Please help cluless new owner

treborsiwel

As the proud new owner of a motor home, note I have never even owned a caravan or tent before either. What would you say are the best pieces of advice you can pass on. As at the moment and having only spent one night on a site so far (very enjoyable), I am completely clueless as to what I should be doing on departure, arrival at site, how to best clean the van, store it etc. (in fact everything)

I did have a three hour handover from Marquis (and that was very very good) but still feel somewhat nervous on leaving my house and driving what appears to be another just over my shoulder!!

So any tips and advice will be greatly received.

To give you a feel for my motor homing skill, or lack thereof; I spent the entire first evening (between glasses of wine) trying to work out how to tune the TV. I did however, notice after several hours, that the “on” switch was off on the booster box!!!

Trust me episode with the Thetford 400 thing, took even longer!!

Me - thinks you will be bombarded with ideas! :D

My pennyworth....

Our checklist for leaving the site which is placed on the steering wheel._

Check List

? Empty Water tanks

? Empty Toilet

? Turn off Water Heater

? Gas Off

? Steadies Up

? Windows/Lights Shut

? Levelling Blocks

? Unplug Electric

? Fridge to Battery

? Check Site for items

? Return Site Key

You will still forget something, but it gives you a chance to have a giggle over your next glass of wine :-D :-D

Just enjoy the whole experience.

Jeremy the L'aimeDuck

treborsiwel - 2011-05-20 3:11 PM

As the proud new owner of a motor home, note I have never even owned a caravan or tent before either. What would you say are the best pieces of advice you can pass on. As at the moment and having only spent one night on a site so far (very enjoyable), I am completely clueless as to what I should be doing on departure, arrival at site, how to best clean the van, store it etc. (in fact everything)

I did have a three hour handover from Marquis (and that was very very good) but still feel somewhat nervous on leaving my house and driving what appears to be another just over my shoulder!!

To give you a feel for my motor homing skill, or lack thereof; I spent the entire first evening (between glasses of wine) trying to work out how to tune the TV. I did however, notice after several hours, that the “on” switch was off on the booster box!!!

I think that having mastered the glass of wine and tuning the TV that you are well on the way to enjoying your motorhome!

Nest thing is to get some nice comfy outdoor chairs and a BBQ.

David

treborsiwel - 2011-05-20 3:11 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum, and motorhoming.

My advice would be to avoid buying loads of gear until you decide what kind of van user you are.

Some tour and 'travel light' and some stay put more often and take everything, including the kitchen sink.

Have a few relative short trips until you get the hang of it all.

I would suggest that you join one, or both ,of the main clubs: Caravan Club and/or Camping and Caravanning Club. That more or less guarantees good facilities.

If you are over 55 you get lower rates on sites in low season with the C&CC.

Use campsites for a while but later you may want to experiment with more basic facilities, or even with no facilities at all ( referred to as wild camping).

best of luck

;-)

Bob, welcome to the Forum and motorhoming.

I'd just like to say what a joy it is to have someone who's just gone out and bought a van and is learning to enjoy it. We did just the same.

Whilst I appreciate it will be horrifying some folk - I'm not one of them. Good for you, you'll get plenty (too much quite likely) of advice, some of which will suit and some that won't, it will I'm sure however be well intentioned.

Martyn

We also own our first motorhome (2 years in now) although we were always fairly ardent campers/caravanners and I think the process is somewhat akin to what happens just after you pass your driving test - ie you can now start to learn to drive!

Personally I would join the local branch of the CC or CCC - or eg the Swift or Hymer or Pilote or whatever it is, Owners Club - in fact in your case the latter may be better for you at the mo - make yourselves known to the Rally organiser and go on some rallies. Other owners are delighted to help any newcomers whether truly new like yourselves or just new to that Group. Rallying may not turn out to be for you but you don't know till you try it.

Despite the PDI and the 2-3 hour handover at Marquis (LOL) we still needed to screw the cover for the fresh water tank down to the floor because Swift had forgotten to fit the screws! The carpets was over it, and we didn't find out until my foot sank through the hole when I went to the loo the first time! Fortuntely the cover hadn't fallen through but just 'jumped' out of the hole and progressed along the floor inside the van under the carpet. How daft.

Then the cooker refused to work in deepest France. Luckily our neighbours on the site were English and they said 'Are you sure the lid of the cooker is completely vertical, Jenny?'

:$

Hi and welcome,

Best bet is learn by experience. When I started I joined a club and members are generally friendly and helpful. As time went on I started to do my own thing but still stayed a member of ccc. The reason is they do what is called Temporary Holiday sites in the summer. No need to book. Low fees as there is no hook up ( use on board facilities ) and helpful stewards.

We have all made mistakes. Too small a page to fit all mine on but when you start talking to other campers you can have a laugh over it with that glass of wine. Thats the first mistake. Use tumblers as they are harder to knock over LOL

Richard

It may sound obvious, but always look back at your pitch before you go. If you are like us and end up putting things under the van to keep them out of the way, its the easiest thing in the world to drive away and forget something. We even managed to lose a step - and that was just outside the door! :-)

On which note, also remember to look under your van before you drive off, because none of those thing you may have put under it will appreciate 3.5 tonnes of van rolling over them! :-)

Also, do make a note, or some other reminder, to check the electric hook up is disconnected and stowed before driving off.

If you van has an external step that does not retract when the engine is started, invent a foolproof way of ensuring it is retracted.

If you van has rear steadies, and you use them, put the winder somewhere that makes driving away impossible, like on the driver's side cab floor by the pedals!

If using a sat nav, stick it on its perch and connect, so that it begins booting.

