V184

Each have their advantages Nicola.

My FWD one has extra bits of underfloor storage, because there's no mechanical stuff running under the floor. But occasionally, on very wet grass, I've wished I had RWD as most people feel that gives better traction. However, not many RWDs about on van conversions, just a few on coachbuilts - some of which even have twin rear wheels.

Personally, I wouldn't let it be a "deal-breaker" either way, if the rest of the van is right for you.

Glad to see your considering coming over to Ford - maybe if we all go to Bury St Ed's again at Christmas, you can show us whatever van you've bought by then! :-D

josie gibblebucket - 2011-06-15 12:58 PM Oh ok, thankyou. Which is best for a motorhome then, front or rear wheel drive?

FWD will give a lower floor and /or additional storage, RWD will only give better traction if the rear axle is loaded more than the front, and if a twin you could end up with both axles at the rear spinning! But with a heavy van like that you wouldnt venture onto grass would you?

Sorry Roger, I didn't make my meaning clear enough. When I mentioned twin-wheelers, I was referring to four wheels on one axle, not two axles.

And Josie, we hardly ever see another Cavarno on the road (perhap because they only make 20 or so a year, so they're spread a bit thin around the country/continent).

We see even fewer of them for sale secondhand - partly because no-one wants to part with them, partly (until recently) because the (then) sole retailer, Steve Wood of Roy Wood Transits, had a bit of a habit of buying them back. Not sure how that'll work in future, as RWT don't do them anymore (Horizons sell them direct now).

I'll PM you with news.

T x

Archived