Davan Caravans

fithawk

We bought our first caravan from them – about 18 years ago! Fair dealers.

Bought many spares and so on over the years.

Bought an awning from them recently - excellent.

Looked at Motorhomes when we still lived in the area [up to 3 years ago] and there were a couple we may have considered buying, but the time was not right, although the prices were!!!

No reason to distrust them.

Never dealt with Davan, but did get the 'hard sell' there once - just walked away *-)

One more junction down the M5 (J22) has two very good dealers either side of the A38 roundabout - Highbridge Caravans and West Country Motorhomes. I've bought 'vans from both and they are honest traders, although I did hear that Highbridge are now a bit too busy for their own good, and the 'personal service' I received was lacking when my mate bought a motorhome earlier this year...

Yes, also dealt with Highbridge Caravan Centre and found them good. But it was some while ago.

But we did get the hard sell from West Country Motorhomes... we used to visit there a lot, just to view and keep an eye on prices.... but always felt "jumped on" and pressured!

Is Exeter too far for you to travel?

We would highly recommend Martins of Exeter - it's just off the Exeter motorway junction. First rate company. Excellent after sales service.

Gwendolyn - 2011-06-14 10:12 AM

Is Exeter too far for you to travel?

We would highly recommend Martins of Exeter - it's just off the Exeter motorway junction. First rate company. Excellent after sales service.

Or before you get that far south I can recommend Chelston Motorhomes at Wellington Nr. Taunton. They are just off the motorway (sorry can't remember the junction number) I had excellent sales service (no pressure) and very good after sales and service. The small warranty items were dealt with promptly and without resistance. (lol)

Roy Fuller

We are lucky to have so many dealers down this way, all vying for our 'country pounds'. You are going to need a full day to visit them all 8-)

Martins I think only sell used 'vans, 1 mile from Junction 30 (Exmouth road and do a u turn at the 1st roundabout.)

Chelston is a mile from J26 (Wellington) Straight across the roundabout when you hit the A38.

Another one selling used 'vans is Somerset Motorhome Centre, a mile from J25 (Taunton), take the A358 towards Chard.

Ah yes, I was forgetting Chelston.... you are spoilt for choice along the M5 / A38 from Exeter up to Davan at Weston..... we spent years haunting, and buying from, the various dealers - tents / trailer tents / caravans / motorhomes and all kinds of parts and accessories.

[There is also Somerset Caravans on the A38 at Walford Cross although I don't think they do Motorhomes now – if they ever did!]

We bought our first motorhome from them and would give them maybe 6/10 as a final score. All seemed fine until they the moment of handover, when the previously agreed trade-in price for our caravan suddenly dropped quite significantly as they found evidence of damp which I told them had been repaired but they didn't feel had been done properly. That aside, they point-blank refused to give me the damp test for the motorhome we were buying until I threatened to cancel the deal and walk away.

Those two things put a damper on the whole business. Having said that, when damp was found in the motorhome during the guarantee period they didn't quibble and did a decent job of repairing it.

Would I buy from them again? Maybe, but I'd be more on my guard this time.

Just remembered: if you're in the area, it might be worth popping into Jones Motorhomes at Lympsfield (between Davan and West Country Motorhomes). Only a small stock, but they did us a great p/x on our Davan-supplied Riviera against our current Bessacarr. The handover was excellent, and they attended to a couple of small guarantee items without the slightest fuss. I'd be very happy to buy from them if they had the van I wanted.

As said by other contributors, I have found the 'hard sell' a bit off putting at Davan. Also, not overly impressed with the presentation of the motorhomes on sale ie not very clean, inside or out.

Perhaps as a result, and because I didn't see exactly what I wanted, I haven't purchased a van from them, even though they are our nearest dealer (since the demise of Mendip Caravans).

Having said that, they do have a reasonable selection of vehicles and a good shop.

We find Highbridge Caravans are good for warranty service.

Bought a Compass Reflection caravan new from them in 1993 van lasted until 2006 when we upgraded to a Bailey! We had to have the roof refitted following hail damage they did an excellent job and was always a happy customer sadly moved away to what was Discover Leisure when they took over Mendip Caravans was not impressed and shortly after buying a new Bailey Pageant they shut down with loads of pending warranty work not completed despite the fact they had charged Bailey for the work being done!! Was told to take the van elsewhere thats when moved to Highbridge Caravans bought a new Lunar Quasar part exchanged the Bailey.

Decided I had seen the light at NEC Birmingham October 2010 bought a new Chausson Welcome Suite what a mistake this has been returned to dealer and in its place now have a Swift Mondial PVC much better all round! Not really happy to report my experience of Highbridge found them to be sadly lacking once you have parted with your cash! Next time I will be doing far more research before I hand over any more of my funds to motorhome "experts"!!

I could write a book on my experience of some West Country dealers but cant afford legal fees!!

On a happier note returned from Beer in Devon at weekend had a lovely experience of passing a double decker bus on the road out of Beer he was coming up I was coming down on a very narrow section of road, mirrors in and it sailed through although people on the bus were convinced that we were all going to meet a sticky end glad i was in a panel van not the Chausson! B-)

Archived