Toilet Chemicals / Asda Washing Tabs

kelly58

On a friend's recomendation I've started to use Oxy granules. They seem to be successful although I've only tried them once and it left the inside of the cassette very clean after emptying. No smells and it completely breaks down the contents. Four scoops seems to be the right dose!

I got ours in the Pound Shop which will probably last for six or so emptyings.

I use bio washing tablets from Lidl. They work a treat. Several others on another forum do similarly. Various brands and either tablets or liquid. I foget the price of Lidl's tablets but they are much cheaper than using 'special' fluids.

I don't think that there is 'no smell' but i never found any of the toilet chemicals odour free anyway and I empty the cassette more often now anyway because of the reduced cost.

Try it and see. I think you'll get good results.

Harvey

Guest Tracker

Is there any feedback about damage to any of the loo seals as they are ridiculously expensive to replace - and a tad messy - which would soon negate any savings on liquids - quite apart from the 'inconvenience'?

I long ago gave up using the pink flush tank liquid because it encourages an algal growth in the water which looks unsightly as it squirts onto yer nice clean white pan!

Guest pelmetman

We are currently using up old stock of Sainsbury dishwasher tablets :D ..............Our dishwasher snuffed it a couple of years ago (lol) ...........they're doing a grand job of cleaning 20+ years of pooh scale from our cassette...........soon I wont be embarrassed to open my cassette hole in public (lol)

For the flush tank we use washing up liquid..............but beware don't be to heavy with the Fairy as you might get a very pretty bubble which stinks of **** if you pop it (lol) (lol)

Guest Peter James

Slightly off topic but I ran out of dishwasher tablets a couple of years ago, so used biological washing powder in my dishwasher. It seems to clean better, probably because the powder dissolves more readily (Netto's cheapest powder, as all the independent tests I have seen suggest the only difference between different brands of washing powder is the price ticket)

So I have never bought dishwasher tablets since.

Guest Tracker
peterandlinda - 2011-05-21 5:42 PM

Hi

If you can afford it, fit a SOG, then you need only clean the cassette very occasionally, and you can empty it every day as there are no chemicals needed and it doesn't weigh as much.

P&L

Cost is not the issue - it's all a matter of convenience!

Not always so easy to empty the loo daily if you are not using sites - plus being the least pleasant job on the van why would I want to empty it any more often than I have to - I only empty it when it's very close to nearly full!

Each to their own I suppose!!

Tracker - 2011-05-21 5:09 PM

Is there any feedback about damage to any of the loo seals as they are ridiculously expensive to replace - and a tad messy - which would soon negate any savings on liquids - quite apart from the 'inconvenience'?

I long ago gave up using the pink flush tank liquid because it encourages an algal growth in the water which looks unsightly as it squirts onto yer nice clean white pan!

I use Tesco own brand Bio liquid. Started to use a bio washing liquid in Germany a few years ago when we could not find any chemical fluid. Cannot see why it should damage seals Rich, where did this come from. I do give seals a squirt of seal lubricant before every trip anyway and have never replaced one.

Guest Tracker
rupert123 - 2011-05-22 11:43 AM

Cannot see why it should damage seals Rich, where did this come from. I do give seals a squirt of seal lubricant before every trip anyway and have never replaced one.

Many years ago I bought an allegedly 'green' toilet fluid which although cheaper than the Thetford chemical did make the rubber seals expand and go soft.

The result was a smelly loo for a few days and a new set of seals which was inconvenient and expensive so I have been very wary ever since.

It may well be that newer rubber seals are more resilient to different chemicals but for the sake of a few quid a year I am still a little wary.

We've been using Lidyl own brand Bio Washing liquid for over a year now & found no problems with seals. Breaks down contents in cassette & without foul chemical smell when emptying - leaves cassette clean too.

I also lubricate seals at least yearly.

Still can't get Mrs Birder to empty cassette contents yet though (?) :D :D

peterandlinda - 2011-05-21 5:42 PM

Hi

If you can afford it, fit a SOG, then you need only clean the cassette very occasionally, and you can empty it every day as there are no chemicals needed and it doesn't weigh as much.

P&L

Have to agree, another advantage is you can empty in loos where "emptying of Chemical toilets " is banned often in remote areas where septic tank is used, as you are not using any chemicals it's safe to empty.

Guest Tracker
bob b - 2011-05-22 8:12 PM

If bio washing powder/tablets attacked the loo seals, then it follows that they would also attack the door seal boot on the washing machine. I use them with no sign of damage.

Sorry Bob but that is a false and dangerous conclusion to draw because - unless you are a synthetic rubber physicist - you have no way of knowing what either seals are made of?

As an example you probably already know that petrol, for example, will attack some forms of what appears to be rubber but not others that look similar.

Personally I think anything that is safe in a washing machine, would be safe to use in your toilet cassette.When you think about it a washing machine has so many different types of plastic / rubber hoses pipes and seals, let alone all the different clothes materials going through it, don't you think.?

Brian B.

Guest Tracker

That's a good point Brian - perhaps we should try washing our clothes in Thetford Blue just to see how it affects the washing machine!

However there may be additives and chemicals in detergents which are not present in toilet liquid?

I don't know and untill I'm certain I shall play it safe and not worry about the cost of toilet chemicals - after all compared to the overall cost of running and using a van it's negligible?

Archived