Parking Camera v Parking Sensors. Which makes best sense?

fithawk

Once again , both. We have a rear view camera fixed to our Escape which is always on providing a rear view mirror, however for reversing its not good at judging distances.

Some kits do both, have a look at parking cameras .co.uk

Camera,

I have a camera on the MH and dont have any probs judging distance in fact I can reverse to within a couple of inches of a wall etc. Maybe it depends what sort you get and were you mount it, mine is mounted just under the number plate so its quite low.

I have sensors on my 4x4 and there good but would defo go for camera on a motorhome, as stated by previous gentleman you have to watch for children when backing out of pitches etc.

snitrats - 2011-06-14 2:37 PM

Once again , both. We have a rear view camera fixed to our Escape which is always on providing a rear view mirror, however for reversing its not good at judging distances.

That's not legal as it counts as a TV. I looked into having the camera on our Auto-Trail modified to act as a reversing camera only to find that doing so is not legal.

Colin Leake - 2011-06-14 4:15 PM

That's not legal as it counts as a TV. I looked into having the camera on our Auto-Trail modified to act as a reversing camera only to find that doing so is not legal.

Now that is a whole new can of wriggly things - any thoughts out there?

:-S :-S

Tiny Tim - 2011-06-14 4:21 PM

Me thinks this is going to get good :-D

I tell you the programmes on my rear view mirror are a sight more interesting than whats on th box!

Anyway how about vehicles that have cameras instead of wing mirrors?

I tell you the programmes on my rear view mirror are a sight more interesting than whats on th box!

Anyway how about vehicles that have cameras instead of wing mirrors?

Ahh??!! I have a TFI LCD Digital Colour Monitor/TV as a rear view mirror & reversing aid.

I did try to use the thing as a TV once & failed but it is obviosly useless as it shows everything mirror image. I can see no way short of an electronics degree to alter this.

Imagine watching the Great Escape ..... they'd all break back in!

;-) ;-)

In addition to this thread - You realise that if you watch TV on your Computer in you motorhome that you probably also need a TV licence...???????.

I checked this out when my daughter went to university - each person in the halls of residence had to buy a TV licence. One building, 100 students, 100 TV licences. Money for old rope!

I wrote to my MP about it, Ed Vaizey- He is now Media Minister or somesuch. I received a nice letter back saying ...........you guessed ......nothing but waffle! :D

Jeremy the L'AimeDuck

Confusion, I think. It is illegal for the driver to watch broadcast TV, or videos, while driving. It is not illegal to have a rear view camera and monitor as an aid to safer driving. If it were, apart from me, an awful lot of coach, and truck, drivers would be driving illegally, and Waeco would also be selling their twin lens rear view/reversing camera illegally.

However, it depends a bit on how the rear of your van is configured. If there is a bike rack, for example, either would need to be mounted on the rack to be of use. Not always practical, and will limit the usefulness of any such device.

However, with no bike rack, my preference is for the camera, because I can actually see what is behind and, because of the lens angle, also see what is about to walk behind! Sensors can tell you there is an obstruction, and how close to it you are, but they can't tell you the nature of the obstruction. Neither can they tell you about the dirty great tree branch you are about to crunch your roof on, but the Waeco twin lens camera can, because you can switch from look down view to rear view at will, so you can check for high, as well as low, level obstructions.

Guest Tracker

Parking sensors are not 100% either at distance or objects and the flippin things bleep at you with remorseless ferocity!

Camera is silent and relies on 100% human eyeball - just like a mirror - and that has always worked well provided the driver looks at it!.

So we ditch the sensors and use only a camera.

Camera everytime for me.

On the subject of legality of having a monitor in a moving vehicle I am now worried about all those camera systems we have supplied to buses, trucks and taxis. Leeds Council have a very comprehensive details of what can be fitted to taxi cabs.

Perhaps the originator of this idea could tell us where he found information that led him to believe it is illegal.

My personal oppinion is that its a missunderstanding of the law. Sure you cant watch dvd's whilst driving for obvious reasons and the software on DVD capabale sets is only viewable when the vehicle is stationary. However to use a monitor as rear view mirror makes perfect sense to me. If that 's a manufacturers option (not a get around), and being a newbe I don't know, then it must be ok.....Is it a manufacturers option to use the camera as rear view when driving? I.e switch it on or off?

Camera for me every time, I have mine on all the time, I can see the tow bar at the back of the van and can reverse to within a fraction of an inch of any obstacle, also, mine has sound and the monitor, clips over the interior mirror, as I have to park on the road at home, the little angels by us, don't realise that its there, if it was a large monitor on the dash, it would be gone in weeks.

Pete

Archived