Lightweight parasol base

dutchwoman

We have limited storage space in our Elddiss and plan to take a garden parasol for some shade on our long trip to France in a couple of weeks. Can anyone recommend a small base we can take with us? I have tried logging in to Miraclebase website, but cannot get in touch with the company.

many thanks

Hi Alice,

Instead of using a large and heavy base why not use a spike something like this one from Argos?

If you drilled 2 holes through the top and then only drive it 3/4 of it's depth into the ground you would be able to put a bar through to pull it back out.

Worth trying?

Keith.

Minstrel - 2011-05-28 6:38 PM

An alternative would be a screw in soil spike from Coopers of stortford, also £14.99

Nearly right Minstrel, just a 1 different in the price :D

The Argos spike is only £4.99.

dutchwoman - 2011-05-28 4:51 PM We have limited storage space in our Elddiss and plan to take a garden parasol for some shade on our long trip to France in a couple of weeks.

This summer you will need a market traders parasol if the weather keeps up, 28deg Today........................Again B-)

Many thanks everyone for your great ideas. We really do have limited storage in the van once I have packed everything we could possibly need!!! As well as leave enough space to bring back lots of lovely wine.

I think the screw in spike looks our best option.

Thanks again

..or (..as you're talking of being on grass)just fix it in a similar way as they erect fibreglass flag poles...smack in a 2-3ft length of 1/2" steel bar and just slip the parasol stem over the top(...the stem'll probably have a "plastic point" which would need to be removed first though)..

You may need to have some form of tether though..in case the wind just lifts it off...

• 4 weeks later...
donna miller - 2011-06-28 3:19 PM Use your spare wheel if you have one. make a sleeve out of a block of wood to fit the centre of your wheel and the parasol pole. Some men just look for the hardest solutions to the simplest problem. *-) :D

And I suppose Wonder woman will be scrabbling under the van up to her eyes in ........to get to the spare wheel?

Retread24800 - 2011-06-28 3:37 PM
donna miller - 2011-06-28 3:19 PM Use your spare wheel if you have one. make a sleeve out of a block of wood to fit the centre of your wheel and the parasol pole. Some men just look for the hardest solutions to the simplest problem. *-) :D

And I suppose Wonder woman will be scrabbling under the van up to her eyes in ........to get to the spare wheel?

And when she scrambles back out again she is too 'tyred' to put the parasol up :D

Not sure where you would get them from these days, perhaps camping shop like 'Go Outdoors' but sometime ago we had one, a metal spike with pointy end to hammer into grass or gravel, it had a bracket on the stem in which you placed the parasol post and then a screw which you tightened to keep it in place.

Solwaybuggier - 2011-06-28 9:02 PM We use a screw-in ground anchor - I got it from a kiting website, link is here: http://www.pozitube.com/poleanchors/ . (Although it's an old link, not sure if it still applies.) Great on grass. less so on soft/sandy ground, or on hard surfaces.

or try Lakeland at£1.99 tho if its  a thin one you will need a spacer.

Archived