Would you consider?

nightrider

I am sorry that while I appreciate the Poster’s possible desire to elicit representative replies, I personally feel the question cannot be answered correctly.

While one can easily make a statement of intent while being in full possession of one’s faculties, doing the same when in the state described is a completely different story. It may be that a person in such a situation may in fact be able to coherently make such a decision, but I suspect the majority will not, either due to the effect of drugs or that mental ability has also declined. So, do you make this life choosing decision beforehand, or wait until you actually find out what ‘hand’ fate has dealt you? What happens if you have made this choice at an earlier date but then decide against it, but are unable to explain your change of mind? There is also the comment of ‘no hope of recovery’. One can never say that for certain. Although medical opinion may indicate that state at that point in time, there is no guarantee that somewhere, sometime a cure may become available to at least improve the life style if nothing else. There is also the option, if you believe in it, of divine intervention. I cannot say if it exists, similarly I cannot state for sure it does not. There is also the small detail of loved ones. While nobody would ever wish to prolong suffering, there is also the responsibility of what this action may have on others, especially if any of the above were to appear subsequently.

So, while I am sure the majority would make responses affirming interest in the Poster’s suggestion I would have to question any real validity of such comments. However, that is just my own opinion.

I am sorry that while I appreciate the Poster’s possible desire to elicit representative replies, I personally feel the question cannot be answered correctly.

While one can easily make a statement of intent while being in full possession of one’s faculties, doing the same when in the state described is a completely different story. It may be that a person in such a situation may in fact be able to coherently make such a decision, but I suspect the majority will not, either due to the effect of drugs or that mental ability has also declined. So, do you make this life choosing decision beforehand, or wait until you actually find out what ‘hand’ fate has dealt you? What happens if you have made this choice at an earlier date but then decide against it, but are unable to explain your change of mind? There is also the comment of ‘no hope of recovery’. One can never say that for certain. Although medical opinion may indicate that state at that point in time, there is no guarantee that somewhere, sometime a cure may become available to at least improve the life style if nothing else. There is also the option, if you believe in it, of divine intervention. I cannot say if it exists, similarly I cannot state for sure it does not. There is also the small detail of loved ones. While nobody would ever wish to prolong suffering, there is also the responsibility of what this action may have on others, especially if any of the above were to appear subsequently.

So, while I am sure the majority would make responses affirming interest in the Poster’s suggestion I would have to question any real validity of such comments. However, that is just my own opinion.

Most certainly yes.

I watched my Mother die an excruciatingly painful death (Cancer of the pancreas) and then again my Mother in Law (Osteoporosis, Endocarditis) - My Mother in law in particular was kept alive by drips and oxygen and the drying effect of the oxygen made her tongue look like a dried up piece of raw liver that when she moved it, it cracked and bled.

These two ladies did not deserve to die in such a state and in such pain. If we did the same thing to an animal in its last days and hours we would, quite rightly be charged with cruelty.

Some say it is Gods right to get us to die at the time of his choosing. My take on that is that if any God wants people to suffer like that then he deserves no allegiance from me.

I hope the law changes to allow assisted suicide – to allow people to die in the pain I saw is inhumane.

knight of the road - 2011-06-07 3:31 PM

If you had a terminal illness, no hope of recovery, in constant pain and no quality of life would you consider assisted suicide??

Yes, I hope I would have the courage to make that decision. It imposes a considerable burden on the facilitator who administers the fatal dose, but if someone is prepared to accept that responsibility, it would be my preference to go sooner rather than later. A long, slow, death, even if pain is properly managed (rare, it seems), imposes an enormous burden on family and friends, whose suffering I think at times probably exceeds that of the patient. If you are not then mentally sufficient to decide, the case would not not arise. So far as I know, no-one will administer the fatal dose unless the patient agrees at the time.

Theocratic beliefs and convictions are not of much help IMO. If we are "given" life by supernatural means, the same means gave us intelligence, presumably with the intention we should use it. Whether we chose to use our intelligence to limit our suffering then seems to be for us to decide. Presumably, if we get it wrong we shall be told, if not we shall have to defend our decision. Otherwise, we shall just have brought forward the time of our end to suit our needs. Is anyone who is of sound mind likely to do this frivolously?

An extremely immotive subject I think and there will be many people with differing opinions for many reasons, some may be from personal experience and others on grounds of morality and other's who perhaps just don't know.

In my own opinion I believe that there is no easy solution to this difficult question. I agree with the post that said that we would not permit animals to suffer and could even be prosecuted for doing so but we allow human beings to suffer degradation.

If when we die we wish to donate any of our useful functioning organs we can opt to carry an 'organ Donor Card'. Could we not have something similar to a 'Will' that was written and witnessed by a medical professional stating that at the time of writing we were fully 'Compus Mentus' which stated that if we were to become terminally ill and suffering in great pain or with no expectation of a reasonable standard of life, with no present available cure, that we wished to have our life terminated, But what would be the definition of Terminally ill and in great suffering or reasonable standard of life ?

I may also be a bit cynical but there are those in this world who would abuse any such agreement for their own ends, Family or even medical professionals.

I have a particular interest in this subject and should things go the wrong way I want to be in control of my destiny. I want to go with dignity and without pain.

I have made my wishes clear and they are on my medical record, no resus and no trying to turn back the clock, once the grim reaper comes knocking at my door let him in.

I will keep this story as short as posible because really it is a LONG story

6 years ago a friend had bowel cancer, seriously only 40% chance of surviving operation, survived and was selected to volunteer for a trial programe of treatment after he had signed a disclaimer.

Survived the treatment but was ill and couldn't walk anymore, really really bad pain.

He was given a maximum of two years to live, this pain continued for about two years then he researched on internet, bought treatment from America and although many times he thought of giving up because of the pain he didn't, now 6 years later he is beginning to walk again, only twenty yards or so but walking, he has practically regained control of his bowels and is still smiling and now also driving his car.

Had never been off the sofa for six years, once a month a night at the pub for his one pint.

Point is he thought of giving up, the doctors had given up and now he is clear of cancer and just beginning to walk so NEVER give up, NEVER NEVER give up, do something for yourself cos the doctors won't

Working with people with varying degree's of illness, death and disabilities all I can add is that although technology is great in parts it has alot to answer for in others.

I admire your friend greatly for having the courage and chin up attitude, I for one would not have that in me and would have given up the fight alot sooner, everyone is different and the ability to take pain and misery for 6 years would not be attainable for some.

Mandy

I think this is a personal thing, some people may not have the courage to do it whilst others do.

Whilst i would hope I have the courage to take my own life in this situation in order that my family do not suffer perhaps more than I - I have a feeling that I would be a coward unfortunately!!

It is not the answer for everyone but you know when someone is past the point of life and that is the time for professional intervention to stop suffering of the person involved also their family.

Archived