German Stellplatz recommendations, please?

Gwendolyn

Posted this yesterday with a uselessly vague subject heading; so re-posting today with a more specific heading!

Having ‘lingered’ for a while over last 7 weeks, on lovely sites, we think that, in order to visit places we want to visit, AND have time to ‘linger’ in Switzerland before heading north to ferry in 6 weeks’ time, we realise we need to ‘charge’ through Bavaria…. And then ‘charge’ through the Black Forest after Switzerland.

Thus, maybe, now is the time to try Stellplatz [having not stayed on Aires for reasons given on ‘Sites or Aires’ thread.. not going to rehearse them here!] and move on, fast, through those areas.

So is anyone able to recommend specific Stellplatz, for beginners to the “Aires” concept, in / near:

Berchtesgaden, Chiemsee, Starnberergsee, Garmisch Partenkirchen, Oberammergau, Fussen [for Neuschwanstein Castle], Lindau, Titisee, Baden-Baden.

Go on… convert me to the “Aires” experience……

Get yourself a copy of the Reise Mobile International Bord Atlas Deutchland and Europa editions and you will find all you want to know. I personally have not found any Stellplatzes that I would NOT recommend, but obviously there are some better than the others, but again its down to your own personal preference.

I have the 2010 edition and I believe the 2011 edition is on the shelves at this moment.

Hi, Fussen for Neuschwanstein castle has a campsite and an aire type of parking, and there is a massive carpark just below the castle which is listed as an aire type. The car park we tried seemed not for motorhomes as there was a barrier, so we used Fussen camping itself. Others say the Aire is ok so worth investigating further.

Reise Mobile Stellplatz guide is well worth getting, we bought it before leaving UK. Hundreds of Stellplatz listed with satnav coordinates, but all in easy to understand german language.by pictograms.

We used many stellplatz on our journey dowm Romantic Road, and no trouble at all.

have fun, enjoy it.

tonyg3nwl

Thanks for the help. As it happens, we met a British motorhoming couple on our current campsite who have travelled through Bavaria to Austria, and echo what has been said - that the Stellplatz are excellent. They also said there are plenty of them - that you practically 'trip over' them... hope that is the case!!

www.campercontact.nl

You can get the Legend in English but the locations info is in Dutch. However, very useful, just go to menu bar on left and select the country you require. When search page opens just type in the nearest town name and will, if there are any available, provide a list with what facilities are available on the Stellplatz, GPS Co-ordinates, Photographs (if available) and I believe even a Google Map showing the location.

I will have a look for you later and see if I can come up with something for you. How big is your Motorhome just in case there are size restrictions ?

Chiemsee - Panorama Camping-Harras (www.camping-harras.de) This campsite also has a Stellplatz for up to 20 motorhomes. Right on banks of Chiemsee, local train station in Prien (To Munich and to Salzburg) - By coincidence we are staying on the capsite for 11 days in July/August !!

Garmish-Partenkirchen - www.alpencamp-gap.de. This is a Stellplatz for up to 100 motorhomes

Fussen - Abt-Hafner-Strasse 9 - 100 motorhomes up to 12m or Abt-Hafner-Strasse 2 - up to 40 motorhomes

Lindau - Reutinerstrasse - Stellplatz for 34 Motorhomes up to 12m

Titisee - Neustadterstrasse - Stellplatz for 30 motorhomes (48 Hr)

Do check out the Camper contact website it has loads of Stellplatz and Campsites with Stellplatz and much more information than I have included above. Also some very good photographs of the Stellplatz.

Big Momma - 2011-05-25 7:29 PM

www.campercontact.nl

You can get the Legend in English but the locations info is in Dutch. However, very useful, just go to menu bar on left and select the country you require. When search page opens just type in the nearest town name and will, if there are any available, provide a list with what facilities are available on the Stellplatz, GPS Co-ordinates, Photographs (if available) and I believe even a Google Map showing the location.

I will have a look for you later and see if I can come up with something for you. How big is your Motorhome just in case there are size restrictions ?

What a great site this is. Very easy to follow, thanks for pointing it out.

rupert123 - 2011-05-25 10:55 PM

Big Momma - 2011-05-25 7:29 PM

www.campercontact.nl

What a great site this is. Very easy to follow, thanks for pointing it out.

You have probably already sussed it, but you can also search by map and when I said that it was in Dutch, obviously if you use Google you can translate the pages into English.

Archived