Status 530 Directional TV Aerial

eddieandsue

Hi

We have the above Aerial on our 2006 Autocruise Starburst and have just purchased an Avtex W164DR Television. I can get a grainy signal on Analogue but no reception on Digital and this is on the Driveway at home!!

Does this mean the Aerial is not Digital, sorry to be vague but not good on these matters, any help appreciated. :$ :$

Wheather there is such a thing as a 'digital' aerial is debatable .

Your grainy picture on analogue would point to there being not enough signal strenght for the aerial.

p.s. you are comparing this with your house aerial presumably? but is that a decent size mounted up high? if so the one on your van will struggle to match the performance.

Hi Eddie and Sue,

Maybe a daft question but have you turned on the Status 'power pack' that feeds power to the amplifier in the aerial. There should be a red (?) light on the power pack to show it is on.

If not then another failing is that a strand of the braid can short in the plugs, You'll have to carefully unscrew the plugs to check.

Keith.

The Status 530 isn't bad at receiving signals; not quite as good as a well positioned domestic aerial, but should still get a signal in a good reception area. Digital is essentially no more of a challenge for an aerial than analogue, since it uses exactly the same wavelengths, but direction is a little more critical for the digital signal.

Apologied if the following is teaching my grandmother....... (so to speak)

First, a few questions:

1. Have you used it before successfully with another TV, or is this your first use?

2. Is the TV reception where you are (home?) normally good?

In order to use the aerial properly you should take the following steps:

1. Extend the aerial upwards to the extent the pole will allow it. (collar (and clamp if it is the longer version) to loosen)

2. Rotate the pole until the pointy end of the aerial faces the transmitter - i.e. same direction as local aeriels are pointing, and then tighten the clamp(s).

3. If local aerials are vertically polarised, use the lever at the bottom of the pole to turn the status to vertical polarisation.

4. Ensure the input from the aerial (which emerges from the pole) is plugged into the input socket on the booster.

5. Ensure the output from the booster (to which the TV is ultimately connected - probably by a further socket) is plugged inot the output socket of the booster.

6. Ensure the TV is connected to this output (again, probably by a mounted socket) via a fly lead.

7. Turn the booster on with the switch underneath and check for the red light.

8. Ensure the boost level is set at "Normal" rather than "Low" (The other switch under the booster).

9. Tune the TV on both Analogue and Digital (should be an Auto-tune button on an Avtex) - remember you are likely to have to re-tune every time you change location, even for digital.

10. Check for signal.

If it then doesn't work, I would:

1. connect the TV via the fly-lead directly to the booster (bypass any socket) and try again

2. connect the TV to your house aerial and tune it, then try again in the van

Beyond this, you are probably looking at a fault - a short between the braid and core at one of the plugs is not uncommon (as has already been mentioned).

We had a similar problem, when our Avtex was new could only get a poor digital signal in the Van.

Took the TV into the house and set it up on the house ariel. Then took TV back into the Van & have not had any problem since.

I put it down (rightly or wrongly) to the TV needing best possible signal in first set-up mode.

Should add that we had the TV on mains supply for the first set-up, but that should not make any difference unless your leisure battery is low.

colin - 2011-05-25 6:11 PM

Your grainy picture on analogue would point to there being not enough signal strenght for the aerial.

p.s. you are comparing this with your house aerial presumably? but is that a decent size mounted up high? if so the one on your van will struggle to match the performance.

My brother has his own satellite & aerial business and assures me, that there is no such thing as a digital aerial.

Pete

My brother has his own satellite & aerial business and assures me, that there is no such thing as a digital aerial.

Pete

Pete

breakaleg - 2011-05-26 2:10 PM

Pete

Yes and no, there is no such thing as a digital aerial BUT you may have to buy a new aerial to get digital.

At home we are an example, we had an old aerial which dated back to when they where 'banded', when switching to digital back in 2000 I had to replace this with a wideband aerial to get the frequencies used by digital from our local transmitter. This should not be the case with any aerial designed for camping as they would have needed to be wideband to work around the country.

Archived