parking at a racecourse

trickydicky

Warwick has a CC site inside the track. Wincanton has a CC site but on the outside of the track. Cheltenham also has a CC site. There are others that I've not been to.

The sites are closed on race days.

You do not have to be a member to look at the site details.They are on the CC web site.

art

art338 - 2011-06-11 12:13 AM

Warwick has a CC site inside the track. Wincanton has a CC site but on the outside of the track. Cheltenham also has a CC site. There are others that I've not been to.

The sites are closed on race days.

You do not have to be a member to look at the site details.They are on the CC web site.

art

We have stayed on both Warwick and Cheltenham. Not sure what Art means by closed, if he means you cannot get on them during race days he is mostly correct, we got onto Cheltenham on a race day, meeting was an evening one, but the sites are certainly not closed. Both are OK sites and easy to walk into the towns, if you like racing the site fee gives you free admission to the course, although not all sections.

When I was at Wincanton in May this year I was told they lose site money as the campers are not permitted on that day. When at Warwick a similar situation was indicated.

If when looking to book on the CC web page it will be noticed that bookings are indicated as full on race days.

I do not know if a visitor can stay on either sites DURING race days when having already booked TO COVER race days.

But you certainly cannot enter or exit the sites when racing is on. Warwick has the CC site inside the track so obviously it cannot be crossed during race days, and when we were there recently we had to depart by 10 am due to a site closure due to racing.

When a CC web page indicates that a racecourse site is closed on race days I assume it means ALL OUT and the site is empty of all vehicles !

Can some then clarify what closed means, with regard to race days.

art

art338 - 2011-06-11 1:15 PM

When I was at Wincanton in May this year I was told they lose site money as the campers are not permitted on that day. When at Warwick a similar situation was indicated.

If when looking to book on the CC web page it will be noticed that bookings are indicated as full on race days.

I do not know if a visitor can stay on either sites DURING race days when having already booked TO COVER race days.

But you certainly cannot enter or exit the sites when racing is on. Warwick has the CC site inside the track so obviously it cannot be crossed during race days, and when we were there recently we had to depart by 10 am due to a site closure due to racing.

When a CC web page indicates that a racecourse site is closed on race days I assume it means ALL OUT and the site is empty of all vehicles !

Can some then clarify what closed means, with regard to race days.

art

Art as I say in my post above I have stayed on both Warwick and Cheltenham sites on race days. Things may have changed since 2009 so would guess a telephone to CC to find out current pastion.

We have stayed at......

Exeter

Wincanton

Warwick

Uttoxeter

Cheltenham

All CC Sites but really good places to stay...My personal favourite was Wincanton...Er indoors favoured Cheltenham if only for the shopping in the town..Only a £1 bus ride from the park and ride a 5 minute walk from the site

We have stayed on several racecourse sites which are really pleasureable places usually.

However, a word of warning to animal lovers - we were unfortunate enough to be staying at Warwick on a raceday once and were witness to an unfortunate accident which resulted in the injured horse being shot on the course - it can be distressing.

We still will stay on racecourse sites but do avoid racedaysnow.

David

Hi,

We've stayed at Thirsk racecourse a couple of times. Good facilities quiet but within easy, five minutes if that, walking distance of the centre of Thirsk which is an attractive market town with amongst other things the James Herriot museum in the actual real life vet, Alf Wight's house and surgery.

Sites not available race days obviously, but well worth adding to your list.

My belief is that as long as you are already on the Campsite then you are okay to stay there on race days, but they will not allow new arrivals on a race day. Most also provide hardstanding and EHU with wc/shower facilities. I also believe that many allow none club members, although you may pay a higher nightly rate.

Exeter Racecourse is a lovely location, you can walk the perimeter road inside the whole track, and there is a Model Flying Club in the middle. It's a CC site, and perfect for a weekend 'chill' :-D

Great Yarmouth is another CC site, nicely laid out, 5 minutes walk from the beach, and 15 minutes into the town.

You would need to join the CC, or pay a silly premium.

Club sites are not popular with some of the tight@rses on this forum, though, 'cos you have to pay a 'site fee' 8-)

An official reply to racecourse parking during race days.

Dear Mr Art

Thank you for your email.

Yes a booking can be made to arrive at the Site the day before a race day and to leave after the race day. It is only on the actual days they have the racing that movement on the sites is restricted. Outfits which are already on site do not have to leave.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Kind Regards

Pauline

Web Contact Team

The Caravan Club

Archived