting them going is significant. Driving off motorways, ours covers about 1.5 miles less per gallon than on motorways, but motorways are in any case so boring I avoid them unless I can't find a reasonably viable alternative route. I certainly wouldn't subject myself to that boredom for the sake of 1.5mpg! Neither would I forgo visiting a country I want to visit, because the fuel is a bit more costly than elsewhere, or visit a country I don't want to visit because its fuel is cheaper.

Just decide where you want to go, and go! Some things cost more here, other things more there, and in those same places, other things are cheaper. Fuel isn't your only travelling cost. The only cheap option is sell the van and stay at home, and even that has its price!

I'm inclined to agree with you Brian.

The maximum saving one could make by filling up an almost empty tank of a typical motorhome in the cheapest European location vs the dearest (excluding possibly the UK, Norway, and Sweden) wouldn't be much above 15 quid - certainly not something I would go out of my way for. *-)

However, if I knew where I wanted to go, and had determined a route that suited, I'd still find it useful to know whether the fuel price varied significantly so that I could target the best filling point along the route.

It would appear that the OP is doing the same - filling up en-route in the Netherlands rather than taking a full tank from the UK could well realise that £15-£20 saving, with little if any diversion. :-)

With the car in the UK, I don't divert to cheap filling stations, but I do take the opportunity to refill at cheap locations that I find on my route. If, by circumstances I find myself "running on fumes", then I just find the nearest station, and only part-fill unless the fuel is reasonably cheap.

Simple prudence ;-)

It's all relative really. A litre of petrol is currently about £1.36 here - South Oxfordshire. Diesel about 5p more.

A pint of a decent bitter is about £3.00, or over £5.00 per litre. Tragic!

Still going to have a few of both - just got to face up to it I'm afraid! :D

Jeremy the L'aimeDuck

Archived