Dover Temporary Parking for Motorhomes

Mountain_Biker

I have not used Dover for a couple of years but will be wanting to overnight there myself in 6 weeks ready to catch early ferry. Last time I was there I parked up on 'Marina Drive' (or Avenue) without any problems whatsoever. There were even marked bays for Motorhomes.

I too will be interested to see if their have been any changes since my last visit, or alternatives to Marina Drive as I now have a larger Motorhome.

Improvements to the promenade at Dover (Marine Drive) were underway early last year but most of them had been completed when we were there last September - we overnighted as normal. Sorry I do not have more recent information.

Cattwg :-D

I stopped overnight in January this year with no problems. At the far end facing the coach bays you were still allowed to park overnight free. There are signs to this effect.

The only thing I was not sure of if I stayed later in the morning was that I may get a ticket because I take up more than 1 space.

Clive.

hi, we always used to park on marina drive with no problems,but then we decided to go across instead and spend the night in calais docks,therefore allowing us to get driving early in france without having to get up even earlier to catch the ferry. this suits us much better.

Marina Drive is still available for parking of motorhomes, but if there after 09:00 then a parking fee is payable. I have parked there with a trailer on the back and asked a warden if I should buy more than one ticket as I was taking up more than one bay, but was told that wasn't necessary. If you do intend to be there after 09:00 then you must obey the signs and park at the western end of the road. If you need to pay for the parking then the machines are set up so you can pay at any time after 17:00 (I think) the previous day and the charge starts from 09:00.

Hope this helps,

J

Overnight parking on Marine Parade for motorhomes or caravans is permitted only up near the Clock Tower ie nearer the Western Docks or the Cruise Liner Docks.

If you park at the other end, (infront of the big block of flats called "The Gateway" you can be fined/clamped. This area is reserved for cars & bikes only. The Port Police do regular Patrols & do occaisionally move people on. The residents of 'The Gateway' often phone the police to complain about the motorhomers who use the bushes as toilets & the rubbish.

To those doubters? - my 91 year old Mother lives in the Gateway & I have seen it - & it really does happen!

Also the small shelter near the Eastern docks on the front is a regular for drug users, so not the best place to stop.

Jeremy the L'AimeDuck

Big Momma - 2011-06-16 10:45 PM

Does anyone know if there are any large Supermarkets nearby (ASDA, TESCO etc) that have large car parks that may be used for overnighting ?

There is a big Tesco at Whitfield, Dover - about 2 miles out on the A2 - whether they allow overnighting or not I don't know.

Similarly there is a big Tesco & a big Sainsbury at Folkestone, (Tesco in Cheriton, Sainsbury in Folkestone just before the road tunnel). Again, don't know if they allow overnighting.

Jeremy the L'AimeDuck :-D :-D

Archived