Are Burstner habitation windows a security risk?

Zyroman

Picked up a silver screen cover bought from a chap on eBay, we were chatting about his van and he showed me where someone had broken into his van outside Ikea Bordeaux during broad daylight. They tried the cab door lock first them moved onto the Habitation window. Basically they used a lever adjacent to each of the four "locking" points and essentially pulled the catches off the window material ! Turns out they are only held onto the Window with what look like sticky pads. The result of all this was the theft of a laptop etc. Does anyone use any method to secure these windows ?

Guest JudgeMental
I would think that any habitation window is liable to access by thieves...surely all easily forced with a screwdriver if not bare hands!. All you can do have an alarm fitted, extra ear splitting internal sounder a good idea as well I guess...Or do as we do and one shops while the other sits in van if area looks at all suspect......broken glass, unsavoury foreign lookin characters etc... :-D

I concur with eddie, but more than that, I can access throu glass windows in most vehicles in seconds, o.k. it leaves the glass in millions of bits, but why would I care if I'm just the contents of your van?

I have often wondered why some enterprising company doesn't make a nice stainless or powder coated steel grill to fit inside the windows. Nothing to heavy and decorative (for Mrs Hallii). Since all my doors are fitted with a seperate deadlock this would make a worthwhile improvement to security.

There is room to do it, I looked and considered making my own.

H

Guest JudgeMental
hallii - 2011-06-04 2:42 PM

I have often wondered why some enterprising company doesn't make a nice stainless or powder coated steel grill to fit inside the windows. Nothing to heavy and decorative (for Mrs Hallii). Since all my doors are fitted with a seperate deadlock this would make a worthwhile improvement to security.

There is room to do it, I looked and considered making my own.

H

All it would need is one bar across centre of window.....

True enough, but I was thinking of something like a grill or grid maybe wrought iron style.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned escape in case of fire!

The fact is when you get as old as me a few extra risks here and there don't count for much.

H

Guest JudgeMental
hallii - 2011-06-04 7:52 PM

True enough, but I was thinking of something like a grill or grid maybe wrought iron style.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned escape in case of fire!

H

probably because its pretty obvious. the other problem of course being what do you fix the grill to? a soft sandwich wall.....

better buying an ex Brinxs Mat security van and fitting that out! :-D

Have seen some european vans fitted with roller shutters on here before now......

Guest peter

Burstners are no more a risk than any other make as they mostly all use the same type of crappy caravan windows. It's ridiculous really as many motorhomes cost 10 times as much as a caravan.

I'ts not brain surgery to make windows that fit totally within the frame, thus removing the handy flange to get a tool or even your hands beneath to wrench out the window.

Thanks for all the responses, to be honest I don't really care as it gives me the chance to catch them at it, now the Wife and kids are another matter and all are still unsettled after a burglary a couple of years ago.

My first 'van was a Compass Avantgarde 300. I managed to lock us out of it - twice 8-)

Prising open the windows in total silence with just my fingers was so easy I was amazed.

The next 'van was a Chausson with flush-fitting windows, but even these could have been prised open with the scumbag's favourite tool - the screwdriver.

One of the reasons for buying my current 'van was that all the windows are the original Peugeot's glass, dark-tinted so no-one can tell whether you are in it or not (if you close the front curtains). Yes, they can be smashed, but at least that can't be done discreetly :-( The 'van also has the added advantage of looking more like a minibus than a camper - less attractive to thieves, perhaps?

There is no such thing as total security for any vehicle; the bloke who achieves THAT would be a millionaire overnight :D

Archived