Emptying fresh/waste water tanks

blikkies

Hi,

I am after some advice from some seasoned campers please! To empty the water (fresh and waste) we currently have to lean under the van and pull out some flexi hose with a tap on the end, is it possible to make this arrangement more permanent with a tap possibly at the side or at the rear of the motorhome?

Thanks

Guest Tracker

In a word - yes!

Almost every van I've had has this arrangement and I simply make up a bracket out of either aluminium or flattened 15mm copper tube and fix the tap to the side skirt of the van.

Sometimes when the side skirt is higher than the bottom of the tank it's better to clip the tap into a sprung steel tool clip so that it can still be dropped to empty the tank and this can often be achieved by relocating the original clip.

Sometimes it's easier than others depending on the length of hose available and the type and ground clearance of the side skirt panel but a little ingenuity usually resolves it!

Guest peter
Our van doesn't have a pipe at all. We have a hole in the floor covered by a hatch and just dump the waste water through it. It's great as it's in the centre of the van and no-one can see us dumping. :D

Mandy&Andy - 2011-06-14 8:04 PM

Awww I was expecting the usual spat we have, of when and where we can empty.

Never mind maybe this will carry on a little and as often happens stray off course (lol) (lol)

Mandy

Never EVER dump your waste water ANYWHERE other than a designated waste water receptacle that has been checked, tested, authorised and licenced by Her Majesty's Government. >:-(

Is that the kind of post you were expecting? :D :D :D

Back to the OP. A tap on the end of a flexible hose, and fixed by a Terry clip on the outer edge of the floorpan, works a treat. I have this arrangement for both waste water and the fresh tank on my PVC.

It was a bit of a culture shock after my 'entry level' Chausson, with proper welded plastic pipes and corporation cocks, though.

To return to the old 'hang it on a clip' arrangement in a supposedly 'up-market' Auto-Sleepers leaves a little bit to be desired... 8-)

peter - 2011-06-14 9:08 PM

Our van doesn't have a pipe at all. We have a hole in the floor covered by a hatch and just dump the waste water through it. It's great as it's in the centre of the van and no-one can see us dumping. :D

.... and is your toilet like the older railway carriages, with a hole that discharges straight onto the track?

I can just imagine the sign on the door:

:D

khazi.jpg.941483a96f3402b7d683bbde7e32ff99.jpg

blikkies - 2011-06-14 7:17 PM

Hi,

I am after some advice from some seasoned campers please! To empty the water (fresh and waste) we currently have to lean under the van and pull out some flexi hose with a tap on the end, is it possible to make this arrangement more permanent with a tap possibly at the side or at the rear of the motorhome?

Thanks

....and after a bit of frivolity, a more serious answer!

It's usually reasonably easy to amend the drain capabilities of these tanks, the limit of what you can achieve is generally set by the location of the tanks and the geography of the vehicle; though also by how much you want to play about with the method of attaching a drain solution to the tank (i.e. do you want to provide an outlet that is wider or in a different position, or for ease of fitting do you want to attach to whatever the converter has fitted).

For ideas as to what is possible, and the types of fitments you can get, a peruse of the online catalog at http://www.caktanks.co.uk - where there is a vast array of options - might help.

Archived