Birmingham - Road works/congestion??

sshortcircuit

Travelling to Dover, starting on Wednesday from bonny Scotland and do not intend to use the toll road around Birmingham. Trying to work my options out as to wither to stop prior to, or travel through and stop soon after. Last year road works were not to bad as with traffic.

Most grateful if any locals able to give idea of times to avoid

A lot will depend on what time of day you intend to be travelling round the Brum triangle. A couple of weeks ago we went out on Thursday to the Newbury show travelling M54, M6, M42, M40, A34. We left Telford at 07.00 and hit J10A M6 about 25mins later. The congestion around Brum delayed us by about 40 mins against our original ETA.

Hit it earlier in the morning or later in the day and (barring muppets running into each other and causing huge snarl ups) you should experience shorter delays if any.

D.

M25 from the M1 down to the Dartford crossing is bloody horrendous At the moment it is due to road works most of the time. I went M6-M5-M40-M25 (West & Southern side not recommended at peak time)-M20. About 25 mile longer + 1 more gallon but got to Dover as planned. There are road works on the M1 from just south of the Newport Pagnell service station down to Hoddlesden as well with a 50mph speed limit.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2011-05-30 8:31 PM

M25 from the M1 down to the Dartford crossing is bloody horrendous At the moment it is due to road works most of the time. I went M6-M5-M40-M25 (West & Southern side not recommended at peak time)-M20. About 25 mile longer + 1 more gallon but got to Dover as planned. There are road works on the M1 from just south of the Newport Pagnell service station down to Hoddlesden as well with a 50mph speed limit.

Dave

Thanks for that info. I think I went that route last year as we stopped at Abingdon at a CCC holiday site before another CCC holiday site at Folkstone and then Dover

Hi

looking out of window at M6 just north of Birmingham at the moment. We have no serious problems in the area at the moment but the stretch between J12 and J5 of the M6 is always slow moving, particularly at rush hours. When we went to Dover in January we went M6, M42 , M40 & M25 south of London ( via Gatwick), according to sat nav it is a mile shorter than Dartford crossing and you dont have to pay a toll. From Fife is it not easier to come A1 / M1 to Dover and miss the delights of our city altogether?

Have a good trip whichever route you choose.

Bob

Thanks Bob. In view of the comments we are now considering coming down the east coast but have as yet to work out a route and one stop which at a guess would be near York or further south. Not sure which route it would be but possibly A1 heading for Cambridge and I would still come into the M25 and the Dartford crossing. Previously crossed over the bridge and got for free as the Yobs had set fire to a substation.

If you choose to come down the A1 and stop around York area you could do worse than visit Pickering as the antiques shop in town has a large car park to the rear and makes a small charge for overnighting there. They also have fresh water and chemical toilet disposal point. We stopped there for one night last year, its not a campsite but is in the middle of town and we felt safe there.

D.

Archived