Microwave Oven - Any suggestions?

david lloyd

Hello everyone We hope to be taking delivery of our new motorhome soon - a Knaus Sun Ti 650MF - and can't wait!! Has anyone fitted a microwave into one of these - if so what make/model/power/size was it and was it 12v or 240v please? Just in case no one has is there anyone else who has fitted a microwave and has any suggestions as above including suppliers etc? Many thanks, david

David Do a search of the forum for microwave ovens, you'll find quite a few bits and pieces, basically, I would forget about a 12v version as it's likely to be very slow and very battery power hungry, also don't forget when choosing a microwave to check the power required to work it, not just the output which is quite a bit lower. Have fun with your new beastie!

Hi, I agree with all of the other comments, I would also add if you intend to fit it in a cupboard then take care with the ventilation around the thing ? also if you do try one of the combi types eg. with a fan oven and grill they may not be suitable for fitting in a cupboard at all ??

David

It will also cost you a perfectly good cupboard!  To add to Clives point, if you intend using it abroad, do remember that some site hook ups are as low as 3 amps.  You do need to keep the power low!

Have you considered a Remoska instead?  Not so quick, but a surprisingly versatile cooker that will perform quite well as an oven and a slow cooker.  Browns as it cooks if you cook the food unwrapped, doesn't brown the food if you wrap it.  Will do veg and meat.  Makes stews etc.  Good for baked spuds.  We even managed a quite good Spanish omlette. 

500W element (I think - ours is in the 'van and its raining!), so only just over 2A.  Oh, and you can take it outside so, if you're cooking fish it gets the local cats excited but the 'van doesn't pong for hours afterwards.

Available from Lakeland, cheaper than the microwave, and you keep most of that cupboard!

I suppose I'd better add that I have no connections with Lakeland or Remoska after that lot!

Hope this helps.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Beware of the microwave. Someone in our group has had three fitted in 14 months. If you must go down this road ensure that it is well secured. A flying microwave will do considerable damage to you and your vehicle. I prefer a barbecue, it sits better with a glass of wine or whatever when alfresco. Avoid 12 volt versions as Mel said. They draw to much power for the battery capacity most of us have onboard. Enjoy the new motorhome!

We have used microwaves in rented vans in usa & canada no problems at all, unfortunatly can't remember what makes they where. I think i read in MMM last year that microwaves for motorhomes are more robust than standard to withstand constaint moving, but they seem to survive the shipping to uk with no problems. The only reason i won't be having one in new van is i don't stop at sites with mains very often, Baked potatoes in 20mins with a dual grill nuke, thats what i like.

Archived