Payload OK but suspension on stops

TonyHilary

Hi, After a recent service by a reliable and experienced Mechanic, I was advised that the rear suspension on my 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.3 panel van conversion was practically on the stops. Having just returned from holiday, I had already unloaded the van and emptied all water etc, diesel was low as well.

The next day I went to a weighbridge after filling up the diesel to the brim. It recorded 2940kg without driver or water.

Can anyone advise ...could I have damaged or bent the suspension previously perhaps when carrying a scooter on the back even though it would have been within the legal payload? Is there anything I could or should do?

Even when fully laden with water/diesel/human beings/dog and scooter etc I calculate it would be within legal payload, so should I worry?

(?) Cheers Tony

Hi and oops! I missed the thread as I was touring the stunning and underrated west of Spain. Great posts by Shaun etc. Many thanks I hope this helps to link any other worried owners to the ''Spring-ergate'' thread!

However Hilary [my intended] says what if you really have actually knackerred, by overloading, the suspension...will it be ignored at MOT if its 'supposed' to look like this?

.......................Sound female logic??!!

Thanks again *-)

My Transit has about 25mm before the "auxillary suspension units" come into play. They are part of the suspension so are not an MOT fail.

But, if springs are overloaded as might be the case with a scooter hung out over the back due to the leverage exerting a lot more load on the rear springs particularly on rough roads, then yes, the springs could have lost their shape and be flat. I can't think of a way to check them as when they touch the rubber bit they look the same regardless of whether they are knackered or not.

I suppose that if they were removed and compared with a new pair that would prove the point.

My solution, should the need arise, will be to fit air suspension units, having driven a vehicle with them fitted I rate them.

H

My Transit has about 25mm before the "auxillary suspension units" come into play. They are part of the suspension so are not an MOT fail.

But, if springs are overloaded as might be the case with a scooter hung out over the back due to the leverage exerting a lot more load on the rear springs particularly on rough roads, then yes, the springs could have lost their shape and be flat. I can't think of a way to check them as when they touch the rubber bit they look the same regardless of whether they are knackered or not.

I suppose that if they were removed and compared with a new pair that would prove the point.

My solution, should the need arise, will be to fit air suspension units, having driven a vehicle with them fitted I rate them.

H

Archived