Experience of Inflatable Canoes?

Cattwg

I am considering buying an inflatable canoe – a rigid won’t fit in our Adria Twin! Specifically I am thinking of the Sevylor Colorado inflatable canoe. Does anyone have first hand experience of this particular boat? Easy to inflate? Paddles well? Easy to deflate? Takes knocks OK? etc.

If not the Colorado then any first hand experience of a similarly priced inflatable canoe?

Thanks. Cattwg :-D

I'm interested too.

I'm often sorely tempted by the Ratty-like appeal of messing about in boats but....is the marketing blurb just pumped-up hype, are they just inflating the appeal? Crucially, if between a rock and a hard place, would it be a let-down, would one end up feeling deflated, gasping for air, or would a raft of other puns and cliche's apply? Basically, are they really any good?

Bob :-D

Funny that, we were considering one as well since recieving the latest mail out from Go Outdoors as they are offering some good deals in particular the Sevylor Riviera two person for a special web deal of £74.99 untill 12 June see

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/river-boat-p175329?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Watersports%20(ASN10)&utm_content=

Seems easy to transport etc.

Would be interested in comments as to worth!

Bas

Inflatable canoes and kayaks have really improved in quality, durability and design over the last few years. In our experience the 'boat in a bag' concept is perfect for those looking to add a relatively low cost canoeing & kayaking option to other outdoor interests, such as caravan touring, motor-homing, walking, bird watching etc.

We are in the process of conducting a large group test on inflatable canoes and kayaks and that will be appearing in Canoe & Kayak UK Magazine in the near future and video reviews will also appear on the www.canoekayak.co.uk website in due course.

Happy paddling Folks.

The CKUK Editorial Team

www.canoekayak.co.uk

Find us on Facebook

Canoe&Kayak UK - 2011-06-01 3:30 PM

Inflatable canoes and kayaks have really improved in quality, durability and design over the last few years. In our experience the 'boat in a bag' concept is perfect for those looking to add a relatively low cost canoeing & kayaking option to other outdoor interests, such as caravan touring, motor-homing, walking, bird watching etc.

We are in the process of conducting a large group test on inflatable canoes and kayaks and that will be appearing in Canoe & Kayak UK Magazine in the near future and video reviews will also appear on the www.canoekayak.co.uk website in due course.

Happy paddling Folks.

The CKUK Editorial Team

www.canoekayak.co.uk

Find us on Facebook

Thanks for that will await with interest. Stating the obvious but how about offering an article, or at least a synopsis of your findings, to MMM for the magazine?

Bob

Guest pelmetman
Usinmyknaus - 2011-06-01 9:27 AM

I'm interested too.

I'm often sorely tempted by the Ratty-like appeal of messing about in boats but....is the marketing blurb just pumped-up hype, are they just inflating the appeal? Crucially, if between a rock and a hard place, would it be a let-down, would one end up feeling deflated, gasping for air, or would a raft of other puns and cliche's apply? Basically, are they really any good?

Bob :-D

Judging by your stock of puns :D ................You'll probably need a punt to fit them all in(lol)

You should pick the right inflatable kayak for the water that you intend to use it on. Different designs are suitable for sea, river, lakes. If you have a google it'll give you an idea of whats best for you.

hi John

I have just gone and done it.

I have wanted to have a kayak since my school days. The Co-pilot thinks that I am too old, but hey-ho the man in the shop said you are never to old.

I got a Sevylor K1 .

I have only tried blowing it up in the front room so far, but it went up very quickly with a double action hand pump that the dealer supplied as part of the deal.

Fairly easy to deflate and get it back in the bag.

We are packing at the mom for next Sunday, and of to Lake District,5 days at Park Coppice and 5 days at Keswick both on the side of the lakes.

If I surviive I will let you know how we got on

Allthe best

Howard

Hi Cattwg,

We've had a Colorado for about 5 years now and love it.

It is easy to transport in its own bag and takes 10 to 15 mins to fully inflate and assemble. It is very stable and safe on the water, as well as being comfortable and easy to paddle. It is a bit prone in stronger winds and tends to get blown off course more than a traditional canoe would, but just requires a bit of extra work with the arms.

The exterior is robust and has survived the kids running it into rocks and aground on stony beaches.

The only down side is the difficulty in drying the inside before storing, as even deflated the shape and size makes it difficult to air the interior fully.

We just back yesterday, from a week at Keswick (C&CC) and have experienced our first problem, in that a seam on one of the main bladders has developed a leak since Easter and we were unable to use the kayak this time around.

There is a Sevylor stockist in Keswick, however they would not provide us with a purchased replacement bladder from a new kayak, stating that we would have to contact Sevylor direct. A bit disappointing considering the amount of cash we have spent in their shop over the years. They could have easily ordered a spare bladder to replace ours, but they were not interested in the fact that our kayaking holiday was down the swanny...... One easy way to lose long standing customers !

Ken.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my query regarding inflatable canoes. Many years ago, when tent camping we towed a Microplus cabin cruiser and the urge to get back onto the water has been nagging for a long time now. Within the restrictions of our Adria Twin an inflatable canoe looks like being the answer – size doesn’t matter!? – it’s messing about in boats that is important.

