moan about the bank again!

deerhound

I put money aside every week for when I want to use my boat, and due to bad weather etc I have managed to gather some coinage in £1,& £2, decided that due to amount (£400) I would pay it in my savings account, I put it in these sandwitch bags of £100 each and took it to local BOS yesterday at 3.30pm, Place was empty not one other person in bank, the three tellers and 1 gentleman sat next to them at a table were chatting, I was given the choice of who to go to, When I produced the bags of coins (along with notes to round off the amount) I was informed they could not take them unless I put them in BOS coin bags at £20 per bag? I thought she was jocking but was offered a seat at a table to put it in their bags, I asked why when I have been in bank before there have been customers emptying the contents of banks out and the teller has been counting it, I was informed this is not the case, I then asked if I could pay a bill with the bags of money, and again advised I would need to sort it out in bags! one teller advise me to take coins to local Tesco store who have a counting machine. I therefore asked for my savings card plus the notes back and left bank, I will close my account down on Monday with BOS. Is it just me or is there somthing going on with people now, they dont help they hinder! :'(

Guest Peter James
Bank policy. Same reason as they answer the phone with a machine instead of a person. Cutting staff to increase profits and Bankers Bonuses.

Guest Tracker

DO NOT use one of those counting machines as they charge you an extortionate 'handing' charge for taking but not actually handling your cash!

Post Offices will often change coins into notes for you and usually with a smile - if they are not too busy?

I don't know why anyone still banks with BOS - or any of the other major shysters - when there are better alternatives - and I would certainly reward BOS for their arrogance with closing my accounts if they treated me like that.

To be fair it is not unreasonable to put coins in appropriate coin bags so that all the counter staff need to do is check weigh them (£20 x £1 or £2 (not mixed) = 190 grams) and most banks will give you a supply of bags for this. You can use any brand of bank's coin bags in any bank as they are all more or less the same except for the name printed on them.

It's very quick and easy to count and bag coins so when you start your next collection why not simply bag them in £20 coin bags as you go?

Yes I will put them in bags and I can understand how the system works but perhaps it would have been nice to have been helped on this occasion rather than 4 people sitting chatting, I considered myself a good customer of BOS but now I am not so sure the customer comes first? I will close my accounts down and see how they handle it? >:-(

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2011-05-21 5:58 PM

There must be very few large organisations that truly put the customer first, whatever their advertising blurb says.

That's why they have become large organisations.

:-(

DITTO >:-(

Archived