The Judges 2011 Summer reading thread

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Someone beat me to it last year, so this thread is for any recommendations for summer reads. I tend to read only crime so maybe not for everone.....

Currently reading my way though the Inspector Montalbano series from Andrea Camilleri. Also the martin Beck series from Swedish writer Per Wahloo. Then there is the Hollywood series from Joseph Wamburgh..

then there is lots of others from the likes of, James Lee burke, Lee Childs, Le Carre, Dennis Lehane, michael Connelly, Henning mankell.

also DVDs I have been saving up for hot summer nights are: French crime TV series "The spiral". " The Pacific" and the last 2 box sets of "The Wire" Cant wait for series 2/3 of recent BBC 4 Norwegian series "the Killing" to return....simply excellent TV

So thats ne...what about you! :-D All the above are currently in the van, we dont bother with TV. Well moi is a Lord doncha know! and extremely highbrow*-)

Whilst in Egypt last month I devoured a Micheal Connelly, I don't do much fiction, (biography chap on the whole), but it really was excellent and has whetted my appetite.

Currently enjoying the DVD set of BBC's Andrew Marr waffling on about the making Britain, (History of modern Britain & Making of modern Britain), absolutely superb viewing, BBC and Marr at their very best.

Currently reading Denis Nordern's scratchings on his coming & goings throughout his theatrical writing & TV life. Hilarious stuff in places.

Martyn

Not a great book reader myself, tend to browse magazines instead. Must be something to do with a short attention span or something 8-)

When I'm driving around during the day I often listen to talking books or 5 Live.

When we're away in our MH we rarely watch TV and instead listen to our saved up extensive library of "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", "The News Quiz", "Just A Minute", "Old Harry's Game", "The Unbelievable Truth" and selected "Desert Island Discs". It makes for REALLY entertaining fun evenings.

Mrs Way2Go is an avid reader so I bought her a wi-fi Kindle last Christmas and have so far collected over 1,500 books for her so she's more than happy.

Enjoy the crime fighting books Judge (but keep one eye over your shoulder ;-) )

W2G

Guest JudgeMental

Dave has reminded me, I also have the Keith Richard autobiogrphy...will stick that in cupboard later

Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2011-06-12 9:25 AM

JudgeMental - 2011-06-12 9:08 AM

Dave has reminded me, I also have the Keith Richard autobiogrphy...will stick that in cupboard later

Eddie, if you haven't already try Ronnie Wood's, that is a very good read.

Martyn

dont normally do autobiographys but will do...

If you like the Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch series can I also recommend the Johnatahan kellerman novels featuring Alex Delaware..they are a great read and I think you will find them to your liking.....One of my favorites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Delaware

and he has written lots of books...

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/jonathan-kellerman/

Think I've mentioned my peculiar (eclectic) tastes before but ...

If you like the nordic crime stuff then you could try Jo Nesbo whose policeman Harry Hole is an incredibly flawed human being.

The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse continues the Cathar theme she started in Labyrinth & Sepulchre.

Lindsey Davis writes about a private dick in roman times.

Various writers on the roman empire include Harry Sidebottom, Ben Kane & Conn Iggulden.

CJ Sansom covers many Tudor times and Sharon Penman covers the 12th & 13th century.

Although these are all fiction writers they do the research and most of the events etc are based on fact.

For Sci-Fi then Terry Pratchett, Rachel Neumeier, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie all work well.

For those with eReaders most of the above are available in epub format.

Enjoy!

Guest JudgeMental

I have Labyrinth but its not in the van....

Joe Nesbo is on my list to get around to..... :-D

just ordered Nesbo 3 4 5 and 6 but cant find 1 and 2 probably out of print....

Just read this months Nuts mag and all latest pics on Wayne Rooneys hair transplant , fascinating . Also Jordans updated biography and as for DVDs got to be X Factor " the out takes " 6 DVD box set . If Im wanting to keep pace with current world news and politics then I find the Daily Star provides all I need

Guest pelmetman

I can't find anything that matches Patrick O'Brian and the Jack Aubrey series :-(

I'll have to stick to the Beano and Dandy :D

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2011-06-12 3:34 PM

I can't find anything that matches Patrick O'Brian and the Jack Aubrey series :-(

Yes a great set of books !

Anything by John le Carre is well worth a read. My favourites are Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smileys People of course. Bit dated now with world events being what thay have been but superb writing.

