Gel Coat Damage

Wilson

Gel Coat Damage  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a very small surface scratch and a small fine crack to the Gel Coat of my Motorhome. I think it may have been hit by a firework!! Does anyone know the best way to repair it or should it be left well alone? If a repair is possible with what and where it can be bought? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's vital that you do repair it, otherwise moisture will get into the GRP beneath the gel and do it no end of harm. Until you're ready to repair it, a quick way to avoid water ingress is to use sticky plastic tape such as insulating tape. The easy way to repair small areas is to use Plastic Padding Gel Coat Repair Kit, available from any good chandlers - you don't have to go to the coast as there may well be a canal or river one near you. After repair, sand level with 600 grade wet&dry and finish with 1200 grade wet&dry, pouring water on the area you are sanding all the time to avoid any heat build up from the sanding. If it's an area that is visible, then finish with hard wax polish.

Hi Mel and Richard. Many thanks for your advice. Cannot purchase the Plastic Padding Gel Coat Repair Kit from any local chandlers or shops so have placed an order over the web. Next need the time to do the repair so as soon as it stops raining I will be out side, subject to my health. Just been told I need some chemo but this will not stop me doing the job or going away in my Motorhome if I can help it!!!. Regards Wilson

Archived