Disaster - brake failure

Donard

The unexpected does happen. Fortunately it happened in the MOT centre; it really could have been fatal the next day. In the Hymer B class (circa 2002 and later) the brake plumbing on the bulkhead has a down pipe which is not easily seen that came in contact with a heating pipe running right to left across the top of the engine. The rocking engine had worn the brake pipe through allowing fluid during braking to be forced out through the pin hole made in the pipe. I have pictures. I would seriously advise owners to get their hand mirrors out and have a peep. This could be a generic defect, not seen during annual professional servicing. Please please check!

Yup, Fiat based, 60k+ and no bother. Repainted front as gloss went and bugs became stuck fast. Pathetic brittle plastic inside of front and rear doors a design fault, velcro now ripping holes under cushions only complaints. Re-upholstery job on list but after this years Euro trip!

starvin marvin - 2011-06-04 2:28 PM

Dave Newell - 2011-06-03 4:55 PM

Cheers Donard, useful info, I'll look out for it when servicing B class Hymers (presumably Fiat based?)

D.

Now why would you assume that, I wonder?

Its pretty simple Marvin, there are far more B class Hymers on Fiat bases than Merc :-D .

D.

Retread24800 - 2011-06-04 5:49 PM
Dave Newell - 2011-06-03 5:55 PM Cheers Donard, useful info, I'll look out for it when servicing B class Hymers (presumably Fiat based?) D.

Maybe a good idea to check ALL Fiat based vehicles of this age, the pipe runs are likely to be common to all.

Fair point and duly noted :-D .D.

Fiat ran a recall on some models 2003 relating to front flexible pipes rubbing on chasis and wearing the pipe through. could be related to your problem

I had two letters. one recorded asking me to go to Fiat dealer for free check.

If you ring fiat with your vin number they should be able to tell if your vehicle is one of the bad batch.and requires inspection

spartan3956 - 2011-06-04 10:23 PM Fiat ran a recall on some models 2003 relating to front flexible pipes rubbing on chasis and wearing the pipe through. could be related to your problem I had two letters. one recorded asking me to go to Fiat dealer for free check. If you ring fiat with your vin number they should be able to tell if your vehicle is one of the bad batch.and requires inspection

Or log onto Fiat Ducato Camping cars and go to Chassis check. You will need to register to reach the premium area.

Archived