Step Failed On the Hebrides.

Rayjsj

I have a problem (Houston ??). Up on Lewis in the Hebrides, and our electric step has decided to stop working, it's a 'Project 2000' fitted to a 2005 Autocruise Starlet 11, (a Marquis Starburst). I have checked the 25 amp fuse in the switch, and all the connections to the switch and relay assy. and have give them a spray with a contact lubricant, also checked all the 12v fuses in 'Bonus Plug-in systems' panel, all to no avail. AND i dont have my multi-meter with me, so can't check continuity and supply etc., (trust me to forget to pack it ).

My missus needs the step as she is disabled, managed to borrow an 'unsuitable' small plastic step,

just to get her 'Aboard' but !!!! any ideas on a fix ??

This step also retracts automatically when the engine is started. But now it's 'IN' and doesn't even attempt to move 'Out' on the switch. No grinding noises, helping it with a 'gentle pull' doesn't work either. There are NO dealers etc., over here so, i can't even buy a 'decent' step to fill the gap, or get it repaired professionaly. Any useful thoughts or suggestions ?? Ray

PS been over here since 7th May, so, plenty of rain/wind spray.....

sorry to hear of your problem. I am not the most technically minded so cant help with the electrics. I bought my motorhome with the electric step not working. The previous owner had removed the motor. I was assured it was easy to do and i always planned to repair it but never have. The step pulls out easily and locks in place. The alarm still sounds if i forget to fold it back in. In short this may be an easy short term fix until you get somewhere for it to be looked at

You might find that a local garage may be able to help you. As you say there are no dealers up there and garages have to be more resourceful in the islands. The local tourist information office should be able to help you. There are so many Motorhomes going to the islands that they must have come across some with problems. We have just returned from Orkney and got help from a local garage there.

Margaret and David

Ray,

Can't help with the step unfortunately.

Would be very interested in overnight stops particularly in Barra, North and South Uist and Harris.

We are planning a trip in September and would appreciate any info that you think would be useful to us.

Safe travelling.

Don

Hi Can i suggest a good squirt of WD40, as if you have been exposed to so much wind and rain it may just be a simple poor connection. Also if you can see the cables give all a little jiggle and try operating the step. Worse case nip to Argos as they have plenty of small steps.

see link

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&searchTerms=STEP

Don,

I'll send you a PM when we get back, (early July) with contacts etc.,

To all others, Thankyou for the input, we are struggling on anyway, why do these things ALWAYS happen in places where a solution is not readily available ?? (ps the nearest Argos is in OBAN and we are heading North) Loch Inver,Cape Wrath, Thurso etc., regards Ray

What I really need is 'Clive's' excellent step wiring schematic (must make a copy and put it in the toolbox). ....along with the Multimeter !!

until the next WiFi spot......over and out.

Guest Tracker

Hi Ray - sorry to hear about your problem.

As you know, I'm not much good at the theory of these things but on a practical level, when our identical step ceased to function in a foreign land it turned out to be water ingress into the electrical connector under the step and although it's a bit of a bugger to get at I was able to jiggle it about a bit and clean it as well as get some wd40 into it enough to get it going. Rather than jack the van up to get access we parked the nearside wheels up on a couple of boulders! Plenty of boulders up there I hope!

The step is chain driven and the chain may also be in need of lubrication, but I think that less likely, and if that is not the answer you may be able to release the chain drive (bolts under the step) and just push the step in and out by hand, wedging it with a lump of driftwood - or some baling twine to prevent it kneecapping passing sheep. Plenty of driftwood and baling twine about as well with luck!

Take the fuse out before disconnecting the chain or it may end up jamming itself solid and burning out the motor or damaging itself if it suddenly decides to work.

Can't think of anything else so I hope that helps - have a good holiday.

Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Back in Wi Fi Range, on CC site at Bunree for a break after all the driving.

The 'unsuitable' plastic step finally broke and pitched the missus base over Apex !!! boy the air was blue !!! I don't know where she learned such language ?? she wasn't hurt though. (otherwise i would probably be dead meat). But the mind became suitably focused on fixing the (retired early) step.

Thanks tracker and flicka for the input, I drove the 'Super low' van (dammit !) up on several levellers,

borrowed a decent socket set (thanks Robert !) removed the whole step and housing. A small stone had jammed onto the side runner, also the 'Unwaterproofed' multi-plug was covered in wet mud, and all the contacts were green and useless, regreased chain (going to coat it with white spray on stuff when I get home,so it doesn't attract the grit and mud). Cleaned all the contacts with a needle file and sprayed with contact oil, then refitted step, re-routed cable and plug, cable tied them out of 'harms way'

then 'sealed' the plug and feed wires with silicone (like it should have been in the first place !!).

Suspect that with 'full power' it would have brushed the small stone out of the way, but with the loss through the poor contacts it just couldn't manage it. Just a theory. I sprayed the side runners with PTFE lubricant as well. (and for 'Belt AND Braces I bought a 'Solid' folding step from towsure and had it delivered here.) Thanks for all the ideas and the Diagram..... now my coffee is getting cold.

Back to watching the wildlife in the lovely Highlands.

Ray, Linda and Wendy the Black Lab. :D

PS Tracker, there is a large bolt head under the step housing, that allows you to manually wind it in or out. (only found it with step off and upside down on grass....the step not me !)

pps. The step now works perfectly !!

Guest Tracker
Rayjsj - 2011-06-26 12:25 PM

PS Tracker, there is a large bolt head under the step housing, that allows you to manually wind it in or out. (only found it with step off and upside down on grass....the step not me !)

pps. The step now works perfectly !!

Thanks Ray - I didn't know that! Glad you got it fixed anyway - safe trip home - where is still just as wet as previous years!

You will be delighted to know that since you left home it has been persistently precipitational in Pembrokeshire according to some friends who live at Wolfscastle!

Archived