Hymer Radio Reception

Mel Lewis

Hi, I have a Hymer B584 2005. I have read various reports on bad radio reception and many people say that the aerial needs power to the amplifier.

My question is, how do I tell if my van has an aerial amplifier, is it a standard fitting on all Hymers and if so why is it not connected at the factory when the van is built?

The reception is fine when the van is parked up but u/s when driving so help with this would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mel. :'(

hi, like my citroen which is mainly mad of plastic, the reception is bad. tou will need to look at the back of the radio for the power lead for the aerial, or the base of the aerial, sometimes the power lead comes undone for some reason or was never connected as was the reason in the citroen.

michael

Thanks Michael,

I have just changed the radio for an upgrade, thinking this may help with the problem......no such luck! Whilst installing the new radio there was no sign of any extra lead that wasn't connected so I'm wondering if it has got pulled back into the loom somewhere.

Does anyone out there have a 2005 Hymer and if so does it have an amplified aerial???

Meanwhile it's back to the grovelling under the dashboard !!

Mel Lewis - 2011-05-25 10:08 AM The reception is fine when the van is parked up but u/s when driving so help with this would be much appreciated. . :'(

Why should the reception change with the velocity of the vehicle?

Although I have no answer to that, my aged Hymer came with a Bosch screen mounted aftermarket aerial, works fine but dont ask me for details because I havnt a clue!

I know it doesn't resolve your problem but it may help to know that this problem is not confined to Hymer. I have a 2010 Autotrail and my Radio has the same problem as yours. When I set off from home or static on a site my radio works perfectly, as soon as I get on the road the reception gets worse. I took it to my local dealer who told me that the Ariel was in the Wing Mirror and perhaps the wire had come adrift, checked it out and could not find anything wrong !! Problem resolved......NO ! other than I now listen to my iPod instead and rely on Sat Nav Traffic Alerts to warn of problems en route

Hi. Our 2001 Hymer 584 does have an amplified aerial . Our aerial is a short whip type fitted above the quarter light, drivers side (LHD) .If yours is in the same position, you can check it out, lower the bed,unclip the bed side curtain that side, you will see the wiring going through to the aerial . If it is amplified there will be a seperate 12volt supply wire, (ours is red) and the signal lead, (ours grey).

Brian B.

ps our reception is fine.

After dismantling the dash I found a wire that had been turned back on itself that's in the loom with the aerial, I have connected that to a switched feed from the radio and after a short run out in the van all seems well with much better reception.

Many thanks for all your suggestions, I'll keep you posted on how the radio fares on a long trip!!

Rgds Mel. ;-)

Archived