led spot lights

bolero50

Ok, I have been resisting answering this one, and no doubt others have as well.

There has been some discussion here on LED lights and reliability, so you will have to do a search to read the threads.

However, I have fitted LEDS throughout and have had no problems, I bought mine of ebay but I cannot remember who, they are reasonably bright (but not as bright as the original halogen bulbs) but consume almost no power in comparison. I rarely have electric hook ups so conserving battery power was my main objective. Maybe it is the hook ups that cause the failure problems? I don't know, but it would be best to buy one or two first and give them a good test over some months. They are not cheap and to have a whole batch going one by one could be expensive.

Mine are the ones with proper leds, not the surface mounted ones (usually square) this may or may not have something to do with reliability.

H

Hi Andrew,

Can you clarify whether you are looking for complete lighting units, or simply the bulbs?

It's not clear if you wish to replace small spot lights with something a little larger (as I first interpreted), or if you are intending replacing halogen bulbs in existing units.

bolero50 - 2011-06-12 5:25 PM

Can anyone suggest a supplier for Led spot lights. I would like to change the lights. The new Swift mh has very small pencil type spot lights, i am not sure how effective they are.

You will find them, but you need to do a bit of research first. Try Ultraleds or simply put LEDS into Google and you will find something to match.

We could simply replace halogen bulbs with MR11, and other, replacement lamps and found that the SMD ones were brighter and lasted longer but would guess that they are all more reliable these days.

P&L

Recently brought Led bulbs from Caravan club rally Removed old bulb from holder and took it to the stand and the guy showed me the difference between amp use-age of my bulb and replacement Led .Price was 4 for £33.00 ,for type to fit my van.Have found that they are much cooler in use then old bulbs ,the holder no longer gets hot on outside ,and most important the holder part that is inside the cupboard where clothes are stored .Good bright light,bulbs available in cool white and warm white.He had all type of bulbs with various end fitting.

There website is www.atenlighting.co.uk/product

Resist the temptation to buy from rallies and motorhome shows. Go instead to B&Q or other light stockists and buy them at a fraction of the cost.

Most stores stock LED low voltage lighting which can readily be used in your van, discard the mains transformer and connect to the existing lighting, or install additional lighting that is wired from the mains via the transformer.

just fitted this to mine ............................................................................only joking :D :D

1590259498_ledlight.jpg.763e22e9160b3a67122b7ca090b71b12.jpg

Hi Mr Hood, thanks for showing an interest. The new lights in the Swifts are the brushed chrome ones, they look very smart and are alot smaller. The bulbs fitted to them i have not seen them that small before. I am going to look on the B &Q site we are going to the Belvoir Castle rally and it will give me an idea of prices before hand.

...still not sure if you are after replacement bulbs or full units.

If its bulbs you want, I would recommend http://www.atenlighting.co.uk. I have used bulbs from them over a few years, and experienced no problems whatsoever, even when used on hook-up where the voltage goes well above 12v.

I have experienced problems with bulbs from another major supplier, and the customer service aspect was not particularly good either. I do not appear to be alone in this, and there are details posted elsewhere on this site.

If you're looking for replacement units, many of the larger on-line motorhome accessory sites do them, and one potential advantage of buying from them is that you may manage to get different units that match other light fittings in your 'van.

Two notable suppliers (there are more) are

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk

http://www.caktanks.co.uk

...and recently, someone looking for matching units for an Autotrail found the following both cheap and quick (though with a limited range).

http://www.scscomponents.co.uk

I have just bought some more 12 volt LED bulbs from, and have had excellent service from, these guys:

http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/236-12v-led-lights.html

Their bulbs are very good (so far at least, having only just fitted them into the MH!), especially their "30SMD Panel Power 5050" LED strip light, which I've used to replace the 12 volt strip light bulb above the kitchen....superbly bright, yet draws only 4.7 watts, instead of the 16 watts of the old tube-style bulb.

In my opinion the "warm white" LED bulbs are the ones to go for; as they seem to give a much more natural light than the rather harsh light from the "bright white" bulbs.

I changed mine with the G4 from Aten lighting at Peterborogh show and they definitely improved the whole van. Put bright in the kitchen and bathroom and wam in all the rest including overhead spots and they are much more comfortable in use.

Link is above or you can get them from Motorhome dealers although I believe they give you a discount if you order bulk direct on line

I got a discount at the show for buying 8

Mike

Hi Bolero

I wanted to change my spotlight bulbs to LED's and I must admit they are quite expensive at the shows

The problem I had is the spotlights on my van had a glass over the bulb and this prevented me sucsefully changing the bulbs, I found that O'leary on line done a good deal and I bought four more modern spots with MR11 bulbs almost as cheap as four bulbs else ware

With the four spots on I use 0.8of an amp with one halogen light on above the cooker I use 1.6 amps a fair saving in juice

Terry

Archived