Shower floor cracks

Sunnysue

Hi

I have a Rapido 710F and have a few cracks( not too big) in the moulded shower floor. I have read somwhere that this is a common fault in Rapidos. Does anyone know how I can repair these crack to at least make it waterproof , also how is the shower room floor constructed is there a further layer of waterproof material below the moulded floor or is it the vehicle floor? I have tried "Capt Tolleys creeping crack cure" but no luck in bonding it with that unless I am not applying it right more advice please!!

Thanks

Sue

Hi

This unfortunately a common fault with shower trays not only Rapido, in most cases it is because the trays are not supported correctly underneath, this allows the floor to flex giving the cracks you have. The only really neat way of doing a good job is to remove the tray and either replace, making sure that it is supported correctly all over the base. The only way of making a neat repair is from below with fibreglass, but again the tray needs to be seated correctly or you will be back to square one, soon after weight is put on it.

The floor below will not be waterproof and any water going through will be getting to the wooden base floor of the van.

I have never taken a Rapido apart all the above is gleaned from general working on vans I have owned, or helped with.

Hi ,

The shower floor in our 06 Autotrail had crack,s in it I filled them in with Gel Coat Filler bought from e bay,I have used Gel Coat Filler before on my boat with great results it does make it waterproof again,  I found out from the first owner that he had never used the shower in the M/H so I had no worries about the under floor of the shower, need to keep an eye on it in future incase of further flex cracking .  good luck.

Guest peter

We had a 710f and it also had a cracked floor. It was like it when we bought it used, didn't find out until after, as there was a rubber mat in it. It's not possible to weld it as it's made of styrene or abs. Dont use gelcoat filler either as it's too brittle and will crack open as it's only for the outer decorative coloured layer of the grp process and relies on the resin and glass mat for support. I was going to line mine with grp using woven roving as it's neater than chopped strand mat the top covering was going to be white flowcoat, which is a brushable or rollerable form of gel coat. You might have to rub it down a bit after, but it is usually self leveling. Check the plug hole and if it's not cracked around it you can feather the grp into the edge of it. If it's cracked, that's a much greater problem. The tray is very hard to remove , as it's a one piece construction with the shower walls. But maybe not impossible to replace the whole lot. If you can source one and have deep pockets.If you repair it with grp, make sure there is plenty of ventilation as you will get as high as a kite from the styrene in the resin and it's highly flammable.

In the end I sold the van before I did it. I am assuming that it's quite badly cracked as ours was. If it's not bad you might get away with painting it with rubberised/chlorinated swimming pool paint. But I don't know if they do it in white.

Archived