Parking in Darlington

Petra

Having just returned from a trip to the beautiful Durham Dales thought you might be interested in the following.

Parking a motorhome in Darlington. Park at the Coach and Lorry Park at Chestnut Street and it is free during the day and costs £4 from 6pm to 8am with no restrictions on sleeping in your vehicle. Confirmed by Darlington Borough Council. The park is only 10 minutes walk from the town centre.

Why do people flock to the Caravan Club sites? The new site at Barnard Castle is more of a car park at the moment and it is very difficult to walk into town as there are no footpaths. It is also right next to the road. Just a mile further on is Pecknell Farm, very quiet and pretty and in a much nicer location. Also you can walk into town without dodging cars or destroying verges. A little further on at Cotherstone is Doe Park another very well run quiet site within walking distance of the village.

Suppose one good thing about the CC site is that more people will visit the Dales.

Petra - 2011-06-14 8:48 PM

Why do people flock to the Caravan Club sites?

I fail to understand it too can't think of a worse place to stay, I can only assume they miss their conscription days and being bossed around by the Sargent Major.

I agree with the view of the CC site at Barnard Castle, it suffers from being exposed, having little mature vegetation, and the over-abundance of hardstanding which appears to be creeping into many CC sites. (It's the size, not the number, which make it like a car park - though as we tend to use such hardstandings over the winter months, perhaps I shouldn't complain).

The C&CC site just up the road is better positioned (albeit further to walk into town) and considerably more attractive (and at Easter was also considerably cheaper than the CC site).

However, AFAIK, there is a footpath next to the CC site that drops into the valley below and provides a walk into the town without using the road. (We saw people descending from the site)

This same valley provides the walking route from the C&CC site, and is a pleasant enough walk.

Archived