Looking at Autotrail Tracker EKS

micky19452

Hi there,

We are complete newbies to motorhoming and just looking to buy our first motorhome. We are thinking that the Autotrail Tracker EKS suits most of our needs. We won't be buying new, perhaps 2007/2008 model. What do we need to look out for, has anyone experienced any problems with this model?

All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Tracker

Hi Mickey and welcome to the nuthouse! Most of us are friendly and helpful so don't be put off by the occasional idiot fringe and don't be afraid to ask - we all had to start to learn somewhere!

We had a previous model Fiat based Tracker EKS and it worked very well for us. The 2.3 engine pulled well and managed around 28 mpg over a couple of years and about 20,000 miles. It was totally reliable and took us all over France and on up to the Nordkapp and back as well as a trip to Northern Scotland.

Not so keen on the overly hard ride as it made it prone to numerous rattles and creaks and squeaks from the conversion end and the caravan door never did shut properly there always being daylight visible around parts of the frame!

The miniature TV above the cab was a bit useless as a tv but fine as a reversing camera. Newer ones now have a larger screen I believe but quite how or if that works as a reversing camera I know not?

Are you aware of the under bonnet water leak issues and the ongoing reverse gear saga that seems to affect so many of the otherwise fine latest Fiat X250 base vehicles?

Was talking to a chap with a tracker on a site in France last week.  His was a 2007 I think; he had been having a few problems with his electrics/reversing mirror.  Other than that he said he was very satisfied with the van.  (My OH said he had done some wiring in of TV/DVD player himself, so don't know if that was the cause of the problems).

I'm sure there will be plenty of others with 1st hand experience to pass onto you.

Just make sure you test drive it!

We spent over a year looking at vans before deciding on a Tracker like you our first ever MH, and we felt the layout suited our needs to a tee.

Bought ours new in Sept 2010, picked it up on the 1st, off touring NW Scotland on 3rd for 3 weeks 950 miles, no problems other than a few minor snags easily fixed with a screwdriver. As I write we are touring Norfolk, now over 5200 trouble free miles and are well pleased.

Its a sensible sized MH which is great on small narrow roads, easily parked and we've no gripes about our ownership at all. On dealers recommendation we went for the overhead bed model the storage this gives with mattress removed is brilliant (bedding, coats etc)

I believe some Trackers prior to 2010 had no spare wheel fitted as standard so its worth checking. Also make sure it is an EKS with the SE pack fitted, (awning, media system, cab ac etc)

Stewart

Feel free to ask if you've any other queries.

Bought our Tracker EKS new in March after having AS Pollensa since 2003. Have had no major probs -as previous contributor comments that a screw driver didn't fix. Was apprehensive before changing bearing in mind Fait judder probs, but that apparently now fixed - don't know situation with year that you are thinking about.. Tracker more roomy inside than Pollensa.

Overall well pleased so far.

My experience of Trackers can only be described as very good if its the layout that you like. I own a 3ltr manual and is trouble free, I'm not a speed merchant but the extra power is very welcome on long French inclines. The habitation area is rattle free but thats down to how every thing is stored and the cooker fittings are silenced with plastic and foam tubing when on the open road. As regards year of manufacture it would be wise to purchase the latest year of manufacture that you can afford and try to get the previous owners contact details to ask about any engine and transmission modifications that might or might not have been done. I personally wouldn't touch one that had had an engine power upgrade but thats only my point of view, others may disagree. If it isn't fitted with a spare wheel they can be purchased from a Fiat garage and you can fit a tyre to match, it will then fit in the normal storage area under the rear chassis. Something that also will want checking out and this applies to all motorhomes no matter how old they are is floor delamination, get underneath and have a look for drill holes down the centre of the chassis, at this stage the salesman might do a runner, and have a good stamping session inside, hopefully it wont be spongy. I hope I haven't put you off but these are just a few considerations when thinking of parting with your hard earned cash.

We have a 2004 model EKS SE Tracker our first MH, we only bought it last year but have done 6000 miles in it and are over the moon with it.

It is only a 2 ltr engine but went over the pass into Applecross, Scotland no problem. It is comfortable both travelling and on site with plenty of room for two.

The biggest draw back with it is the payload, we have an extra battery a solar panel and a bike rack which means we are limited to what we can carry without going over our maximum rear axle load. I don't know if the new model has a similar payload but before you buy one ensure that you have enough capacity over the rtear axle as we have spare capacity on the front but the rear one is at maximum with everything heavy carried as far forward as possible.

Before you commit to buying have the van weighed, the carrying capacity is realistically only what you have available over the rear axle any weight added behind the rear axle, particularly on the bike rack, reduces the front axle loading but increases the rear axle load by more than the added weight.

If the weight issue checks out OK with you I am sure you will have years of pleasure from a Tracker.

Hope this helps

Archived