Speed limits Germany

Hawcara

We are off to Germany this year, first time, so can anyone inform us of the speed limits. I have looked it up on the web, but want to be sure.

Secondly, if we were to tow a small scooter trailer or go for the easylifter type thing, what would the speed limit be then? Would it be the same as if we had a caravan on the back/

Motorhome weight is under 3500kg.

Thank you *-)

For under 3500kg, Autobahn 130km, normal roads 100km, with trailer 80km on both.

Caravans can be towed on the Autobahn at 100km providing they have a current TUV certificate, hydraulic suspension & the towing vehicle has ABS I think this only applies to caravan and not trailers.

I went as far as Leipzig last summer. Now it might just be me of course but I found I had to be wary of multiple changes to speed limits over short distances, especially in rural villages/towns but occasionally, also on the motorways.

For example, on urban bits of motorways I found that in heavy traffic or roadworks (lots of those around last summer) temporary speed limit signs were difficult to read in bright sunlight and sometimes the sight lines were poor so a very cautious approach was necessary, especially while trying to watch out for nutters braking hard and cutting in front or trying to see through lorries. Sometimes too, a very fast section of downhill motorway would have a relatively low speed limit at a bridge or tunnel and again, bright sunlight and a slanting sun could make the signs difficult to read. It was common in those situations too for a driver in front to suddenly slam on the brakes as he became aware of the new speed limit - and the inevitable speed camera linked to it.

On a number of rural roads and in towns and villages I encountered very frequent changes in speed limits over short distances which needed careful attention.

Bob

Archived