Half way through The Mission Song - very good indeed.

Always buy the latest Pratchet. - I see he has a programme on TV soon about assisted suicide - given his situation I will watch that with interest. And relevant of course to the recent thread on here.

Love Science Fiction of most genre's - old classic stuff in particular at the moment. Recently "The Rediscovery Man" collection by Cordwainer Smith. Very thought provoking stuff - even disturbing in a way that did not when i read it as a student years ago. In one part man breads animals in human form to act as workers/slaves - and they kill a lady dog called D'Joan (the D denoting dog) by burning her at the stake (Joan of Arc symbolism) and all the while this D'Joan professes her love for man such that some of the soldiers carrying out the execution rebel.

Remarkable writing. Would recommend Cordwainer Smith. His Nostrillia book (based on Australia in the far future) is superb.

And his short story " Game of Rat and Dragon" is especially good for all those of us who love cats.

Forgot to add "The Girl" trilogy (or the "Millennium series") by Swedish writer Stieg Larsson.

Got this for Christmas and read one after the other. Very enjoyable read and look forward to seeing the films,

Some characters are extremely well portrayed whilst others seem a little trite - it may be me but I found the inclusion of a retired boxer for a short period, just when the heroine was up against a giant of a man who feels no pain who has some boxing skills very contrived. I can remember laughing and putting the book down and making a cup of tea at this point! 8-)

But the climax in book three is excellent as is the way the loose ends are tied up.

Sad that the author is now dead. It seems that there are more books but they were left to his partner (not married) and under Swedish Law, in these circumstances, his family controls publication as they would get the proceeds, not his long term lady partner to whom he left his unpublished writings. Shame that.

If what is published about the shenanigans that went on before and after his death and why his Will was not signed is true then Sweden is far more than a quiet country that makes solid cars and aircraft!

Guest JudgeMental
The reason Larrson did not marry his long term partner was because in Sweden when married you have to register your address .and as a political Journalist he received many death threats.....

Yes that is what I read. Good coverage on Wikipedia.

They also cite his death as being "strange" for a fit 50 year old to die of heart failure after climbing seven fights of stairs because the lifts were out of action.

The guy has an interesting history of being very left wing and critical of the government.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you! (lol)

JudgeMental - 2011-06-12 1:19 PM

I have Labyrinth but its not in the van....

Joe Nesbo is on my list to get around to..... :-D

just ordered Nesbo 3 4 5 and 6 but cant find 1 and 2 probably out of print....

I don't think 1 & 2 were translated for our market. I know one of the local Waterstone's staff who's a fan of his and she's under the impression that the series here starts with The Redbreast. It's also true that books 4 & 5 appear to be in the wrong order but they're not.

Finally got around to reading a couple of Wilbur Smith books - fantastic reading - the stories bowl along at an incredible pace 8-) Both books were over 500 pages long and I could hardly put them down.

Can't wait 'til my next visit to a CC site, I'll be scouring the bookshelves for more from him :D

Guest JudgeMental
bertie dog - 2011-06-13 4:59 PM

Lee Child gets my vote trouble is I read them faster than he writes them

Come on Jack Reacher

Reacher is a real one off, great stuff...but like you say not enough books!lol

After watching the Wallender series on BBC 3 and 4 i read the first Henning Mankell novel Faceless Killers and quite enjoyed it for a whodunnit. May be not up your street but i recently stumbled across Conn Iggulden and read a cracking yarn about acient Rome which was a researched historical novel in a set of 3. While in France last year i read Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell which i thought may attract some attention but i suppose they prefer to forget B-) A brilliant brilliant book

I read crime novels but found i got a little fed up with the Rankin, Minette Walters, Patricia Cornwell genre so tried something different and really enjoyed the historical novels.

I also took to reading some classics and read Dickens and also To Kill a Mockingird, absolutely classic. Have got the Johnny Cash boig to read and also The pillars of the Earth.

Conn Iggulden wrote the Emperor Series, 4 books about Rome.

He also wrote a trilogy about Ghengis Khan.

Bernard Cornwell is probably best know for the Sharpe series but has also written series based on King Arthur (Warlord Series), the Viking invasions of the time of Alfred the Great and also the Grail Quest trilogy which is set in middle ages when we went invading France.

So if you like these authors you can keep yourself occupied for ages.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived