George Orwell may have been right?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

My wife's driving license photo is 10 years old and needed to be renewed so I went online to apply.

Did you know that by linking your passport number to the driving license application 'they', whoever 'they' may be, can use the photo on your passport that the government has stored (if it is new enough) and apply it to your driving license without you having to submit a new photo?

Don't you find it just a little bit scary that the DVLA and the Passport Office are linked by computer, especially given both department's propensity for losing information and cock ups?

That surely makes a photo driving license linked to a passport into one of the best forms of ID card available - and most of us already have one!

They still charge you twenty quid for the new photo card license though!

Big Brother is alive and thriving and getting bigger every day.

Guest peter
I'd sooner that than have to ponce about getting more photo's done. Sounds like good interdepartmental integration to me. If they could tie up the complete systems we wouldn't have so much benefit fraud and tax dodging. No complaints from me.

Lots of people complain that they have to supply the same information to more than one Government Dept, "Why can't they just use the information that I have already sent them" is the cry. Now here they are utilising the technology available to share that information, prevent duplication of effort and thereby save money and somehow it's wrong.

You can please some of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time *-)

Guest Tracker

It's not intelligent use of information that concerns me - it's the potential for governmental ineptitude at securely storing such information and the potential for abuse and identity fraud by those who seek to gain access to such information that I find a bit scary?

Doesn't it concern you folk too - or do you absolutely trust the government's computer operators and systems?

Guest Tracker

By already linking your driver number and passport number all it needs is the addition of your NI number and NHS number - et voila - one all singing all dancing identity card!

Just don't lose it!

Unfortunately, whilst you are right Rich in that the Data is owned by the Government and therefore responsible for it, unfortunately, it is very often a Private IT company that is contracted to store and process the data. It is they that tend to breach it. It is not just Government that hold Data on all of us, Banks, Finance Companies, Credit card companies, Insurance companies, Store cards etc. etc, and if you ever watch the Panorama and other similar programmes you would see what they do with our personal data. It's not a case of losing it but just putting the hardcopy printouts into a bin bag and leaving outside for collection by.................... *-)

• 2 weeks later...
Tracker - 2011-06-13 3:49 PM

My wife's driving license photo is 10 years old and needed to be renewed so I went online to apply.

Did you know that by linking your passport number to the driving license application 'they', whoever 'they' may be, can use the photo on your passport that the government has stored (if it is new enough) and apply it to your driving license without you having to submit a new photo?

Don't you find it just a little bit scary that the DVLA and the Passport Office are linked by computer, especially given both department's propensity for losing information and cock ups?

That surely makes a photo driving license linked to a passport into one of the best forms of ID card available - and most of us already have one!

You are quite right. One day they'll be putting cameras in our homes to spy on us. And the sad thing is that most people are happy to let it happen! They'll be saying 'oh put it's for our own protection'.

wild rover - 2011-06-25 11:27 AM

Tracker - 2011-06-13 3:49 PM

You are quite right. One day they'll be putting cameras in our homes to spy on us. And the sad thing is that most people are happy to let it happen! They'll be saying 'oh put it's for our own protection'.

That's old hat, they did it years ago it's inside your TV, Light Bulbs, behind Mirrors etc. Do you not conduct a technical sweep of your house on a monthly basis :D :D

Guest Tracker
Big Momma - 2011-06-25 9:49 PM

That's old hat, they did it years ago it's inside your TV, Light Bulbs, behind Mirrors etc. Do you not conduct a technical sweep of your house on a monthly basis :D :D

Is a 'technical sweep' the latest 'action plan' type of definition for what us oldies used to call 'hoovering' - back in the day when Hoover made - er - hoovers?

If so - well no I don't do 'technical sweeps' - cos tha's not in my job definition - come to think of it since I retired there is nothing in my job definition except 'full time loafer' - but I don't seem to be able to do even that full time!

However I do indeed have an old hat - me fishin' hat - it's about 40 years old now and has been washed once about 15 years ago to de-bug it!

I do have my suspicions about the TV though because whenever a meerkat, dog, cat or other animal runs across the screen Rosie the lunatic collie goes round the back to see where it went - and I often wonder what she knows that I don't?

Archived