MH parking in Weymouth

Ralph

I wrote to Weymouth council regarding MH parking and they took so long to reply that I was already back from my holiday...

However as their reply is possibly of interest to others I attach below:

Thank you for your recent enquiry. Although your motorhome might be of some considerable length, it is the wheel base of a vehicle that actually matters. If your wheels are able to fit into a regular bay on the long stay carparks (and there are a number that might, Pavilion Car Park, Swannery Car Par, Lodmor Car Park) then you are perfectly entitled to park there and pay accordingly.

If the wheels do not fit into a single bay then may I suggest Lodmor, The Pavilion and Swannery Car Parks (which do have some longer bays): If you have to park over two bays, purchase a ticket for each bay. As always do read the signs before paying and displaying.

I am certain, however, that the car parks above will have bays long enough to accommodate your vehicle, particularly the perimeter bays in Swannery and Pavilion Car Parks - which are situated in town. These are also wide enough to accommodate wheelchair access.

We were down in Weymouth earlier this month & finding any parking was difficult. Although the town was going through major roadworks.

Thanks Ralph, for including the info for wide bay wheelchair accessable parking.

That's an interesting wording by Weymouth Council, regarding the wheels being within the Parking bay. I've not come across that previously.

Let's hope they have given clear instructions to their Car Parking Wardens.

Wonder how many other Councils will take the same view (?) (?)

I actually stayed on the C&CC THS at Broadwey so just used the bus pass to go into Weymouth and Dorchester as the bus stop is so close to it..

In fact there are so many roadworks in Weymouth at the moment that I wouldn't want to take a car there, let alone a motorhome.

Ralph - 2011-06-07 7:04 PM

I actually stayed on the C&CC THS at Broadwey so just used the bus pass to go into Weymouth and Dorchester as the bus stop is so close to it..

In fact there are so many roadworks in Weymouth at the moment that I wouldn't want to take a car there, let alone a motorhome.

That is a really good THS, we stayed there last year and would have been there again this year but for circumstances changing. It was the new relief road that was the problem then.

747 - 2011-06-07 7:46 PM

[

That is a really good THS, we stayed there last year and would have been there again this year but for circumstances changing. It was the new relief road that was the problem then.

Don't know if it was the relief road as it was the main thorofare through town, but certainly a relief to get off it. >:-)

747 - 2011-06-07 7:46 PM

Ralph - 2011-06-07 7:04 PM

....thanks for that. For the second year running we've planned a few days there as a follow on from another THS, and failed both times. I'll keep it on the list for future use.

First time, last year, we started on the THS at the Rugby Club at Wareham, and the weather was so good and we found enough to do, that we stayed for the week instead of moving on (most unlike me, I'm usually "restless").

Then, we had the weekend before last on the THS at Bradford on Avon (another good location - walked into Bath on the canal), but when the weather broke, decided to come home for a couple of days, rather than move on to Broadwey.

It paid off though, because we then headed off to the splendid THS at Hutton Le Hole for three nights, and had glorious weather on a very attractive site.

Small world these days. We left the Weymouth THS, overnighted at The Rising Sun pub at Stockcross, nr Newbury (can heartily recommend the ale and food), did the Southern Counties Championship dog show, then moved on to Bradford upon Avon.

It is a nice walk along the canal if you turn right from the campsite and if you turn left there is a good area to run the dogs down by the river.

I briefly went fishing and caught a Whippet. The silly girl had fell in. :D

Robinhood - 2011-06-07 8:30 PM

First time, last year, we started on the THS at the Rugby Club at Wareham, and the weather was so good and we found enough to do, that we stayed for the week instead of moving on (most unlike me, I'm usually "restless").

Went to the Wareham THS from Weymouth and it was very good. Flat quiet and £5.50 pun.

I like staying on Rugby clubs as you can generally expect a flat field. We helped run one at Stow on the Wold last year and hope to be doing it again this year.

Guest pelmetman

The reason the whole of Weymouth is full of road works is because of the Olympics. They are holding the sailing in the bay.

It seems like they have dug up just about every road and roundabout, the poor locals are going crazy and everyone is complaining about it.

We go to Weymouth a lot as that is where my family live.

Sue

we are going there tomorrow in our transit duetto, we now have a blue badge. will there be any parking on the seafront vicinity just for the day, if we arrive early about 8am. will move some where quieter out of town to park up for the night.

amazing no money for pot holes but roads that are resonable get re done for olympics.

Guest ChrisB
duetto owner - 2011-06-10 8:45 AM

we are going there tomorrow in our transit duetto, we now have a blue badge. will there be any parking on the seafront vicinity just for the day, if we arrive early about 8am. will move some where quieter out of town to park up for the night.

Weymouth and Portland council introduced parking charges for Blue Badge holders in all car parks about 3 years ago (even for residents who could previously obtain a "free parking" badge for council run car parks).

On the seafront parking meters operate during the peak summer period (between autumn-spring there is free and unrestricted parking to the south of the clock tower). On the seafront there are a limited number of reserved disabled parking spaces near Mark & Spencer (time restricted) and the Bandstand Pier (used to be 3hrs now unrestricted). You can also park for free any lentth of time (displaying Blue Badge) along Brunswick Terrace (near the Bandstand Pier).

Alternatively use the carpark behind the Paviloin Ttheatre (on the sea wall near the Condor ferry terminal is best - more space and avoid getting blocked in by cars). It always attracts a gathering of motorhomes.

The Swannery/Radipole car park is partially taken over by the contractors causing the chaos with the road systems so rapidly fills up at present.

The new relief road was opened recently which avoids the bottleknecks on the old Dorchester Road but delivers visitors right into the middle of the roadworks chaos at the Swannery Bridge.

I would suggest that visitors coming along the new Relief Road take the first roundabout exit along the Littlemoor Road to Preston (you will then go over first roundabout, right at second) and take the picturesque route along the whole length of the seafront. This will take you past the bandstand Pier (turn left for Brunswick Terrace), past the Clock Tower (just repainted), and on to the Pavilion Theatre. For the Radipole car park turn right at the Clock Tower (via King Street past the Railway Station which is currently one way).

Hope the weather is good for you - it's a great day out on a sunny day.

If you fancy a short brisk walk with views cross the Quay and walk up towards the Nothe Fort. Perhaps take a drink or meale at the Nothe Tavern.

Enjoy the views over the bay and Portland, but don't come during the Olympics as the council is allowing the organisers to fence off this public land and charge visitors exhorbitant fees for entrance (another bone of contention with local residents).

Guest pelmetman
A bit of inside information................... part of the reason that perfectly good roundabouts in Weymouth have been replaced with non sensible traffic lights is so that the Olympic dignitaries can be whisked through without having to queue like the hoi polloi *-)

Guest ChrisB
pelmetman - 2011-06-10 6:46 PM

A bit of inside information................... part of the reason that perfectly good roundabouts in Weymouth have been replaced with non sensible traffic lights is so that the Olympic dignitaries can be whisked through

Yes - just wish I could get hold of one of their remote controls to change the lights in my favour :-D

be aware that the cost of parking in weymouth is out of this world.

also i read some place that they are going to take up all the lights and so on after the games. what a total waste of money. i go sailing at weymouth, well i did until until the dinghy park was taken over by the german terms. my understanding is that five teams are paying over 300,000 pounds for the use of the dinghy park.its just maddness.

michael

Archived