Make a habit of walking around the van last thing before you start it to drive away, and check in external lockers for loose items, then check all external hatches are fully locked shut, and all windows and doors fully secured. Then, enter through the habitation door, retract the step, lock the door, check all rooflights are secured shut (including the washroom one, where, check also the locker doors are all secure, no bottles etc are left out, the soap isn't still on the basin, the toilet flap seal is closed and seat and cover are down!), check the fridge door catch, check the fridge energy selector is on 12V, check all internal gas taps are off, ditto all lights are off, isolate the 12V supply, check hob/sink covers are closed, check all drawers, and locker/cupboard doors, are secured (especially kitchen lockers!), look for any loose change, watches, phone chargers, etc etc left on on shelves and stow, remove books, guides, etc from the table and put away, check for anything propped up, like walking poles, umbrella, etc and secure, make sure the cab doors are fully closed, and only then start the engine. I'll have forgotten something, I'm sure, but you'll get the idea. It's like a pilot's pre-flight checks.

Brian Kirby - 2011-05-21 3:20 PM

On which note, also remember to look under your van before you drive off, because none of those thing you may have put under it will appreciate 3.5 tonnes of van rolling over them! :-)

Also, do make a note, or some other reminder, to check the electric hook up is disconnected and stowed before driving off.

If you van has an external step that does not retract when the engine is started, invent a foolproof way of ensuring it is retracted.

If you van has rear steadies, and you use them, put the winder somewhere that makes driving away impossible, like on the driver's side cab floor by the pedals!

If using a sat nav, stick it on its perch and connect, so that it begins booting.

Make a habit of walking around the van last thing before you start it to drive away, and check in external lockers for loose items, then check all external hatches are fully locked shut, and all windows and doors fully secured. Then, enter through the habitation door, retract the step, lock the door, check all rooflights are secured shut (including the washroom one, where, check also the locker doors are all secure, no bottles etc are left out, the soap isn't still on the basin, the toilet flap seal is closed and seat and cover are down!), check the fridge door catch, check the fridge energy selector is on 12V, check all internal gas taps are off, ditto all lights are off, isolate the 12V supply, check hob/sink covers are closed, check all drawers, and locker/cupboard doors, are secured (especially kitchen lockers!), look for any loose change, watches, phone chargers, etc etc left on on shelves and stow, remove books, guides, etc from the table and put away, check for anything propped up, like walking poles, umbrella, etc and secure, make sure the cab doors are fully closed, and only then start the engine. I'll have forgotten something, I'm sure, but you'll get the idea. It's like a pilot's pre-flight checks.

Brian - do pilots really have to do all those checks? Even checking for soap in the basins?

Well.... swipe me with a Doily!! :D :D

Jeremy the L'aimeDuck

Further to Brian's thread.

We have developed the habit of packing everything away - all the time. This means that we are ready to leave the site after unhooking electric and stowing cable. That just leaves checking windows and securing all doors, especially fridge and utensil drawer.

He does the electric and She does the internal checks.

When touring we empty the loo and waste water at every opportunity, as well as taking some water on board.

Four other thing that may keep you out of trouble.

First, keep looking up when in car parks or sites. Not just overhanging trees, but also oddly located signs, low overhanging eaves and/or gutters, that motorhomes are tall enough to catch (expensively) but cars will pass beneath without problem.

Second, never just drive off a road onto a grass verge without looking carefully for the roadside ditch, or any tree stumps, half concealed in the grass. (If you hire a van, you will commonly find damage to roof and underside is not covered by the insurance. The above is why! :-))

Third, never drive onto a grass pitch without first getting out and treading the ground, unless you are absolutely sure the ground is rock hard. If in doubt, reverse part way in, and get out to look at the rear wheels before the front wheels leave the road. If the rears are leaving grooves on the ground, abandon!

Don't arrive anywhere after dark. Avoiding bits of building or landscape, or even soft patches, is sooooooo much easier in daylight.

Put your vehicle dimensions for height, length and width somewhere the driver can easily see them. Use metric and imperial measures. This will help you decide whether to go through narrow gaps and under low bridges. On height, don't forget to allow for anything on your roof such as a TV aerial.

My in-cab information sheet also includes tyre pressure and fuel/oil capacities.

Learn from your mistakes with good humour, befriend other motorhomers, be nice to wardens - they can be really helpful - and you will be fine. We all started like you and know the feeling.

Some people use tick lists before moving off such as check the step is in, check the electric cable is unplugged, check the gas is off, check the fridge is on the right setting etc

First job, tell us all what make of body and engine you have chosen, how many are likely to be travelling in it and are you the only driver, new or old and condition. Most M/H's have snags somewhere that are not serious but want adjusting so that if you say what make it is, it makes replying so much easier.

There are all types on this forum from Bangers to large RV's so give us the details and help will roll in. In general you will be told the truth so if its a reply you dislike be assured its well meant. Every one has been there before and problems when found have to be overcome.

There will be some you can sort yourself and some that need more indepth advise.

art

Thanks to everybody who replied, the responses have been really useful.

Hi motor home in question is a Marquis Majestic 145; which in essence is an Elddis Autoquest 145, 4 berths, over cab coach built. The only difference really being more accessories and better trim, oh and nice cab graphics if you like that sort of thing.

Forgot to add, the thing is brand new and is based on a MWB Peugeot 2.2 diesel chassis. Which I have to say drives very well and has incredibly comfortable seats.

I would say chat to fellow motorhomers, they are a fountain of knowledge, read this forum and ask questions, sometimes you get silly answers but just ignor them.

We enjoy going to the motorhome shows and looking round the stalls and vans, ideal oportunity to talk. Plus the entertainment isquite good.

Have fun.

Archived