Extra Charge for a Tow Car ?

BarnacleBob

On a very recent trip around the North of England and Scotland with our Aygo in tow on an A frame, we booked into a MMM Premier Park, Lomon Woods Holiday Park, on the edge of Loch Lomond at Balloch, Dunbartonshire.

I was surprised to find that this site makes a charge of £2.00 per night for a towcar . When I queried this charge on the basis that we took up no more space than an average car and caravan, I was told that the charge was " becuase it was an extra motor vehicle". This still did not make sense to me, however I paid up because I knew finding another site with vacancies would be difficult. Anyway it was not the £2.00 so much as the principle of this extra charge that I found very odd. Needless to say I was not particularly impressed with this MMM Premier Park.

I have never been asked to pay extra to take my towcar on to a site before or since, so I wondered if this is a common occurance with Motorhomes towing cars?

Bob

Hi All,

We tow a car with an A frame and this is the first time I have ever heard of charges being made for the tow car.

This charge does not make sense when compared to, as others have said, a caravan and car.

If we are asked to pay at a site I think I'll say that the car is pushing the motorhome! (lol)

Perhaps the site in question did not like motorhomes (?)

Could not agree more, seems totally daft, must admit I avoid those sites, recently looked at small pub sites that had this as an extra, might have a reasonable site fee to start but when you add all the extras, might as well stay at a big commercial site and get all the other extras that they provide.

:-(

The practise of charging for extras is growing all over the UK & mainland Europe. Awnings & even windout awnings, more than two adults, children over certain ages (if they are still school age what's the difference) are classed as extras, if you want hook up then fair enough if it's not inclusive of the pitch fee but those sites are getting rarer unless it's the CC.

Surely if you pay for a pitch, and providing you don't take anymore room up than the pitch, then why the extras? The is what you are paying for. If you take a car but can't leave it on the pitch area because of lack of space there is normally parking provided, if so then I would be inclined to agree with a charge being made.

But what will they be asking for next as an extra? Satellite dishes maybe...!!!! Bicycle's possibly, Hook up cable (doubt it but some may have the cheek to try)

Dave

BarnacleBob - 2011-05-29 6:27 PM

I was surprised to find that this site makes a charge of £2.00 per night for a towcar . When I queried this charge on the basis that we took up no more space than an average car and caravan, I was told that the charge was " becuase it was an extra motor vehicle". This still did not make sense to me, however I paid up because I knew finding another site with vacancies would be difficult. Anyway it was not the £2.00 so much as the principle of this extra charge that I found very odd. Needless to say I was not particularly impressed with this MMM Premier Park.

I have never been asked to pay extra to take my towcar on to a site before or since, so I wondered if this is a common occurance with Motorhomes towing cars?

Bob

Bob, I cannot see why an earth you are quibbling about £2.00, in the overall picture of things as Brian once said they are in business to make money, after all it’s your choice to tow a car. Leave the car at home and walk a bit more.

The simple answer to your questions is ,as the old saying goes, " My house, my rules ".

With all due respect to everyone who has posted on this subject, it doesn't matter what you think the rules should be, or what you say they should be, the long and short of it is that the site owners are there to make money, and will do so in whatever way they can, as would you if it were your business.

Is it fair that you pay the same price for your motorhome to occupy the same size pitch as a car and caravan, and then have to pay an extra £2 for your towed car, maybe yes, maybe no. But you have a choice as to whether or not you use that site, therefore If you roll over and pay the extra, then in all reality, you have no right to come on here and complain about the charge, as you have the power to decide whether to pay it or not.

I have been present when people turn up with a tow car and argue black and blue about paying £2 to park the towcar, then going out and spending £40-50 in a clubhouse on bingo, drinks, ciggarettes etc.

If you are members of the various clubs, then lobby them, however if you take the stance that "they never listen" and never make that complaint, then they never will, will they.

Archived