travel to scotland from swansea

Guest 740sman

Guest 740sman
we are going to scotland via york,oban,and inverness.I think the miles would be around 1372 round trip.our motorhome is a autotrail 740s,we have not done a long trip like this one before.I think that the mpg will be 23.00 and our mph is 56.Can someone give me some idiea if my sums are right.Total cost in diesel £379.00 I think.Many thanks.

Distance and fuel cost look about right (assuming 23mpg and little diversion from the most direct routes).

I can't believe you will average 56mph, however, if that is what you intended to imply, even though large proprtions of the potential route are motorway, there are significant sections where speeds will be much lower.

Is there any reason why you are doing York as your first port of call ? You appear to be criss crossing a bit, not having a road map in front of me I would have said that the obvious route from Swansea would have been up the West to Oban, across to Inverness then down the East to York. But there may of course be reasons why you are doing the route the way you have stated.

When I work out my fuel per trip I tend to know how much mileage I can do on a full tank of fuel e.g. 90 Litre tank will average between 350-400 miles, 90 Litres of Fuel @ estimated £1.40 litre = £126. Therefore to do the same amount of mileage in my van would cost me around £500 (calculation based on 350 miles per tank, your mileage figure equivalent to 4 tanks of diesel on my van).

Guest Tracker

Whether you can average 56 mph depends on the time of day, traffic conditions and your attitude to rest breaks along the way.

It should certainly be possible on the motorway network but you might find at the sort of speed needed to average 56 mph, 23 mpg might be a tad optimistic?

When in touring and sightseeing mode an average of half that speed but a few more mpg is more likely?

Just go do it and enjoy it - don't worry about the cost - no doubt your kids won't miss the odd hundred or three from their inheritance!

I was down in your neck of the woods on business last year, and the quick route back was M4 > M5 or A469 via Ross on Wye > M 50 > M5 > M6 to Scotland and then M74 > M73 > A80 to Stirling , avoiding Glasgow and snarl ups. From Stirling you have a good take off point with two main scenic routes which would take you westwards to Oban and then northwards with a lot of fine scenery.

Homewards would be back down generally Edinburgh direction, and then A1 southwards taking in York..

Hope you have a good trip - our weather has been pretty good but cool - hence midge free!!

BobK

Archived