Old camper, another mechanical failure!

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Just took the camper to the chap who services it for me, as the water pump has been squealing a bit when I start it :-S ................He checked it over and agreed it was starting to show a bit of wear, normally he said he would leave it for a bit longer, but as we are of to France again soon it makes sense to change it. I thought it would have to be a refurbished replacement, but apparantly new ones are available for about 40 quid :D ..........So its booked in next week for service and mot and new pump B-)

So in 21 years thats 2 fuel/heater gauges and now the water pump *-) ....................they just dont make stuff to last nowdays :D

Guest JudgeMental
What are you going to do with your money...Get buried with it? (rapped in a pelmet obviously *-))

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2011-05-25 5:14 PM

What are you going to do with your money...Get buried with it? (rapped in a pelmet obviously *-))

Wot money 8-) .................I did my first days work today in 5 weeks 8-) .........well I say day....4 hours would be more accurate (lol)

As for buried :D ..........Its the BBQ for me.... .. maybe I'll have my ashes put into a poufe (lol)

Guest Tracker

Good for you Dave.

Part of the secret of happiness and contentment is wanting what you have not having what you think you want.

Old vans have a character and charisma sadly lacking in new vans and at least you can drill holes and alter things to make it work better for you without having to worry about affecting the value!

Long may the old girl serve you well - and the van!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2011-05-25 7:24pm

Long may the old girl serve you well - and the van!

Yeah the vans not in bad knick for its age :D ...............Unfortunately the old girl has had a few issue's of late :D ........but I will keep her going as I hope her pension will kick in soon.......... to keep me in the style I wish to be accustomed :D ...................Thats the thing about being a toyboy ;-) .........Patience (lol) (lol)

We find the modern vans are cluttered up with fancy furniture allowing far less room. We recently were at an event where I looked at a very old van, it had much more room due to minimum decorative furniture.

In fact we dislike the new M/H's entirely for that very reason.

art

Guest peter
Me too, that's why I've changed it for a LeVoyager and the fact it's based on the mercedes, rather than the Fiat.

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2011-05-25 9:23 PM

Me too, that's why I've changed it for a LeVoyager and the fact it's based on the mercedes, rather than the Fiat.

Where's your avatar gone Peter (?) ......or did you have to trade that in aswell :D

Guest peter
I've got to buy a new shirt to go with the upmarket van. I was considering one of those cocktail shirts with the frilly bits or pleats all down the front, like james bond. :D

Guest pelmetman
I've got an old string vest I can let you have, then you can mix with the posh people down your way :D ......................such as Rab C Nesbit!.................. I heard he lives in Spalding :D

Good man Dave.

Ours is a venerable 1992 vintage.

No electronics. No canbus. No ECU. No EGR valves. No EFI systems.

Just an old chugging 2.5 diesel engine with a turbo unit bolted on.

Engine has only done about 70,000 miles, so is good for another 200,000 or so.

Though there are mechanical issues with it now and then, by and large I can fix them myself, without the aid of a plug-in super-computer and 140 different diagnostic tools.

And the cost of spares/replacement/service items is very bearable.

I recently replaced both rear brake slave cylinders after one "popped" its seals; also fitted new brake shoes to both rear wheels, and put in new brake fluid throughout....for a tad over 70 euros (about 60 squids).

Old chuggers never die. They just travel somewhat more sedately............and cheaply.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes you can't beat the old un's, why aren't we all still riding round in our old Morris Minors, shouting at each other above the din, breathing in crankcase fumes, and spending most weekends adjusting the tappets, points, plug gap, or covered in brake fluid from re-rubbering yet another leaking wheel cyclinder. Sounds like rose tinted spectacles syndrome to me.

I started out with a Commer pop top camper in the early 70's, my now (for me up to date) vehicle is a 2003 2.8 Jtd which is light years better than anything that preceded it that I have owned, and the dog of a 1.9 Ducato I used to own that would faint at the sight of a hill. Yes modern vehicles have their faults, but I don't kid myself for a minute that I could go back. Sadly funds won't allow a trade up to a Carthago or similar, but if only..............

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-05-26 7:21 PM

Sounds like rose tinted spectacles syndrome to me.

