i don't believe it

mrs p hancox

hi, ordered a new motorhome from Barrons, on 1st day at Nec with promise of 3 weeks delivery "we have one in stock" after week and half no phone call etc so we phoned sorry all staff away on 2 days hol so 2 weeks after show we called no motorhome in stock delivery iminent, we wanted extras so gave manager a list no prob, 3 days passed no date given phoned up sorry due to delay 21.3.06 ok say we what wbout extras oh no prob, will contact you when van in (getting my drift) couple days later we phone hurrah van in. Extras we ask (exterior 12v/240volt sockets gas barbie point back driver side (so not by awning) back box no bike rails. solar panel and which drive away awning) List had been emailed very early into contract. service dept will get in touch we are told, They did . Sorry mate can't do extras, we don't do extras here!! Stunned silence! Onto sales man back and forthhe went their brochure states they do extras, well yes but only at certain branches!! Barrons decided to transfer van to another branch but delivery will now be 31.3.06 ok so long as they fit extras we say due to 5 year water ingress etc Hubby does not want strangers climbing over van putting holes in it so they can say sorry you broke warenty. Guess what............................. Just had a phone call to say sorry they can't do those extras now til 14.4.06 ironically when we had booked a week down at other end of country!! Choice is now take van as it is Which we could have done a week ago and get it done else where or wait. what are your views and experiances sorry to blow but bit mad

Hi, Before you go any further, I know its easy to say ? But please don't let it spoil your enjoyment ?? you have worked hard and deserve to enjoy your new motorhome, so no matter what happens don't let it spoil that ?? everyone makes mistakes and some are really questionable i often wonder if its supidity or just bloody mindedness but what ever it is ?? don't let it spoil all you have worked for, I would take it and go on holiday ? you may find you don't need all of the equipment you ordered ?? so they will lose ??

Hi Guys Take the van, use it and enjoy, then get yourself booked into the Peterborough camper show in April, you'll find many accessories are available there and, even if they can't fit them there and then, you'll be able to arrange for them to be fitted at a later date. The chances are that you'll also save yourself quite a bit of money especially since you'ls more than likely find that you don't actually want some of the extra bits and pieces you've ordered. You can easily use a trailing 4 gang socket for extra power points, they cost less than £5.00, much less that actually installing extra sockets. Do you really need a back box? See how you get on first as they do give you extra length that could cause problems parking. BBQ point - how often do you intend to use it? They usually cost a packet to put in. Solar panel - why? Are you really going to be leaving your 'van static for long periods of time that would warrant the cost of one of these along with all the twiddly bits? Awning - again, they are a good idea but can be an absolute pain if you intend to move every couple of days and they do take up an awful lot of storage space ... is this what the back box is for??? When we bought our current van we thought we would need bits and pieces but in the end the only thing we bought was the gas BBQ point as a roll out awning was free as part of the purchase deal. The BBQ point we used an awful lot but virtually every meal we had consisted of BBQ food, and that's including BBQ'ing in the rain!!! Now you can get some good gas BBQ's that run off the smaller canisters so you don't need to attach it to your van at all, yes the canisters cost more but you have the option of moving the BBQ quite a way from your van, can use it at home in the garden and if you find it's not for you, you can sell it and haven't had the expensive outlay of having a BBQ point installed. Basically I'd just see how you get on with it and think carefully about all of the bits and pieces you 'think' you need, you may find, as enodreven says, that you don't really need it. Let us know what you decide to do.

hi thanks for replys good to feel some one at least is listening, have now been told if we want the van no extras 11.4.06 if we want extras 18.4.06 really think we may cancel as feel really messed around and if this is the pre sales what is after sales like. Three dates we have been given two have now been cancelled, also have started insurance as last week they told to send cover note so they could tax it, have cleared out caravan and sold stuff as we would have been going away in new motorhome according to original dates do either have to accept early date and no extras or lose money deposit on wekk at easter. Also at Nec they came up with a just marginally better deal than Brownhills who admited they could not deliver within three weeks. Which Barrons claimed they could Brownhills are thirty mins away where as Barrons 2 and half hours away!! If we had know delivery dates we would have gone with the local team.

Did you pay a deposit to the dealer? If so I think you might be stuck with them as they often write into the 'contract' that they can change the delivery date. If you haven't paid a deposit I'd be tempted to pop along to Brownhills, tell them you want a van as soon as possible, put on the thumb screws QUITE a bit - it really does work, remember not to talk too much or get TOO friendly, they are NOT your friends, YOU are doing THEM a favour by offering your custom, they are nice people but they are sales reps at the end of the day out to relieve you of as much cash as possible. If they are willing to talk turkey don't agree to a deal with them immediatley, let them think that you'll walk away and stick with the deal with Barrons, it's amazing what else you can get out of them if you really try. To them a deal is money coming in, no deal is just a waste of air. Although I'm not a great fan of the Newark bunch you do get to play in the jacuzzi!!!

How sad. I had much higher thoughts of Barrons. Mind you is this story not true of most of the dealers in the caravan/motorhome business. I would try playing one dealer off the other. We've had a lot of success from our dealer. By sheer luck they are only 20 minutes away and we have, so far, no bad experiences of them. But we have met someone who has and it nearly ended up in court. Our problem is that they will only service vehicles bought from them and we don't want any of their present offerings. And incidently we had our rollout awning fitted at a show. The only big thing we had fitted from new was an onboard generator. If we had had the van out to play first we would never have had it put in. So go and enjoy it and work out what you really need to spend your pennies on.

I know it doesn't help at this point, but someone said on a forum about a month ago: 'NEVER BUY AT A SHOW'. I agree. The salesmen are on heavy bonus to maximise sales (to pay for the show site and the cost of moving all that kit there and back) and will promise almost anything. The only promise that counts are those in the purchase contract you sign when you part with your deposit, and I'm afraid you will find that's all one-way traffic.

Archived