The Colorado seems to have a good reputation, it also has the advantage of being able to accept a (small) outboard motor. So I may well take the plunge! if I can get a good deal somewhere.

I would still value first hand advice about inflatable canoes.

Cattwg :-D

We bought a Sevylor Colorado last year, it's great fun, but that's what we got it for.  Our children and grandchildren enjoy it too.

Unfortunately I have a50/50 chance of falling in the water getting in or out of the canoe, but I'm not afraid to laugh at myself, everyone else does.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends what you want to do with it, how much time you are prepared to give to setting-up and packing away, how much you are prepared to pay, and how long you want it to last!

We have had several Gumotex inflatable canoes - a Palava - 2 person large one which we used for us and our 3 dogs, two Gumotex Junior single canoes (meant for kids really) to see how we got on with separate canoes - they were great but a bit 'tight'. :$ Gumotex canoes are very robust and the material is very tough being a rubberised layered product.

We then got a couple of the 'bladder in a cover' type like the Colorado, except ours were Air Head ones, a bit cheaper and better made we thought (not paying for the name). Whilst they were very good canoes unfortunately we found it too much hassle after use due to having to drain the water from the inside of the covers and try to dry them which took an age, not ideal for a motorhome as you can't simply hang them up in your garage when you get home.

We therefore went back to Gumotex and got a couple of their Solars - a Solar 300 (full Nitrilon version) and a Solar 1 (Lite-pack version which is part Nitrilon, part material similar to the Colorado), which are the open type of canoe. Shortly after the opportunity arose for us to get the ones that we had really wanted - Gumotex Helios 1. These have a covered bow and stern (more like a kayak) and we got them at a good price.

Having done a lot of checking of the various types/makes of inflatables before we bought ours I can confirm that the Gumotex ones handle much better than the others, both from our experience and from reviews carried out by others. We had our bobbing about in the sea, over waves a couple of weeks ago and it was great fun - with the Helios ones having covered bow and stern it is still great to take them out even when the weather's not very warm as you don't get really wet and cold. We've got a couple of good windproof jackets which we pop on and can stay out on the water for ages.

We have a couple more new and boxed Gumotex Helios 1 canoes (don't ask), we also have one of the Solars too which is surplus to requirements now (used once) - so if anyone is interested let me know by PM.

• 1 month later...

I had a great time with the Helios Mel. Shot a few rapids on the river Barle in Exmoor to boot ! As the river level was quite low in places I had to 'spring' from the craft and walk it through. I was quite keen to put it in the sea, but couldn't find a convenient launch site until it was time to return home. Watermouth harbour (near Coombe martin) is the best place to launch from. Being a harbour, the waters calm and parking is readily available next to the waters edge. I'll cast off forrard & aft from there next time I visit.

1269670075_RiverBarle.jpg.d394deb99a43d282fc2cdec8ee0dd04c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had the colorado and inflated it twice -once in the lounge which the grandchildren loved playing in, and then outside for the pics to sell it on ebay. Fortunately got back what I paid.

The Colorado is a great item, but both times we carted it around France there had been so much rain that the local rivers were very swollen and even the canoe hire companies were taking a break. We were originally inspired to buy due to an article in MMM about 3 / 4 years ago. Same goes for the scooter that we bought to hang off the back on an easy lifter, but that at least has been used to good effect.

If you have any thoughts of using one here ie on canals / reservoirs just watch out for all the regs which insist on registration and suitable third party insurance. Rivers are also a bit of a no go area also unless you belong to a club.

Regards, Stewart

• 2 weeks later...
I bought one from Lidls for around £30. Inflates well but not too impressed with the handling on water - maybe it was the weight distribution but it struggled in a gentle wind on a flat river. The paddle shaft is rather short as well. I will have another go before consigning it to a "waste or time" category which is a shame as I was looking forward to using it and taking on trips.

Hi MattR

You really DO get what you pay for, unfortunately you've bought a 'toy' and you'll struggle to do anything but play in it, they simply are not meant to do anything like proper canoeing as you've found out - just use it for what it is meant for - a bit of messing about - and you'll still have fun.

The Gumotex canoes are very rugged and made to be used and hopefully not too abused ... but they'll take it! We've had different makes of inflatable and have compared a lot too, but nothing beats the Gumotex hence why we went back to them.

As for the 'rules and reg' for using British waterways - if you go to out of the way places and act as if you know what you're doing (with the proper kit of buoyancy aid etc), you'll find you don't actually get bothered much, if at all. If you can get out on to the sea it's brilliant fun just make sure you rinse the canoes down well afterwards to get all the nasty salt off.

Hi Mel B,

thanks for the info. I am slightly miffed with it - it does appear to be a toy but with such lack of control and difficulty to manoeuvre in even a gentle breeze, it appears to be a liability with potentially serious consequences. My son and I were wearing life jackets and kitted out correctly - just hampered by the canoe. I am tempted to try and return it as not being fit for purpose.

Cheers

Archived