External Thermal Blinds For 2011 Fiat Ducato Cab.

Frank McAuley

Part of that variation in type/price is that there are different covers for different markets/uses. Some go winter sports vanning high in the Alps, where snow and intense cold are problems. Others use external covers in summer, mainly in UK, for privacy reasons. What suits the latter use won't suite the former, and those that suit the former will be very expensive overkill for the latter. So, it would be helpful to know where (geographical), and when (seasonal), you would want to use these covers. There will be no, overall, best, just better horses for some courses.

Mhome between early June and late Oct in British Isles and France. It's getting cold at the end of the period so I would need a fair degree of insulation but not the "overkill" you refer to.

Basically a good quality set that is not a waste of money and will last.

This is one of those questions that crops up from time to time, and evokes such splits of opinion that it is always difficult to pick a good direction from the replies.

For ease of use and storage, I would always pick a set that were easily "rollable", and, given your stated use, I think it would be best to buy a set with the foldable windscreen panel. This latter would allow you to let a significant amount of light into the cab, and have a view out, without mounting and de-mounting the screens every day.

The general recommendations for these have usually followed the two major UK suppliers:

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/

and:

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

...though recently the following (whose website currently appears to be down, so maybe bad news)

http://www.silverproducts.co.uk/

have been recommended (and appear to have a family connection with the first link above).

Other (European sourced) products are avaialble from such people as:

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/fourseasonsscreenpage.htm

though these are more rigid, and IMO more difficult to store and handle.

Across the years, I've always has Silverscreens, and can vouch (to date) for their efficacy and longevity. I've also found the firm easier to deal with than Taylormade, though I have seen the opposite opinion expressed.

I echo what Robin says. Either product should do what you want. We have tended to use ours roughly April to October (though we stay at home July/August) and, although we tend to head south relatively quickly in the spring, and back north again quickly in autumn, we have got away without taking insulating blinds, and without too much of a condensation problem except on a few nights.

So, for use in UK at these times of year, I would think any of the products Robin cites would be fine. I think you may find that the Vancomfort ones (if by Hindermann) are more expensive, but also more heavily insulated.

FWIW, I think it worth getting the variety with an extended front bib, that covers the scuttle air intakes and dresses onto the top of the bonnet - even though they will be that bit larger to store - to avoid the potential for draughts in the cab, and to reduce the heat losses at the base of the windscreen.

Remember, though, they are bulky items to store and carry, and can be quite a pain when you have to remove them on wet mornings.

Had to purchase a new set of 'Silverscreen' for new van last year as the shape of the vans had changed. The Motorhome has internal blinds which are good for privacy and to keep sun out but not much good for thermal insulation. Only tend to use the silverscreen in Winter (In combination with the interior blinds) and does the job pretty well. The front will roll down so that during the day you can let light in. Have never purchased any other make so cannot compare the products. I guess like Silverscreen though, you can order On-line or over the phone and they deliver to your door which is quite handy. If you go to the Motorhome shows they sometimes offer them at 'Show Discounts' which, if you were there may be worthwhile.

Big Momma - 2011-06-13 11:32 PM

Have never purchased any other make so cannot compare the products. I guess like Silverscreen though, you can order On-line or over the phone and they deliver to your door which is quite handy. If you go to the Motorhome shows they sometimes offer them at 'Show Discounts' which, if you were there may be worthwhile.

Silverscreens will also let you (by arrangement) pick them up from their premises. They will knock an amount off the price for this (presumably to allow for the fact that they don't need p&p, and somewhere around a tenner, though YMMV).

Since I can combine a call at Cleckheaton with other family visits, I've done this the last couple of times I've bought.

Have had both Silverscreen and Taylormade and in my opinion pound for pound Taylormade are a better option same thing and quality but a lot less money always worth a punt on e-bay or on this site small adds used you are looking around the £50 mark, one things for sure they totally elininate steamed up windows and increase internal temps when really cold and keep the interior cool in hot weather I would never travel without them.

Excellent and informative post from the one in Lincoln Green as per usual :-D

Just a note about storage; the TaylorMade rolled up into a round bag and was perfect for my previous low-profile 'van as you could lose it in the front overcab locker. My current PVC has a very shallow overcab 'gap', and I chose the Silver Products one because it folds flat into a flat bag, and slides into the gap a treat :-D

Hi Frank What is your Van.? We just changed our Van and have 3 piece set of Taylor Made from old 2003 Hymer 584 Classic going spare. If any use you can have them but we live in France.!

About to buy another set of TM's ( long line version to cover vents ) when opened Garage of new Van for first time and found a new single set that OK for summer.

Keith

Hi Keith

I'm in France at this time at Eymet south of Bergerac. I have a new Autotrail Delaware on its first trip so haven't got round to buying new screen- using my old Autosleeper Wilton ones .(poor fit).

I don't think your "old" screen would fit but I would like you to tell me,please, what you think of TM's; is it worth buying the long version;will you have them sent to France ?

I'm also looking at the German(isomatten) screens from Vancomfort !?

Regards

Frank McA.

Hi Frank,

We live in Village Tocane Saint Apre 24 KM Perigueux 14 KM Riberac so not far from where you are. Village has good Municipal Campsite c 10 € pn. Very happy with TM Silver Screens and will use them again. I understand they do a one piece fold down version, long line, to cover vents c £ 125.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Archived