Rear brake cylinder leaking

Knaus

Hi

We have a Fiat Ducato 2.3 diesel 2004 and at the MOT they found a small leak on the rear brake cylinder. Has anyone else had this and how much did they pay to get it fixed. We don't have many options here for garages that repair vans so would be interested in knowing how much it is likely to cost. They say It may only be a seal.

The cylinders for these are only about £35 and are easy to change. There may be contamination by fluid on the hand/brake shoes and these may need replacing too. After market prices for those vary from £30 to £60 for a set. It should not take more than an hour to do and any garage could do this even on the floor. You might also want to get your brake fluid changed at the same time. This is not a Fiat specific issue, the seals on rear brake cylinders don't last for ever!

Nick

Guest Tracker

It is more than likely the rubber seals on the rear brake slave cylinder are failing allowing fluid to seep out under braking pressure.

You used to be able to buy repair kits for slave cylinders but I don't know if you still can - either way it should not be too expensive to replace.

If you are lucky there is no contamination of the brake linings by the leaking fluid but if there is you will also need new brake shoes.

Brake shoes should always be replaced in 'axle' sets - ie both rear wheels - to avoid the risk of braking imbalance causing one wheel to lock.

It is not complicated and any competent garage or mechanic can do it - but they may need a dry day if your van is too high for their doorway?

If it were mine I would get it done asap and hope not to have to buy new linings!.

PS

Apologies to Nick - you posted whilst I was writing!

Knaus - 2011-05-23 10:31 AM

Hi

We have a Fiat Ducato 2.3 diesel 2004 and at the MOT they found a small leak on the rear brake cylinder. Has anyone else had this and how much did they pay to get it fixed. We don't have many options here for garages that repair vans so would be interested in knowing how much it is likely to cost. They say It may only be a seal.

Had the very same problem on my 2004, Ducato 2.3 motorhome (Rapido) last August. Thought I was covered with the mechanical warranty. To cut a long story short - went to the local garage and MOT test centre in the village to get it fixed. They said it needed a new wheel cylinder and brake shoes - and as Tracker mentioned - all 4 shoes on the same axle to be replaced. When working on the opposite hub, to fit the new brake shoes, the garage discovered that wheel cylinder was seized and also needed replacing! Bottom line, the total bill was about £250.

However, the insurance company would only cough up £85, even after extensive correspondence. The dealer we purchased the motorhome from 6 months previously made a 'goodwill payment' of £85 and I paid the balance. At least we had a completely new set of brakes on the rear of the van.

Hi

Had brake cylinder renewed, luckily there was no leakage onto the drums etc. Caught it in time. Cost £81 which was much better than we feared.

Will keep eye on other one incase it starts to leak.

Archived