What Motorhome?

Barryd999

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-10 6:26 PM

Barryd999 - 2011-06-09 10:44 PM....................I have been talking to the owner of John Cross Motorhomes and he reckons the Kontiki 645 at 4250KG has a user payload after the driver and fuel etc of 500KG. "More than enough for a rack and scooter". To be honest if its true it ticks all the boxes apart from the dining table which presumably can be addressed..................................

Then I'm afraid I disagree with the dear boy! More than enough for a rack and scooter? In isolation, maybe, but what about the occupants, their clothing, their clutter, their food and drink, etc etc? A van that size, being used as a full time home, will need at least 500Kg just for the occupancy load. The overhang is substantial, so the rack will be heavy, and will also sit low. My money is on an overloaded rear axle, a lot of grounding problems, and continual concerns about overload. IMO, you'll need about 750Kg payload after driver and fuel etc.

Hmm you may be right. Our current Kontiki is just under 3500KG and we manage (just). Just packed up for 3-4 month trip tomorrow. We are bang on the limit though. I think our payload is quote impressive though for a 3.5 ton van. Overhang on the new Kontiki is considerably less than many vans but there is no way I would buy any van without the test drive involving a trip to the weigh station to establish what it REALLY is.

So far then the only van thats German with bags of payload with our layout requirements is the two Eura Mobils

Archived