Scenic route to The Trossachs

wild rover

Cross Wales and either pick up the scenic but winding A483 or the almost as scenic but easier road to travel, A49 to take you up near Chester. You'll need to take the motorways through the Cheshire and Lancashire conurbations to Preston unless you want to travel up through the Pennines such as the A6033 from near Rochdale to Skipton and the A65. From Preston the A6 or A59 are scenic with the A59 taking you up to the A65. Think about travelling up the Settle & Carlisle roads.

The A7 from near Carlisle is a fabulous road to Edinburgh. The motorways up through the central lowlands are scenic in many areas. Or you can swing through Glasgow and along Loch Lomond, and then drop down the A85 into Callander.

Personally, I'd do the A49 from Hereford to the M56, hop up the M6 to Preston, then the A6 to Carlisle - if I had time I'd do the glorious Cumbrian coast but the roads can be narrow in places. From Carlisle, I'd do the M74 and M9 through Sterling. A good balance of ease of driving and scenery.

Of course, you could go through Snowdonia, the Peak District, the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors and/or Lake District before dropping into the Eden Valley into Carlisle. Then the A7 to Edinburgh, a quick tour of the Fife coast [wonderfully underrated], and across to Callander.

Have a great time.

Brock - 2011-06-11 11:40 PM

Cross Wales and either pick up the scenic but winding A483 or the almost as scenic but easier road to travel, A49 to take you up near Chester. You'll need to take the motorways through the Cheshire and Lancashire conurbations to Preston unless you want to travel up through the Pennines such as the A6033 from near Rochdale to Skipton and the A65. From Preston the A6 or A59 are scenic with the A59 taking you up to the A65. Think about travelling up the Settle & Carlisle roads.

The A7 from near Carlisle is a fabulous road to Edinburgh. The motorways up through the central lowlands are scenic in many areas. Or you can swing through Glasgow and along Loch Lomond, and then drop down the A85 into Callander.

Personally, I'd do the A49 from Hereford to the M56, hop up the M6 to Preston, then the A6 to Carlisle - if I had time I'd do the glorious Cumbrian coast but the roads can be narrow in places. From Carlisle, I'd do the M74 and M9 through Sterling. A good balance of ease of driving and scenery.

Of course, you could go through Snowdonia, the Peak District, the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors and/or Lake District before dropping into the Eden Valley into Carlisle. Then the A7 to Edinburgh, a quick tour of the Fife coast [wonderfully underrated], and across to Callander

Thank you for your really indepth reply! Much appreciated!

Pam

The A82 road along Loch Lomond from Tarbert on is very narrow and has lots of bends. It is a disgrace for one of the major roads north

Especially if you have a big van it can be very unpleasant if you meet a bus or lorry on some of the bends

At times the surface is bad with potholes I don't know how it is at the moment as we avoid it both in the van and the car.

Dumfries and Galloway is very attractive but often overlooked and depending on the time of year you are travelling could be easier to get into a campsite than busier areas

Margaret and David

Archived