Licence - photo renewal?

Madmaggott

Just arrived back home from extended holiday in France, refreshed and ready for anything.  Except I wasn't expecting letters from DVLA telling us that our driving licence photos have to be renewed (at a cost of £20!)

Now we were aware that my OH would have to renew every 5 years when he gets to his 70th birthday but that's a while away yet.

Question:  Is this photo renewal a compulsory thing or can we choose to just have the paper licence?  If so how?

I think once they have 'caught' you on the photo licence then you will have no alternative to renewing every 10years, I had to get replacement licence couple of years back for lost one and there was no alternative to photo licence

hubby will have to renew every 3 years when he gets to 70, not neccesary to change photo, we didn't and have renewed twice since reaching our three score years and 10

PJAy from a vry hot sunny Spain in Andalusia

What's a photocard licence?

I've carefully preserved my licence from when we moved here just over 13 years ago, so it's one of the last thype of the one-piece ones. I suppose they'll catch up with me eventually, but hopefully not until next time we change address (whenever that might be!). It expires when I'm 70, but we'll have moved before then anyway.

Had to renew my photo card this year, went to main post office, they will take your photo while you wait

(your photo has to meet certain standards, get it wrong get it returned) they check everything is correct, send it off and it was returned within a week. cost around £25.00 in total including licence fee, if you use a booth for your photo, that costs around a fiver on its own, just for the pictures and there is no guarantee that the photo will be accepted, do it check and send, and it's not right, they do it again with no further cost to you.

If you don't have it done and get stopped, you can be done for having no licence, I only found out by chance, thought it was a one off photo.

Pete

Madmaggott - 2011-06-15 10:19 AMWe had to send them for the address to be altered 5 years ago so I suppose technically that wasn't a renewal, so perhaps the old renewal date still applies? 

That's correct - Its the photocard that has to be updated so that the image remains a relative likeness. The renewal date is from the original date of issue and not any subsequent amendments such as name changes, address changes or penalty point removals.I wish I'd been farsighted enough to have kept my old paper licence. Ken.

Guest Tracker
If you have a passport with a less than 5 year old photo you can apply online and for £20 they will reissue a new driving license using the passport photo thus saving you the need for a new photo, or traipsing into a post office, or the extra fiver they want for taking a photo, or any postage, and even walking to a post box to post the application!

Tracker - 2011-06-15 2:54 PMIf you have a passport with a less than 5 year old photo you can apply online and for £20 they will reissue a new driving license using the passport photo thus saving you the need for a new photo, or traipsing into a post office, or the extra fiver they want for taking a photo, or any postage, and even walking to a post box to post the application!

Yes, I've now done that with mine.

Slight problem with hubby's renewal though; his passport is more than 5 years old so can't renew on-line.  And, after sorting out the 2 carrier bags of post when we got back home, I shredded the unwanted paperwork with addresses etc on; trouble is instead of shredding the 2 welsh versions of the renewal as I intended, I actually shredded both copies of his renewal!

So  ............  I've got both versions of the renewal form for me but don't need them as I did it online, but no form for him so had to order a D1 pack.

Ok daft I know; but I was very tired!!!

Madmaggott - 2011-06-15 5:23 PMThanks for the help everyone.

Now I've just got to renew the electricity contract, the van insurance, the car insurance and find an ISA to move to now the fixed term has ended!!!!  Oh, nearly forgot; 2 tax returns to complete.

You'll need another holiday after that lot B-)

No.

The old style paper licence is valid in most countries that a photocard one is.

A small number of countries insist on a photocard licence, or an International Driving Permit to accompany your paper licence.

e.g. Slovenia, where I visited last year.

For some countries, any UK licence will not be acceptable, and an IDP is required.

The Foreign Motoring section of the AA website is where I usually check, and "reverse engineering" of the information held on the following page will give you the lowdown.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/idp-requirements-by-country.html

Archived