cadec gas BBQ

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

need a new smaller gas BBQ for panel van. A friend of mine has the bigger cadec carri chef on the 3 legs and I was thinking of the smaller one? Does the smaller one (safari?) have the BBQ plate with slots in as I cant tell from adverts, also does it have the grease catcher thingy like the larger ones?

also I will be connectiong it to vans refillable LPG sytem...what presure do I need? as they do a low presure and high presure versions...

The high pressure version is for use with disposable gas cylinders that screw into the base, the low pressure version is for use off a regulator so could be used off the vans gas via a BBQ point.

Can't answer your question on crease catching ability as I have the larger easy chef version.

Good to see you took my advice on a previous post about checking out the Cadac Safari Chef.

No acknowledgement, but that's because I'm not in your 'clique', I suppose...

The Safari Chef has a reversible plate for frying and grilling, and a flame deflector and grill plate for barbecuing. These all fit into the 'grease catcher thingy'; it just depends on what kind of cooking you are doing.

The Safari Chef also has an enamel lid that can be used as a wok if you turn it upside down. As a lid it keeps the heat in and helps you cook/barbecue very quickly if necessary.

All this fits into the supplied carry-bag, where you can also keep the gas hose curled up. It takes up very little room in my PVC.

This little bit of kit has everything the standard-sized Cadac has and more, albeit on a smaller scale. I have never run out of cooking space, even when cooking for four. You can remove all the parts for cleaning, and you can use just the base as a hob if you want to heat up a kettle, boil veggies, use a frying pan etc.

Down-sides? - You need to use it on a table, really. And the flame adjustment is a bit iffy in daylight, as you can't really see it - OK in the dark though :-D

Just had a look on the cadac web site , before buying the safari model check out the travel chef, it seems to have the same slotted BBQ top as per it's bigger brother, downside it doesn't seem to have the wok facility. On the plus side it gives the flexibility of running on screw in cylinders and low pressure feed from the van.

Guest JudgeMental
oldlowie - 2011-06-15 10:09 AM

Down-sides? - You need to use it on a table, really. And the flame adjustment is a bit iffy in daylight, as you can't really see it - OK in the dark though :-D

Thanks....Yes that is why the wife wants the bigger one with legs. But space is limited in a PVC and there is mainly just the two of us to cater for I think the safari would be OK.

I doubt it is as good a BBQ as our "broil King" but it is less then half the size and weight....

We have a safari chef.

|Yes it is a bit low to the ground but We had an old redundant whirligig washing line in alumninium I cut the main pole into 3 equal lengths, squashed one end of each so that the legs of the cadac would fit and hold reasonably tight. Ok it dos not look that pretty but it works well. With a little more thought something better could be made.

David

David Dwight - 2011-06-15 10:42 AM

We have a safari chef.

|Yes it is a bit low to the ground but We had an old redundant whirligig washing line in alumninium I cut the main pole into 3 equal lengths, squashed one end of each so that the legs of the cadac would fit and hold reasonably tight. Ok it dos not look that pretty but it works well. With a little more thought something better could be made.

David

Have you been watching War Of The Worlds :D

I can recommend the Safari Chef thoroughly - it convinced me to convert from a lifelong love of charcoal, at least while away in the motorhome. Very small and neat when packed, yet capable of producing some really tasty good with proper barbecued flavour. It's definitely a bit on the low side, but we have some v. small folding stools which make it feasible to use without a table. At least it's high enough not to burn the grass. The only snags I've found are that point already made about being difficult to know how high the flame is in daylight, and the need to protect it from strong wind (which tends to blow out the flame if you're not careful).

Hi Judge, we use one with the disposable gas cannister and find it excellent for our needs. Just the two of us and we ( well I ) cook all sorts on it. We use the lid as a wok and cook a good stir fry, ours has a hot plate and the usual bbq mesh. It does have a plate with holes to evenly distribute the heat.

I asked about running it off a bigger gas bottle, say camping gas or van but was told this wasn't possible. i'd be interested if you hear different.

Bon appitite :-D

Guest JudgeMental
David Dwight - 2011-06-15 10:42 AM

We have a safari chef.

David

I have a length of galvanised 25mm conduit, maybe I could make some legs from that............ looks like its the safari then :-D

Big Momma - 2011-06-15 8:00 PM

We have the smaller version and just stand it on top of a plastic lidded crate which brings it to just the right height to have by the reclining chair :D

Great minds must think alike. Also the crate is a handy place to rest a glass of what you fancy while cooking :-D

Guest JudgeMental
crate?....A CRATE!!....... how can i dance around the barbie in me speedos with a crate in the way! :-S

Hopesy - 2011-06-15 8:53 PM

Big Momma - 2011-06-15 8:00 PM

We have the smaller version and just stand it on top of a plastic lidded crate which brings it to just the right height to have by the reclining chair :D

Great minds must think alike. Also the crate is a handy place to rest a glass of what you fancy while cooking :-D

Oh my good man, invest in a good quality chair with an attachable tray to hold one's Vino and Ashtray for one's cigar :D

JudgeMental - 2011-06-15 8:57 PM

crate?....A CRATE!!....... how can i dance around the barbie in me speedos with a crate in the way! :-S

Bits of old galvanised pipe, clothes airers and crates? Just to elevate the little chap? Best to have the old legs amputated at thigh level 8-)

This could have implications for driving between sites, though... *-)

Guest JudgeMental
camperadi - 2011-06-16 10:04 PM

just had an email from towsure. They have sale on for cadac at moment. Didn't read fully cos i am not looking for one and deleted now. might be worth a look on thier web site you might save a few bob stuart

Thanks!...But just checked and safari model £20 cheaper on ebay with free postage...my mate got his bigger one from towsure and it was a bargain though...

Archived