burstnert680 motorhome

nasher

I feel a bit tempted just to say yes, thank you, but I assume that does not quite answer your question! :-)

Can you explain what it is you are trying to find out, because you can weigh the vehicle in different states to get various answers? Very simply stated, payload is the difference between the MAM (or maximum permissible weight) of the vehicle, and its weight empty, but complete with tools, jack etc, and spare wheel (if fitted), and with its gas, fresh water, and fuel reservoirs 90% full, plus 75Kg for the driver.

What that will tell you is how much is left for passengers, food, drink, clothing, shoes, books, toys, bikes, etc. etc. and all your general clutter. What it will not tell you, is whether your van will be overloaded when filled and ready to leave for a trip. Neither will it tell you whether either of its axles is liable to become overloaded when so laden.

So, it's useful knowledge, but not necessarily that useful. Do also bear in mind that the MAM is fixed (unless you have the vehicle legally re-plated), so the weights of any fitted extras/options (awning, bike rack, extra batteries, satellite dish, solar panels etc) have to be accommodated from payload. So, if any such have been added, and you want to verify the maker's quoted figure, which will invariably omit such items, you will need to adjust the quoted figure accordingly. Does this help?

Hi Nasher

I guess this is what you are looking for:-

1 - Drive onto the weighbridge pause a while, then drive off. (This records gross vehicle weight (GVW) )

2 - Reverse back on to the weighbridge, so only the rear wheels rest on the platform. (This records the rear axle load.)

3 - Calculate front axle load by subtracting rear load from GVW.

(note:- this may be shown on the weighbridge ticket as "Tare Weight")

Archived