MILLAU VIADUCT

Clive

(lol) Clive, some amazing photos on there ! We have just returned from France and Spain after 3 months and although I belive we passed close to Lillau on the way down we did encounter some mechanical problems which meant we never got to see the viaduct. :-( Your photos etc really make me want to go there next time we travel (which we hope will be fairly soon!) . Thank you for sharing!

Our pleasure, Its only a bit of fun and I have abetter camera now, but its a beautiful country up in them hills, especially viewed from the back of "Vagabond" a rather large black horse I occasionally ride in the Cause Noir. Go and enjoy.

I can't wait until we can go to see it, I first heard of it early last year and then a month or so saw the 'Megastructures' programme on TV about it - absolutely fascinating!!! Do you suppose they'll do bungie-jumping off it???

Just for info, we crossed it Northbound last October when I was hoping to stop for some pics on the viewing areas.  However, when we arrived the parking/viewing areas had all been closed off, in what appeared a quite permanent way.  So, no pics!

Very strange experience though: we'd approached through cloud and rain, so hadn't been expecting to see much more than the piers and stays as we passed over.  However, when we actually arrived, the clouds were sinking off the causses into the Tarn valley, and breaking up as they warmed.  We floated off onto cloud, and then had the experience of looking down through breaking cloud onto the sun flecked valley beneath.  Really quite surreal!  Not too many bridges around the world high enough for that experience I'd guess!

Good pictures Clive.  Nice to see what we missed!

We are hoping to visit Millau this year. We enjoyed your pictures. I am a keen photographer and will be bringing the camera, of course. It seems that the better views are taken of the bridge rather than from the bridge! It's always the same with bridges. Regards and thanks, Empress

Hi, Clive Great photo's. and a very nice web site, I was interested in your Gas installation as i posed a question on a similar subject, i notice that you have a manual isolating valve on the outlet from the Cylinder/tank do you turn this off before you move ?? Brian

Another very good web site (much much better than mine) is from the link below. The particular page is for the Millau Viaduct but many structures world wide are on this site. About three of my photo,s of Millau have made their way on it as well. http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?id=s0000351 Enjoy C. P.S. Has it stopped raining yet?

Archived