Not quite........ my works transit which I bought new in 99 had by the time it had clocked 40k needed.... new clutch, new prop shaft, the semi automatic box stripped out and reverted to manual, along with numerous other problems one of which was down right dangerous *-)

So has the motor industry progressed in 21 years (?) ..............judging by the posts on here.......not very far :D

1footinthegrave - 2011-05-26 8:21 PM Yes you can't beat the old un's, why aren't we all still riding round in our old Morris Minors, shouting at each other above the din, breathing in crankcase fumes, and spending most weekends adjusting the tappets, points, plug gap, or covered in brake fluid from re-rubbering yet another leaking wheel cyclinder. Sounds like rose tinted spectacles syndrome to me. ...........

The old Austin/BMC 'A' series motor was pretty near idiot proof, But not completely so :D

Guest Tracker
peter - 2011-05-25 9:23 PM

I don't intend trawling back through old postings as that is not my style - but?

Didn't you used to have a previous model Sevel based van Peter - which I seem to recall you telling us you were changing for an X250 based van only a year or two ago?

I seem to recall you telling us all how good it was and that it didn't judder - or have I got all confused - again??

Guest peter

Tracker got his knickers in a twist, as usual and spluttered.

Quote: "I don't intend trawling back through old postings as that is not my style - but?

Didn't you used to have a previous model Sevel based van Peter - which I seem to recall you telling us you were changing for an X250 based van only a year or two ago?

I seem to recall you telling us all how good it was and that it didn't judder - or have I got all confused - again??" Unquote

Richard, please tell me when I've ever said that my X250 had the judder problem.

I did have a Rapido 710f on the 1999 2.8 Fiat which was good.

I changed this for a Burstner Marano on the Fiat X250 2.3 which was a lot more refined than the previous one. After having it 2 yrs found it a bit cramped if away for an extended period, so we had a look round for something that gave us more room inside to walk around. I was looking for a van without the fixed bed of the Marano which took up too much room. So the only layout that would suit would have to have a drop down bed only, leaving all the room for us during the day. I had a look all round Peterborough show and saw nothing, until I went into a LeVoyageur and there it was, just what I wanted.

The fact it was on a Mercedesis purely coincidental, as I would also have bought it if it was on a Fiat and saved a wad of cash. I'm glad it is though as it's a geat vehicle to drive, so worth the extra.

So, to enlighten you, I HAVE NEVER SAID MY FIAT X250 JUDDERED IN REVERSE.

The change of vans is the usual one of eventually finding the layout that suits you.

On reflection I don't know why I've bothered to explain my actions to you, but it's done now.

As a footnote, if you observe the post I was replying to you will see that it was refering to layout and space, so please get your facts right before you go quoting and misrepresenting what people have written . :->

Guest Tracker

There you go again Peter getting all unpleasant over nothing at all. Its a shame that you choose to misinterpret what I said but you do seem to have this rather unpleasant side to your nature at times.

However, reading my posting again, I grant you that I could have worded it better for which I apologise if it caused you offence.

Tell me where I said that your van juddered? All I did was ask why the new van that was so ideal for you two years ago was no longer ideal? Assuming that it didn't judder - there must have been other factors, and that appears to have been the space/layout configuration.

We too looked at Burstner Maranos and whilst they did seem to be better built than many the layouts just would not have worked for us so I can see why you changed.

So can we stop the antagonism now please?

1footinthegrave - 2011-05-26 7:21 PM

Yes you can't beat the old un's, why aren't we all still riding round in our old Morris Minors, shouting at each other above the din, breathing in crankcase fumes, and spending most weekends adjusting the tappets, points, plug gap, or covered in brake fluid from re-rubbering yet another leaking wheel cyclinder. Sounds like rose tinted spectacles syndrome to me.

I started out with a Commer pop top camper in the early 70's, my now (for me up to date) vehicle is a 2003 2.8 Jtd which is light years better than anything that preceded it that I have owned, and the dog of a 1.9 Ducato I used to own that would faint at the sight of a hill. Yes modern vehicles have their faults, but I don't kid myself for a minute that I could go back. Sadly funds won't allow a trade up to a Carthago or similar, but if only..............

Yes but some of us like to keep the "older" models, and put up with their quirky behavior.......................

A bit like keeping old f4rts like you on the forum. :D

Archived